Diy low profile ramps

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost jumped into the group buy for the race ramps, then saw the "used/display" discount and almost went that route as well. I returned home from Afghanistan last Thursday, a week ago and started working on the Viper. I already had a pair of Rhino Ramps I picked up for $30 at my local auto parts store a few years back. I went to the hardware store and picked up four 3/8 x 4" carriage bolts and two 2x10x8 boards. I drilled through the boards and ramps to extend and reduce the angle.

You must be registered for see images

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would add a wedge inbetween where the wood meets the ramp for more support. It would **** if it broke while going up or down.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only problem I see with your set up is that you can't really jack up the car. However, I am sure that works well for oil changes, etc.

OP
OP
L

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I can jack up the car. I used this setup to install brake ducts, my vacuum canister into the fender well, the splitter, and adjust my toe angle. I enjoy working on my cars, the Viper isn't going to be any different. I'm cheap, this gets the job done.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do access the frame from the side in order to jack it up? I did something similar years ago but had the same issue....board is in the way for floor jack use. Maybe you can get a bottle jack on the inside of the boards or something. How do you do it?

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to be inventive! Taking a cue from the Race Ramps design, have you thought about replacing the bolts with pins you can simply remove after the car is up on the stand so you can remove the ramp section?

OP
OP
L

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The carriage bolts are just placed in the holes to keep the rear tires from torquing them down the driveway. If the rear tires weren't on them, then they'd lift out. There ao no nuts on the other end.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you just need to make 'em a little shorter so they can be removed to allow access to the side rails for jacking.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62