Do I need new tires this year?

apeas2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 08 Vert with 3300 miles on it. Do I need new tires this year? If I add correctly, the tires are now 6 years old. Thanks.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michellin recommends the tires are changed every 5-7 years. Have you felt an degradation in performance? Are the sidewalls in good shape? Is the car stored indoors in a climate controlled location? If you answered yes to all these questions, I would say you will be fine for one more year.

One last factor would be if you planned on tracking the car this year (road coarse) I would want new rubber on there. If you plan to just do some cruising, you should be fine.

If you need someone to drive your car to run the rubber down, let me know and I will make myself available.

OP
OP
A

apeas2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, thanks for the offer. I don't have a roll bar so I can't track it unless you know of another place in our area. Other then that, the car has always been stored indoors, so I guess I'm good for another year.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3300 miles....

coming up on that 1st oil change. LOL ;)

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't have to add the number of years the car has been in existence. Just look at the DOT date code (the week and year the tire was manufactured) on the sidewall of each tire. It will be a four digit number (i.e. 2008). The first two numbers represents the week (20th week of the year/52 weeks in a year) and the last two is the year (2008). Eight years is the absolute max if there are no other issues such as dry cracks, etc. and normal street driving.

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those tires are fine as long as no dry rotting going on.period.as long as your not drivein aggressive for extreme grip

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires are fine - my '04 has the originals still on them with 18K and it was at the track a few months ago. You'll hear several folks claiming they need to be changed right now but they might 1) have a fairly strong opinion on which type o' toothpaste is the best, as well and 2) their last name might even be Goodyear...:smirk:

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those tires are fine as long as no dry rotting going on.period.as long as your not drivein aggressive for extreme grip

I would say fine is a relative term in a high hp RWD car, spend some money and keep some good fresh rubber on the car.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tires are somewhat like medication. They are probably ok to use shortly after the expiration date but as time goes on, they start to lose their effectiveness........ Rubber compounds tend to harden over time.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Silver 04,

I am not going to go into the "Runflat" scare , as I personally think it was overblown, but regardless, a 10 year old performance tire with 18k is not one I would ever recommend to a friend who tracks his car. Not trying to be rude, but having tested tires in the past, and tracked cars for 33 years, I would sure suggest it is time to get a fresh set. Michelins are likely your best bet, and though I know some folks who don't like Nittos, they are a less expensive alternative. There are even some DOT track Toyos, that are not bad for the street , so options are out there, but definitely you are the one I would suggest should be viewing some new donuts, and the gentleman with the 08 is fine. Just my humble opinion and as noted by others, age is an issue with any tire, regardless of manufacturer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R