Delorean Falling, Viper Rising.....

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that the Delorean is on the auction block, and it will sell. Ive decided its time to deeply look into vipers. The most I'd Have is about 28,000$, What Type of viper could i get for that price, its my first viper so I'd best be economical about it as this will probably happen around 6-12 months after my family moves into a house.

Any imput?

Insurance Companies, Pros cons? Maintainence? I need to know everything about the car that I am going to buy, before I buy it...it helped me greatly with the Delorean.

Your Help would be greatly appreciated.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
28k for a Viper is not going to happen, unless you get something wrecked that needs repairs.

Save up some more money.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would wait. A $28k Viper is not going to be the car of your dreams.

Remember too that cars depreciate - house appreciate.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that you could find a number of regular gen1 drivers for $28k.
You won't have to buy a wreck or a rebuilt. I think a gen1 car that's been treated like a regular car, driven over 30k, is what you can buy for $28k.
I see perfect, low miles gen1s going for $35k or so, of course you can get a car for $28k.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO $28k for a Viper will be very difficult, but that depends on what you want. I agree that it won't be very nice if you find one, or it will have TONS of miles on it. Which means you would have to put money into it to make it "Nice".
For example, last summer I sold a '94 RT/10 for a friend, stock with 15k miles, needed side sills painted($500), but was in very nice condition. Got $35k real quick, and many other offers near that. Might be better to save up a little more and purchase one that has been well taken care of and has lots of life left in it.

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted. But be careful, there are quite a few 'Banged up' Vipers out there that are claimed to be EC and very clean!
:usa:

Here's an example of something I saw out there for $28k: http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=129797825&dealer_id=&car_year=1994&make=DODGE&distance=any&max_price=30000&model=VIPER&end_year=1996&advcd_on=n&min_price=&address=46383&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1992&color=&cardist=1756

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't argue with $35k for the car you speak of. Did you sell it within the last year? I'm just saying that car was in, like you say, "very nice". I think there are plenty of ordinary Vipers out there. Cars with a few door dings, scratches on the chin, just a regular car, not a wreck not a rebuild, just a ordinary 30k miles car, a driver. If you got $35k for yours what would one like I described be worth? I say it could be had for under $30.
The guys on this board are serious Viper enthusiasts. They are very critical of defects. That's understandable because it's their thing. But, there are many Vipers out there that get treated like regular cars and those Vipers are worth less than the one that you sold for $35k.
Any other car that was 9 years old with 30k miles would be a cream puff.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree, I don't think you will find a Viper under $30K. Even rebuilt, h3ll I went to a dealer only salvage auction last week in Boston and a wrecked 95 (pretty easy fix-hood, front conver, headlights) Did $18K Those $25K cars on Ebay never actually sell.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, I agree that it is possible to find a Viper for $28k, I don't think it will be 'nice'. The one I sold(for a friend), was last summer, it had no extras, a few dings on the left rear panel, and the side sills that need paint(bubbles). Original tires too. And was well taken care of. I had many calls from thos looking to spend $33k or so also.
The link I posted was one with 78k miles, and said to be in great condition for $28k. So there's one. But that's a lot of miles.
I guess it just depends on what AviSarfaraz wants and is willing to overlook.

I agree 100% that those on this board are Serious Enthusiasts! :D I have personally, never seen a Viper for under $30k, $35 even, that was Clean enough for me. I am sure I would feel sick to my stomach if I had scratches, dings, etc on my Dream Car! :(

So hey, AviSarfaraz, what are you expecting from a Viper at this price to be happy!?? :D

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way in heck would I sell my '95 for anything close to 28k. That is close to the salvage value. If you see one below 35k the car either has something wrong or the owner is in a must sell position. Normal selling price for a Gen I is around 40k. Not saying you cannot find an owner that does not know the value or one that needs to unload it quickly, but the market price is higher.

You may also have been observing a lower selling value due to SRT purchasers selling their Gen I. That is a short term impact as SRT deliveries occur and owners become motivated to sell quickly. I would think that most SRT buyers would have already completed sales, thus the buyer market is coming to a close.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bottom of this years prices has come and gone...... but even at that, most good Gen I cars were in the mid 30's. With Summer close at hand, and great driving weather already here in most of the country, the cars are moving through the classifeds pretty fast, with 30K mile nice cars seeming to be moving in the lower to mid 30's (last year, these cars were in the mid to upper 30's, and they may get back there by summer), with low milage extra babied cars moving in the mid to upper 30's and even 40's.

I've said it a million time's..... the body parts on Vipers are so expensive that it really helps keep prices up :)

Put the money in the house. A 28K Viper will be a car that is best left to a person willing to work on it themself. Don't forget, it will cost you the same to insure a fleet of Delorian's as it will one Viper. In my case, all my other vehicles (4) equal my Viper insurance.

OP
OP
A

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see, Well, What Would be a good price for a R/T 10? I'd definatley have more than 28k, but it was just to see what where my chances.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's quite a leap, from a PRV 3.0L V6 to a V10. I was certified on these cars years ago and I must say they were more than interesting to work on...Congrats and good luck in your quest!

OP
OP
A

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally want a car, that is in good working order, I don't mind too much on miles, but I'd like to keep the miles under 35k. I want to buy a car that is a driver, I hate seeing good cars become garage queens. But I want the car to be in overall good condition, if there are a few imperfections, I want it so they are not so expensive fixes.

I want a Overall "Nice" Condition Car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger