Does the 8,3l have 4 bolt main caps?

OP
OP
J

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks much! I hate to ask simple questions like this but I looked on line for the last hour and within 2min of this post....the answer!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Figured Mark would know this one.

They have 4 bolt main bearing caps. Below is a quote from the 2004 service manual:

"Six iron main bearing caps use four bolts per cap;
two vertical and two horizontal."

Dan

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,
Thanks again for helping me out with the parts for my 97 RT 10. It was much appreciated.

Since your answering questions, perhaps one more? Do you consider the Viper engine to be a big block in the 1960s muscle car sense of the word? Or a small block in the 500 cubic inch small block Chevy modern sense of the word. I always thought the Viper was the only big block sports car since the 60s Shelby Cobra's but others on this board think the Viper is a 10 cylinder small block? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not Mark, but while they have long blocks, they have small block bore spacing which was typically how the muscle car engines were differentiated.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Viper engines are technically a 4-bolt main; two vertical two horizontal.

The Viper engine is also technically a small block- it is just 2 cylinders longer. This brings it up to big-block cubes, but thats it. However, since the big/small block debate never involved V-10's, I dont feel it can really be called either.

OP
OP
J

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper engines are technically a 4-bolt main; two vertical two horizontal.

The Viper engine is also technically a small block- it is just 2 cylinders longer. This brings it up to big-block cubes, but thats it. However, since the big/small block debate never involved V-10's, I dont feel it can really be called either.

So then out of curiosity why is everyone so hyped on the billet caps with 1k hp. I have never seen a 4 bolt main fail and I have seen a ton of old high hp engines

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what i have read MOST guys that reach that 900rwhp range or so is seeing the caps walk. can it be done without the billet main caps.....sure, but at some point you will have a problem.

OP
OP
J

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
from what i have read MOST guys that reach that 900rwhp range or so is seeing the caps walk. can it be done without the billet main caps.....sure, but at some point you will have a problem.

We ARE using better caps just to be sure. I was originally going to do billet and I still might but I can get the mopar caps for quit a bit cheaper and that is what heffner is using on motors with way more power. I just think billet might be overkill for 900hp

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So then out of curiosity why is everyone so hyped on the billet caps with 1k hp. I have never seen a 4 bolt main fail and I have seen a ton of old high hp engines

Its not the horsepower, its the torque these engines make. there is a lot to be said about a crank as long as the Viper's twisted by over 1000 lb/ft. Vs. a shorter V8 crank twisted by 800 or less lb/ft to make that same 1000 horsepower. As stated by Plum, the caps/cranks walk around once you get over 1000, and the stock caps are nothing more then nodular cast iron... nothing to write home about, nor are the OEM bolts- both can allow deflection and walking. Billet caps and studs are strong enough to keep the crank where it is supposed to be.

As stated above, yes, 900HP is not over the limit of OEM caps, especially if they are studed and honed. However, at those levels, it just makes sense if the engine is torn down that far to get it over with.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Agree with Daniel.

Don't mess with the nodular iron caps in a big build, the crank is too long and heavy. Go billet and use the best studs.

Dan