Defect in rear hatch 2013 with strip package

Jazzyjeff0129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Defect in rear hatch 2013 with stripe package

So I own a 2013 srt viper GTS with a the charcoal stripe package. Bought brand new. Drove it home and parked it in my garage. A couple weeks later I took it out for a drive and when I returned I decided to wash and wax it for the first time.

I was quite surprised to find a three inch by three inch bubble in the carbon fiber of the rear hatch. If you are wondering if you also have this defect it is just left of the left stripe. Closer towards the rear glass.

As you must imagine I was pissed. I took it the dealer where I bought it and the service department took pictures and emailed viper enhanced customer care. The outcome was a brand new hatch which showed up two weeks later, but,it had scratches and you could actually see the carbon fiber through the clear coat. So now I await another hatch from viper.the hatch cost 4967 and of course it was warranties but it doesn't end there.

The hatch that they have sent was not painted by the factory so now it does not exactly match the paint that is on the car. I am currently going through arbitration process for a manufacturer buy back of my car.

If you have the defect on your viper please let me know the last 8 digits in your vin, I am considering a class action suit against dodge and viper for the complete buy back of our vehicles.

If you decide to keep your car please remember that it will lower your sell price or trade value.

Sincerely Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jazzyjeff0129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know how to post the pics I have they are in my email if you can help me I would love to post so everyone knows where to look.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
confused why you want to lawyer up and do a class-action suit. Just either have them buy the car back of have properly fixed by having the factory at prefix provide the new painted hatch. Do you for sure know many others have been impacted or just yours?

OP
OP
J

Jazzyjeff0129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If someone cam pm me with a email address and can post my pics for me on my thread I'd appreciate it, thsnkd

OP
OP
J

Jazzyjeff0129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have found five with the same defect all with the stripe package. And the factory
Can't paint the new hatch without it being on a car. The supplier keeps having ones painted and they don't match. As far as lawyers that was not my first thought I gave them every chance to do right by me and they failed.

Would you want to own a 140000 car and have someone hit you with major reduced trade in or sale price because your paint didn't match?

pdv25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are his pics!

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Your original thread just came off strange.

Hope you get it resolved to your liking. I'd be ********** too.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was thread from a member in california he bought a launch edition last year, one of the doors was longer or something like that and was rubbing a paint off. he ended up with just a buy back from dodge. i wonder if there a way to contact the factory directly in this particular matter?

OP
OP
J

Jazzyjeff0129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been in contact with everyone from the factory to the reps and enhanced customer care for viper and they just think I'm going to,go away. I wish I could,say mine was the only one but where I bought this one they have a 2013 red and when I pointed it out to the service manager he has already ordered a new hatch for his, but he is not really sure how it will come out after seeing the two hatches they tried to send me.
I offered for viper to,either pay up a ten grand diminished value payment or buy back and they just keep playing games.

I also found three other ones with the same defect. I hope this costs viper millions.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You seem pretty spiteful. Your info above is incorrect though. a friend of mine had the rear glass issue. The factory sent out a new hatch painted from prefix that was a perfect match. Just don't accept anything other than the factory built offering and you will be good to go.
I have been in contact with everyone from the factory to the reps and enhanced customer care for viper and they just think I'm going to,go away. I wish I could,say mine was the only one but where I bought this one they have a 2013 red and when I pointed it out to the service manager he has already ordered a new hatch for his, but he is not really sure how it will come out after seeing the two hatches they tried to send me.
I offered for viper to,either pay up a ten grand diminished value payment or buy back and they just keep playing games.

I also found three other ones with the same defect. I hope this costs viper millions.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should not use the word incorrect, but more accurate on my suggestion for the solution that will fix the problem. I would stop worrying about others cars and defect. They have already agreed you have a defect. Just demand the proper fix.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably nothing to do with the actual stripes I would think. Unless it was caused by some type of painting buck the hatch was hanging on while they applied the stripes??

OP
OP
J

Jazzyjeff0129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know but seems it's only on the ones with the stripes. According to the factory rep the stripes are paint on the car so that they are even. Doesn't make sense to me.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a pic from about four ft back. Your current pic looks like a ***** cell in a petri dish. Food for thought your only posts relate to your problem. Secondly, you want to ruin a company because you don't like the response of a dealers dept. Lastly, you mention other issues without support data.

IMHO you may have a problem, but, you are handling it the wrong way.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a pic from about four ft back. Your current pic looks like a ***** cell in a petri dish. Food for thought your only posts relate to your problem. Secondly, you want to ruin a company because you don't like the response of a dealers dept. Lastly, you mention other issues without support data.

IMHO you may have a problem, but, you are handling it the wrong way.

This.

Pics are really poor cell phone shots. Get a real camera and SHOW the damage in detail. Looks like we're trying to find sasquatch out of focus in an old VHS film.

That said, any REAL, GOOD body shop should be able to paint a hatch. They should shoot test panels with the base mix and the 2 variances of the mix and match it accordingly.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having a little trouble understanding why this has not been fixed already. They should remove the hatch; send it back to prefix; and have prefix do what is necessary to fix it. That whole process, assuming normal land freight shipping times, should take about two weeks or so. In the meantime, the dealer can give you a rental car. If Prefix fixes it, there would be no diminished value since it would be an OEM, as good as new, fix.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel for you spending that amount of money to have this happen but hope you get it resolved soon. Now where is that statement I read from SRT telling the world they have stepped up their quality control and inspection process on the Gen V? Hmmmm

Bryan Savage

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like GTSR 91's article says, and like we all know, these cars are all hand painted and assembled. I'd have a hard time believing something like that made it past quality control. A blemish on a high-gloss black finish is usually visible from like, other planets. Maybe there was a layer of the carbon fibre that didn't get enough resin on it and with some heat in it, it lifted. I bet the black cars get quite toasty in the sun.

Jeff, it's too bad you're having trouble getting the situation resolved, but I don't think a "class action suit" and trying to force a buyback is really warranted. Like others have stated, it appears this is just being poorly handled by whatever shop is attempting to fix it. The photos of the original problem are of the hatch that's gone, so now a replacement hatch shows up that seems to have been mishandled during shipping and then improperly painted (though you don't mention it being painted at all). I mean, yeah, you shouldn't have to go through what you're going through, but your reactions seem a little extreme. But... I guess if you've tried everything else... :dunno:

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why not try contacting a ceo personally? plenty of them have social media pages through various services.

OP
OP
J

Jazzyjeff0129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys I did not start this thread to be bashed or told stupid answers. I only posted as I have seen five cars with this defect maybe there are more and those of us who bought a 140000 car can either get it fixed or have a refund.
I personally don't understand why some are telling me to have the factory paint the hatch when they did according to the factory rep, not the dealer trying to fix it. It showed up with scathes buffer marks and you could see strands of the carbon fiber showing through the clear coat.
As far as the pictures if you are blind I will send them in brail next time for you folks.

I find it funny that the factory places a sticker on the drivers window claiming how many inspections these car went through before leaving the factory..lol yeah right.

And as for a class action suit, that is my claim as it has been almost two months with no results.

And maybe some of you guys would accept a panel painted on your 140000 car but I for one am not one. If I have an accident, ok, but a brand new car with now 700 miles on it, no thanks, I bought this car as a left over and any newly painted hatch or any panel for that fact will not match 100%.

So again thanks for all the negativity and stupidity. When it's your car do what you wish, but this one is mine and I want damn answers fro. The factory.

OP
OP
J

Jazzyjeff0129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh yes sorry to drag this out but just received a response for the center for dispute resolution and they have granted a panel hearing for binding arbitration for payment from viper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave