Disappointing day on Khumo V700 on drag strip

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Schulmann, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Schulmann

Schulmann Enthusiast

Finally after 3 weeks of waiting UPS delivered my lost Khumos V700 this week.
    I was hoping to run below 11s on the drag strip yesterday night.
    Unfortunately my best time was 11.8/129/1.879. It was my 6th and last run.
    Likely the Khumos got to the right temperature.
    Okay it was a cold night (60F) but I am disappointed.

Will the Khumos get better with the time (like wine) ?

How much better is the BFGoodrich g-Force Drag Radial ?

My wheels are 18x13 so I need something that fits on.

2. GTSnake

GTSnake Viper Owner

My BFG's stick like flies on sh!t. I launch at 2,000rpm at street pressure 29psi and don't get any slip. When I drop the pressure I can launch at even higher rpms. Never tried Kumhos but I love the BFG's.

3. JUCD VPR

JUCD VPR Enthusiast

I second that, i LOVE the BFG's and i thought about going with the Kumho's but went with the BFG's and i'm happy as long as its not raining!

4. 2001 GTS

2001 GTS Viper Owner

The first time at the track with the Kumhos...best I could do was a 1.9. They definately need to break in a little bit...but they also need good conditions to work well. The BFGs on the other hand have exellent traction all the time (minus rain of course). I won't go back to Kumhos...BFG FTW!

Best 60ft w/ Kumhos: 1.72
    Best 60ft w/ BFGs: 1.52

5. Joseph Dell

Joseph Dell Enthusiast

With BFG's the hotter they get, the stickier they are. I used to run 16-18psi and I'd do a pretty long burnout. I'd have consistent 1.6x (and even some 1.5x) 60ft times. Sure, my car isn't stock I like the BFG's quite a bit.

JD

6. AG98RT10

AG98RT10 Viper Owner

My Kuhmo's don't hook up at all well below about 65 degrees. I took my nephew out last Thanksgiving and temp was around 60, and I had axle hop so bad on the first-to-second shift I thought I was going to break something...
    Above 70, and fully warmed up, they are great - on a sticky VIR road course in July, they are a little greasy even - pick up big rocks and little gravels like the Hoosiers.
    They're not a bad compromise all-around tire, and have been great for me, but I definitely take it easy on cooler days.

7. Early93Viper

Early93Viper Enthusiast

Kumhos work great on a roadcourse but I don't see much difference in a straight line.

8. VENOMAHOLIC

VENOMAHOLIC Viper Owner

BFG's are more designed for drag strip performance. The sidewalls will wrinkle a little better than V700's. The V700's have stiffer sidewall for better cornering which is less desireable for strip use.

9. Jack B

Jack B Enthusiast

Schulman:

I have run the 700 series (two sets) and I am now on my second set of 710's. They don't stick (drag strip) any better than the PS2's that I now have on the car. On the other hand, there is nothing better at autocross. I know a lot of car run them on road course, but, they seem to slip more as they get hotter.

Wrinkle ? you can run them with no air they are so stiff, that might be a little exaggeration.

10. Schulmann

Schulmann Enthusiast

Jack B,

What pressure do you run in the V700 on drag strip ?

11. 99 R/T 10

99 R/T 10 Enthusiast

I can pull an easy 1.6 with the Kumhos. I actually broke a halfshaft U-joint on them. I love them! :2tu:

12. Jack B

Jack B Enthusiast

Schulman:

I run 20-22 psi. The problem is, the side walls are so rigid, it doesn't help a lot. As far as getting a 1.6, 60 on Kumhos, that is easy on a prepped track. Some people have done ten second quarters on pilots, but, again that is on a prepped track. On most of the tracks we race on if there isn't a major event, the prep usually sucks. It is a shame that there has to be a bunch of 7-8 second cars before they prep the track.

13. 2001 GTS

2001 GTS Viper Owner

Haha...I broke a U-joint on the Kumhos too...bit after it was replaced...haven't had a problem since on the BFGs

14. ViperBing

ViperBing Enthusiast

I too have pulled 1.6's on Kumhos. What was your launch technique?