Detailing Engine

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is still snowing outside so I thought I would clean-up the engine compartment.

What products do you use to make the engine compartment shine like new?

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple Green has always worked well for me. I'll keep using it until someone says otherwise! And a little elbow grease does the trick.

OP
OP
M

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you use on the hoses and black plastic items?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
soap to clean and sometimes i will spray tire detailer (stoners) into a towel and wipe them down. same goes for inner fenders, radiator cover thingy and black part of headlights.

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cover the very important electrical components such as Alternator and Fuse Boxes, using a general purpose cleaner diluted with water poured into a spray bottle and utilizing a paint brush, clean the hard to reach areas, let the product sit for a few minutes. Spray the engine thoroughly with a garden hose.

Repeat on any areas needing a more thorough cleaning, if you have an air compressor, air dry the engine compartment and finally wipe away any water residue.

After that you can utilize a product like a vinyl-and-rubber-protectant to dress the engine compartment.

Engine Bay AS Found

You must be registered for see images attach

Engine Bay Detailed

I hope that helps:)

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it hasn't been cleaned and really dirty a non petroleum degreaser and a long bristled (soft) brush
Scrub everything. If hoses etc have that brown oxidation use rubber cleaner from griots. Does amazing things with rubber, especially tires. Rinse(I use a filtration system so I don't get water spots) hand dry. I don't like greasy dressings I'm more into the satin shine ( OEM look). I use a lot of tooth brushes Qtips etc. The small nooks and crannies when cleaned,polished seem to make all the difference when looking at it. But of course I have issues! By the way the dealership hacks spray everything with undercarriage spray which makes it all shiny and a 600 HP dust magnet! But idont have issues or well formed opinions!!

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to Tito's comments I would recommend you buy a batch of white parade gloves. When worn serve as deep access cleaners - particularly in hard to get places. Rubbing alcohol on fiber cloth works well to remove stickiy substances.....Good old armor all on the hoses. If you are careful thinner will remove black residue on wires....I use small dabs and careful not to get on painted surfaces. WD-40 works well on parts that show salt residue.....

I just took my FGT to a higher standard using these methods...

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feather duster. :rolaugh:

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something I use on the engine for the really tough stubborn spots is brake cleaner and a toothbrush. You don't spray the cleaner directly on the engine, rather the tooth brush and scrub away. Of course you don't want to do this to painted parts or chrome, just to aluminum or metal parts. For chrome or painted areas with stubborn spots, I'll still use the brake cleaner but I will use it on a quality microfiber towel. It doesn't take a lot! Just a squirt will work wonders on a stubborn stain.

Before:

After:

Once I get the engine clean, I will dress it down with some Adam's In & Out Spray. This stuff looks amazing when used sparingly and leaves the engine looking new, not like something you'll see on a used car lot. This product alone is responsible for 20% of the Adam's bottom line so you know it is selling like crack!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really dislike websites where you HAVE to "register" and fill out pages of info for a simple purchase.
I just want to buy something and leave with no further communication from that vendor unless I want it.
Most websites have an option to do so, Adam should look into it.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really dislike websites where you HAVE to "register" and fill out pages of info.
I just want to buy something and leave with no further communication from that vendor unless I want it.
Most websites have an option to do so, Adam should look into it.

I felt the same way when I first went to their site too. However, once I realized that that's how they are able to track what you buy so that you can receive a full refund if you don't like the product, I was cool with it. It is how the site works behind the scenes that makes registration important.

Just ordered a can of IN&OUT looking forward to trying it.

Use it sparingly! A little bit goes a long way.

Last edited:

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a large e-commerce website and have found 30% of customers do not and will not register just so they can order a part.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use Adam's APC to clean the engine bay. For the really nasty stuff, like on my diesel truck, I agree with Junk. Brake Clean is the way to go. CRC is down the street from us and we get cases from them for FREE, so we go through a lot of it!

I don't recommend using Armor All as it is alcohol-based and will eventually dry out and brown your rubber and plastic.

Agree with Junkman, In&Out is the way to go! It is great for all those hard to reach hoses and wires. In&Out is sold in a 3 pack and I'll throw in a couple FREE block pads with each 3 pack.

I hit all the trim on this Ford GT with In&Out and it completely woke up 6 year old plastic!

My site is outdated, but you can order Adam's stuff from me through email/paypal. I can work some good deals out over email, better than on most sites. Will have the site updated soon!

[email protected]

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI WD40 is corrosive to belts and non silicone hoses. Brake cleaners too. They make a great shine because you are actually removing/dissolving a layer of the polymer.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cover the very important electrical components such as Alternator and Fuse Boxes,.....

what would y'all cover (if anything, i know some detailers don't cover anything) on a gen 2 motor :dunno:

do any of you use a pressure washer :eater:

do y'all spray wd40 on electrical connections 1st :eater:

how secure is the red paint on the valve covers :dunno:

i want make my engine compartment look as good as you guys' :omg:

tia

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Morgan (Tomball Dodge Viper Tech) reminded me, that when spraying water under the hood, a piece of tape should be put over the vent hole of the clutch fluid reservoir. This should prevent water from getting into clutch fluid, like he found in mine :omg:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI WD40 is corrosive to belts and non silicone hoses. Brake cleaners too. They make a great shine because you are actually removing/dissolving a layer of the polymer.

The only thing you want to use the brake cleaner on is metal, steel or aluminum.

what would y'all cover (if anything, i know some detailers don't cover anything) on a gen 2 motor :dunno:

do any of you use a pressure washer :eater:

do y'all spray wd40 on electrical connections 1st :eater:

how secure is the red paint on the valve covers :dunno:

i want make my engine compartment look as good as you guys' :omg:

tia

Never use high pressure water in the engine bay. You wash the engine down with car soap after treating it with the degreaser of your choice. Adam's APC is a good one as Eric pointed out.

Always cover the alternator and don't force a lot of water around anything. The less water you use to clean the motor, the better.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
never high pressure as said above. but a light mist is fine IMO and have done this probably over a hundred times on mine with only one issue a few years back on the vec2 i had in it. that one time it got messed up and never happened after that.

OP
OP
M

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUNKMAN

Do you have any recommendations on how to remove the white spots on the alternator?

I will be ordering some of the In & Out spray tonight. How long will one can last?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUNKMAN

Do you have any recommendations on how to remove the white spots on the alternator?

I will be ordering some of the In & Out spray tonight. How long will one can last?

Sorry, daveman here. Those white spots are likely an oxide of the base metal sans aluminum oxide. Naval Jelly for aluminum should work but the down side is you will likely make a shiny spot and have to do the whole thing. Alternatively, just close the hood and drive the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave