Dirty back end of GTS??

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dirt you are describing is just one of the joys of Viper ownership. I suggest the following:

1. Put a few extra coats of Zaino on the rear fascia to aid in dirt removal. Helps to do this on the front to aid in bug removal.

2. Use a California Car Duster to remove the loose dust/dirt.

3. Use a detailing spray like Zaino Z-6 to clean the remaining dirt / exhaust 'spit'. This is especially for the white-stripe guys.

4. Sit back with your favorite beverage and admire your handiwork.

As for the exhaust, I hear the Belanger exhaust from BTR Performance sounds good as does the Corsa cat-back. Just replacing the rear muffler with straight pipes helps too.

Hope this helps.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! As to the back end of the GTS accumulating dust, etc., it is pretty normal. I agree with Chuck on all of his tips. What I do is keep a small California Duster tucked in by the spare. I also have the Northern California VCA rear mat so that you don't see the spare or the stuff next to it (duster, Polaroid camera, etc.). If you use Zaino or some other quick detail spray, tuck a small bottle of that in there next to a 100% cotton hand towel. Of course, this is for your general cruises and car shows. Make sure to dump all of that stuff out when you are racing, be it drag racing, road racing, or autocross. Less weight and less stuff flying around.

As to the exhaust, do a quick search on "headers" using the search function of this web site. You will find so many hits that you may not be able to go to sleep for a week if you try to read them in one sitting. I have heard of excellent results with the Belanger headers on the '96-'99 Vipers. Good sound, great power, and one of the easiest bolt ups of the bunch (some others take real work to get fitted correctly).

Good luck and glad to have you aboard. Be sure to check in with your local Viper Club as they will be able to share a lot more information and you can hear different headers for yourself. The North/Central Florida Viper Club is one of the more active clubs in the country. Be sure to hook up with them!

Chris

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, the dust on the rear is a common problem, I think due to the car's aerodynamics. I had wondered if putting side splitters on my GTS would have any effect on this dirt pulled up by the car in the rear, since they should have an effect on the air moving under the vehicle.... Nope! Anyway they look really cool! I agree with Chris, just lightly hit it with the California duster an keep it well Zaino'd. Also whenever I have to spend time on these little clean-ups, I just take a momemt to remember how high maintenance my ex-wife was and the job suddenly seems effortless
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R