Difference between 2008 and 2009 models?

Johnbennett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have a detailed list of the differences between the 2008 and 2009 models? I am particularly interested in the coupe. I have a '99 RT/10 and am seriously interested in getting either a 2008 or 2009 coupe. Thanks.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drive-by-wire has been improved in the '09s and the '08s can be re-flashed...so, in the end, that's only a partial difference.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drive-by-wire has been improved in the '09s and the '08s can be re-flashed...so, in the end, that's only a partial difference.

Yellow32 -- Can you give specifics on the reflash for us 2008 owners? Thanks!

/Rich

viperrrr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Yellow 32
I saw your post about the reflash for the drive by wire in a 08. I have a 08 Venom Red coupe. I called my dealer today. He checked for TSB's for a drive by wire reflash (vin number specific check). There was no information on a reflash.

Can you give additional details please.

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We took the tour on Thursday and '09 production started that day according to our guide..the last 1/2 of the line were '08's, :) the first half of the line were '09's....took a picture of the last 08 and the first 09..they were parked to each other bout 1/2 way down the line with no body panels yet on either...the 09 had the new 6 spoke wheel on it and looked very nice...our guide said no diff between 08 and 09 except for some small wiring changes.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the complete answer to the question asked. The 2009 Dodge Viper rceived a modified steel frame, fuel tank, and filler tube, with four new paint colors, new optional wheels, and a revised center console bezel with recessed window switches. See data released to Allpar.com

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
doesn't the 09 have a different soft top color option and one more interior option?

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is the complete answer to the question asked. The 2009 Dodge Viper rceived a modified steel frame, fuel tank, and filler tube, with four new paint colors, new optional wheels, and a revised center console bezel with recessed window switches. See data released to Allpar.com

I wonder if msrp will be the same. Anyone know?

Bat™

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were told that the strengthening of the frame increased the weight by 36 pounds. Also a Mopar offroad controller is coming which will eliminate most of the drive by wire hesitation, and also the skip-shift. Didn't say when though, so stay tuned with Mopar.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

As for the drive-by-wire flash, I received that information from Tom Sessions, respected Viper Guru.

I will PM him and ask him and report back.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ditto to what Bob P said. Our tour guide at Connor said the same thing.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did anyone explain the need for the strengthened steel frame? Any issues/concerns with structural integrity/strength?

Also, Yellow and Tom , thanks for any follow up on the reflash for 2008s.

/Rich

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did anyone explain the need for the strengthened steel frame? Any issues/concerns with structural integrity/strength?

Also, Yellow and Tom , thanks for any follow up on the reflash for 2008s.

/Rich

I'll vouch for needed strength on the frame after twisting/bending my '08 front hooks / frame like a pretzel in a relatively low speed accident that did not even set off the air bags - car was a total loss -

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picture of new wheels on a running chassis. No built up cars with th ewheels were seen.
100_5108.jpg

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The change to the frame, gas tank and filler neck were made to meet 2009 Federal Highway crash standards.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting note on the system for the drive by wire and the ability to alleviate the skip shift also, as was told there will be no way to disconnect this system in 2009.

The frame is very strong, and has been one of the main reasons the Viper's insurance costs have been fairly reasonable over the years. It has unique breakaway capabilities that allow the driver/passenger to be safe in severe accidents. Small accidents may cause bending ,etc. but these were designed in for passenger protection. The new strengthening is for 09 standards, which are increasingly rigid, and frankly show how ahead of the time the basic frame has been --- virtually no real changes since inception.

Note: the recall on the frame for 96-2000 was for a possible issue with the steering rack under extreme usage conditions. After completing well over 200 repairs we never even saw one issue.

Respectfully Submitted,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the airbag sensor/module is still located under the driver's seat. Guess we big and tall still can't get the lowering kit.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Little update on the drive-by-wire reflash while we are checking on the exact details, here it is:

it is likely to be covered under warranty, so, no cost for the reflash

waiting to hear on when the reflash will be available...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Also to note here, one of the other changes due to the 09 regs was a change in the inner structure of the doors, specifically the side impact beams.

PS- the "new" frame may not really be stronger, it is just designed to crumple in a different manner, requiring reinforcement in key areas, as well as possible intentional weakening in other areas. I think the Viper frames have proven time and time again, strength/rigidity is something they have never lacked.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Little update on the drive-by-wire reflash while we are checking on the exact details, here it is:

it is likely to be covered under warranty, so, no cost for the reflash

waiting to hear on when the reflash will be available...

Thanks to yellow and everyone else who responded regarding the reflash.

/Rich

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also to note here, one of the other changes due to the 09 regs was a change in the inner structure of the doors, specifically the side impact beams.

PS- the "new" frame may not really be stronger, it is just designed to crumple in a different manner, requiring reinforcement in key areas, as well as possible intentional weakening in other areas. I think the Viper frames have proven time and time again, strength/rigidity is something they have never lacked.

Yeah I believe this.

I've never owned a true "sports" car like the Viper before.

When I first jacked the car up on ONE side, and the adjacent side also came off the ground I was stunned. I had never seen that before in any of the vehicles I had owned or worked on.

I had my wife and best friend come out and they were like, how did you do that?

I explained how rigid the frame is in these cars, and that they don't bend or twist and that was why the entire front end of the Viper was up in the air when only the floor jack was pushing up on the front passenger side. :crazy2:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth