Does warranty work have to be done by a dealer?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say yes especially if it is a DC warranty. I had a warranty claim on my 94 and the contract clearly states to contact DC before taking the car to a dealer, which I did. The closest Dodge dealer was 15 miles away from where my car was BUT they did not have an "authorized Viper tech" therefore would not cover it. If I wanted the work done under warranty I would need to have the car flatbedded 85 miles to a dealer in Duluth, Mn. because they had a Viper tech! I had the closer dealer do the work, I paid the bill out of my pocket and cashed in the remaining months on my contract, I then proceded to tell the person I was dealing with at DC to take the contract and shove it up their ass. And why you say.....because they would not even cover the cost of the towing to the dealer in Duluth! Never again will I buy a DC warranty.
Sorry about that, rant over
So, if it is a DC warranty then yes, you need to take it to an authorized dealer.

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second that,

DC customer services and goodwill "BITES"

6 days out of warranty on an 04 with 10k miles, the braker power booster went out, (it actually went out a few weeks before, just got busy) did they replace? "NO" Fruck No, the Fresno Dodge service manager was a total Dip ****tte.

having purchased nearly 500k in new dodge vehicles over the last 20yrs, i expected to be treated alittle better.

its no wonder theve got problems.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the most part, yes, you have to take it to a dealer...That having been said I think there are a few places that have been authorised by DC for warr. repairs that arent dealers...I think Dan Cragins place in Santa Monica is one....no???

Cheers,

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call chuck tator and im sure he will talk to ya about it and guide you in the right direction.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The warranty process is a two way street, right? The manufacturer determines how many hours (i.e. dollars) a warranty job is supposed to take, and that's how much the manufacturer "pays" the dealer to do the work. Conversely the dealer is accountable to the manufacturer to perform the work properly and within the specified time. No such accountability exists between a non-dealer and the manufacturer, I can't imagine a dealer writing a check to a shop for warranty work. If you pay for it, it's not really warranty work.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, not all Dodge dealers are the same and I agree, after loyally buying Dodges, your dealer should have been tarred and feathered for treating you that way. I've had great experiences here on the East Coast with dealers that specialize with Vipers, such as Tators, Buhler and Springfield. I just had a little over $1k in warranty work done on my Viper for the $100.00 deductible cost at Buhler and to top it off, they give VCA members a 10% discount on any work done (for me it was a spare Sneaky Pete key with programming).

When I first bought my Viper I went to the Dodge dealer where I lived (in Linden, NJ) and after enquiring about an extended warranty they told me that I'd have to pay for a $225 inspection to qualify for the warranty and their "shop" had potholes so deep I could have never driven my Viper into their shop....again, all dealers are different.

Maybe some other dealers a little further away understand this and would provide safe and secure transportation at no cost.

Regards,
Aaron

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not just the dealer,

I also called the DC goodwill center back east, they refused to help in anyway, (with massive auto industry losses, "they are forced to cutback")

not much goodwill at the goodwill center!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger