1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door stanchion bowed out

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by JST2CRZY, Nov 27, 2013.

1. JST2CRZY

JST2CRZY Enthusiast

I just adjusted the drivers door on my 96 gts due to sagging. Everything lines up fine and it opens and closes normally. However, I noticed that the top of the stanchion seems to be bowing out
    abnormally on the drivers side and just a little on pass side. Is it supposed to be flush? Is this in any way normal? Any adjustment for it? Never noticed it before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  2. VIPER PIT

VIPER PIT Viper Owner

How does the top of the door meet with the top of the rear fender? Is it smooth transition panel to panel.

3. JST2CRZY

JST2CRZY Enthusiast

Yes the top of the rear fender and door are in alignment.

4. luc

luc Enthusiast

no normal, should be flush

5. DrTaco

DrTaco Viper Owner

Should be an easy fix once you loosen up the stanchion and replace/reposition it. Look up my thread on the HOW TO if you havent done it before. Strange that happened? Maybe messing with the door just flex it some?

6. Ron

Ron Enthusiast

Be careful if you tend to lift the door as you close it. Something I was doing until I got around to re-aligning it so the weather strip wouldn't rub. Worked great until I lifted to enough to have the stanchion hit the roof and crack. Repairable but not smart on my part.

7. JST2CRZY

JST2CRZY Enthusiast

Thanks for the response guys. Drtaco, I have a question. I found that thread - great write up! Still confused on one issue. Is there a front to back adjustment? needs to be moved forward slightly about 3/16" to increase the gap between the stanchion and body. I know it's limited to the placement of the glass, weather
    stripping etc. The door is in perfect alignment otherwise so I do not want to mess with that. Here is the link if anyone else is interested: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/660612-How-To-Door-Stanchion-Removal-(pictures)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  8. JST2CRZY

JST2CRZY Enthusiast

Update: took the first step and tried to remove the inner stanchion cover. The bottom screw just spins and feels like the nutsert (or whatever it threads into) is dislodged. Do I have to waste the cover in order to get it
    out? If that is the case, is the outer cover shot as well?

9. Bugman Jeff

Bugman Jeff Enthusiast

10. DrTaco

DrTaco Viper Owner

Bill, sorry for the delay. Just saw your PM and hit you back. Feel free to call, PM or find me on the VOA forums