Depreciation of driving car 1150 miles - vs shipping - '08 Viper conv?

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should car be DRIVEN 1150 miles for about $150 in gas ... or shipped for $950? Has 3000 miles on it - '08 conv - Viper Blue.

I think you would depreciate the car MORE by driving it, than the $800 cost difference ... and by A LOT in my opinion.

Anyone have a COMPELLING argument for driving or shipping?

N

Nobody

Just drive it.......... it's gonna depreciate the same anyway....as someone once told me , "WHO ARE YOU SAVING IT FOR ANYWAY?" I wish I could find the time to Drive mine ALOT more

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine from Hollywood Florida to Ellijay Georgia 750 miles twice a year. My car now has 20k on it DRIVE IT!!!!!!! or I will buy yours someday.:drive:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you plan on flipping it in the next week, don't worry about the depreciation because it will hit you no matter what when you plan on selling it. I am sure millions of people would love to drive an 08 Viper 1150 miles including myself.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are meant to be DRIVEN~!!! Who cares about depreciation??? ;) HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!
Congrats on the Viper Blue '08~~! PICS when you can...we await!
~juli

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say Drive it unless you are going to have to drive it home in the snow or ice. then pay to have shipped or someone trailer it to you. I picked up my last viper in a snow storm and was glad to have a trailer to bring it home in.

vpr hlr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was in the same dilemma. Drive it 1800 miles or ship it. Decided to drive the car. Then relaxed for 2 days and went on the Smokey Mountain trip, another 2000 miles round trip. No better way to get a "feel " for the car. Can not wait for VOI and next " driving trip ". I put 6500 miles in 4 months since I have owned the car. I LOVE IT.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not just the gas or depreciation you need to worry about, but the time lost on the road and the possiblility of getting into an accident or a ticket. If it was 500-600 miles I would say drive it, but for 1150, ship it.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Lost time on the road? Are you kidding me - any seat time in the Viper is PRICELESS! Worried about an accident or ticket - then dont buy a Viper or any car for that matter. I've had way too much fun putting as many miles on my Viper as I can and while a few rock chips have really pissed me off, nothing else can compare the smile I have every time I drive the Viper.

N

Nobody

It's not just the gas or depreciation you need to worry about, but the time lost on the road and the possiblility of getting into an accident or a ticket. If it was 500-600 miles I would say drive it, but for 1150, ship it.

*** ? ??? Dude lay off the Crack pipe

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One simple question: after you get it home, are you going to drive it, or simply park it in your garage and look at it? If you plan to actually drive the car, then drive it home, get some seat time, and save the shipping. The only other question I'd have would be possible weather conditions along your route this time of year; if you can avoid temperatures too cold for the tires, and/or snow/ice, go for it!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*** ? ??? Dude lay off the Crack pipe

Do you even think stuff through? It would depend on where the car is located. If it is anywhere near snow, have the car shipped. If it is in Miami and is being driving to say LA(that's Louisiana for the not so smart amoung us :smirk:), then he should be fine weather wise, but still have other hazards such as other idiot drivers on the road trying to get a closer look at the car........... :crazy2:

And I only smoke a shisha pipe...................... :D

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you buy it as an investment or for the pure joy of driving it? I drove mine home from Florida to Texas a few weeks ago and loved every minute of it. I didn't buy a garage queen, but a car that I always wanted and I intend to drive when I can.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3K already, no longer a low mileage car for a viper. DRIVE IT! :headbang:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the time to drive it... Fly out, drive it back in 2-3 days and enjoy the sights and the car.

I just bought mine, but didn't have the luxury of taking the time off work to drive from AZ to NC.... the wait was very painful, but the car got here with no damage. It cost me $1,300 in an eclosed trailor, but worth it.

It sounds like you don't plan on driving the car much and eventually selling it.... unfortunately the car will depreciate significantly in the first couple years regardless of the miles. Go ahead and enjoy it!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it and enjoy it. I consider the Viper an investment in the joy of driving not an investment in equity. Time and weather permitting, drive it and become one with the Viper.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did a 900 or so mile weekend trip in mine. I was a little worried about the miles. It was a dumb concern. Great time in the car and got great mileage, better than anything else I currently own or have owned in a long while. The only downside...I wouldn't eat in it while driving. I did have to stop once for dinner. If you've got the time and the roads are clear (no snow) drive it and enjoy it.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove mine from Tampa to Phoenix when I bought it. The memories made along the way were worth more than the feeling of security that shipping it would have given me.

DRIVE IT!!!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are talking about YOU driving it home, yes? not hiring a driver or hiring a transport :dunno:

all good issues raised here, but if you have the time and the trip is via good weather, best bonding time there is w/ a new viper

:drive:

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have clarified ... I ALREADY OWN IT ... and have PUT EVERY MILE ON IT (I bought it new).

I enjoy it, and enjoy the drive (have done it many times back & forth in my '06 conv) ... but the drive is starting in central Ohio in mid-December ... going to SE FL (where I work & live 8-9 months of year). Work in Ohio August to December.

Also must go through some mountains in colder air (the West VA Turnpike, etc) ... and sometimes unexpectedly mediocre weather this time of year, lotsa truck traffic, etc. --- Plus then have to pay to fly back (which is only another $100 but ... ) to drive other car to same location (daily driver).

Sorry did not clarify that ALREADY OWN, HAVE DRIVEN ALL MILES, KNOW ROUTE WELL, the "WHERE STARTING DRIVE FROM" and sometimes mediocre weather, and have to duplicate drive with other car "aspects" or "points". --- "I" would be doing the driving, no hired driver.

Last edited:

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine from Shreveport to Santa Barbara CA and it was the best decision I ever made. I clear bra'd it first and then took off on the best 4 day road trip of my life. Driving the Viper for 4 days was one of the most memorable experiences in my life. It felt great and I would do it again in a heart beat.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have clarified ... I ALREADY OWN IT ... and have PUT EVERY MILE ON IT (I bought it new).

I enjoy it, and enjoy the drive (have done it many times back & forth in my '06 conv) ... but the drive is starting in central Ohio in mid-December ... going to SE FL (where I work & live 8-9 months of year). Work in Ohio August to December.

Also must go through some mountains in colder air (the West VA Turnpike, etc) ... and sometimes unexpectedly mediocre weather this time of year, lotsa truck traffic, etc. --- Plus then have to pay to fly back (which is only another $100 but ... ) to drive other car to same location (daily driver).

Sorry did not clarify that ALREADY OWN, HAVE DRIVEN ALL MILES, KNOW ROUTE WELL, the "WHERE STARTING DRIVE FROM" and sometimes mediocre weather, and have to duplicate drive with other car "aspects" or "points". --- "I" would be doing the driving, no hired driver.

In that case "I" would ship it. Save the miles for more enjoyable drives while in Florida during sunny weather. JMHO

I wish I remembered who posted the ling about his story trying to drive his car home in Calif and got stuck in a snow storm in the mountains and barely made it up the ramp to a Motel etc... Sounded like a real nighmare. Maybe if they are reading this thread they will post their experience.

Go ahead, slam away. I am just giving my honest opinion. I would not want to get stuck in weather or travel a route that has lots of truck traffic. The 950 is for an enclosed trailer right?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, I also didn't know you already owned the car and have driven it already. I know what Ohio weather can be like, and you mention mountain driving as well. THAT changes things a bit! Since you'd be living (LUCKY/LUCKY!!!) in FLORIDA, yeah, I'd ship it. My own .02 (I KNOW how any of these tires would be in the snow/ice/slush/black ice--not recommended). Good Luck! :)
~juli

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on the starting location ship it, too many unknowns with the cold ground surface the first half of your trip and the weather possibilities. You'll have all winter to drive it in FL. Whatever you decide good luck and if you drive it be safe!!:drive:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The original post was all about the depreciation......when you start talking snow, you should certainly avoid it. If you have the luxury of watching the weather, and choosing your departure date, it's drivable, and can be a lot of fun. Just take it easy with cold tires. Unless it's actually raining or snowing, the interstates between Ohio and Florida dry out in a days time. If you don't have the luxury of picking a good date to depart, you are probably wise to ship it. Good luck!

Bill