Disappointing day on Khumo V700 on drag strip

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally after 3 weeks of waiting UPS delivered my lost Khumos V700 this week.
I was hoping to run below 11s on the drag strip yesterday night.
Unfortunately my best time was 11.8/129/1.879. It was my 6th and last run.
Likely the Khumos got to the right temperature.
Okay it was a cold night (60F) but I am disappointed.

Will the Khumos get better with the time (like wine) ?

How much better is the BFGoodrich g-Force Drag Radial ?

My wheels are 18x13 so I need something that fits on.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My BFG's stick like flies on ****. I launch at 2,000rpm at street pressure 29psi and don't get any slip. When I drop the pressure I can launch at even higher rpms. Never tried Kumhos but I love the BFG's.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first time at the track with the Kumhos...best I could do was a 1.9. They definately need to break in a little bit...but they also need good conditions to work well. The BFGs on the other hand have exellent traction all the time (minus rain of course). I won't go back to Kumhos...BFG FTW!

Best 60ft w/ Kumhos: 1.72
Best 60ft w/ BFGs: 1.52

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With BFG's the hotter they get, the stickier they are. I used to run 16-18psi and I'd do a pretty long burnout. I'd have consistent 1.6x (and even some 1.5x) 60ft times. Sure, my car isn't stock I like the BFG's quite a bit.

JD

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Kuhmo's don't hook up at all well below about 65 degrees. I took my nephew out last Thanksgiving and temp was around 60, and I had axle hop so bad on the first-to-second shift I thought I was going to break something...
Above 70, and fully warmed up, they are great - on a sticky VIR road course in July, they are a little greasy even - pick up big rocks and little gravels like the Hoosiers.
They're not a bad compromise all-around tire, and have been great for me, but I definitely take it easy on cooler days.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kumhos work great on a roadcourse but I don't see much difference in a straight line.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BFG's are more designed for drag strip performance. The sidewalls will wrinkle a little better than V700's. The V700's have stiffer sidewall for better cornering which is less desireable for strip use.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schulman:

I have run the 700 series (two sets) and I am now on my second set of 710's. They don't stick (drag strip) any better than the PS2's that I now have on the car. On the other hand, there is nothing better at autocross. I know a lot of car run them on road course, but, they seem to slip more as they get hotter.

Wrinkle ? you can run them with no air they are so stiff, that might be a little exaggeration.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schulman:

I run 20-22 psi. The problem is, the side walls are so rigid, it doesn't help a lot. As far as getting a 1.6, 60 on Kumhos, that is easy on a prepped track. Some people have done ten second quarters on pilots, but, again that is on a prepped track. On most of the tracks we race on if there isn't a major event, the prep usually *****. It is a shame that there has to be a bunch of 7-8 second cars before they prep the track.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can pull an easy 1.6 with the Kumhos. I actually broke a halfshaft U-joint on them. I love them! :2tu:

Haha...I broke a U-joint on the Kumhos too...bit after it was replaced...haven't had a problem since on the BFGs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave