Door stanchion bowed out

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just adjusted the drivers door on my 96 gts due to sagging. Everything lines up fine and it opens and closes normally. However, I noticed that the top of the stanchion seems to be bowing out
abnormally on the drivers side and just a little on pass side. Is it supposed to be flush? Is this in any way normal? Any adjustment for it? Never noticed it before.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How does the top of the door meet with the top of the rear fender? Is it smooth transition panel to panel.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Should be an easy fix once you loosen up the stanchion and replace/reposition it. Look up my thread on the HOW TO if you havent done it before. Strange that happened? Maybe messing with the door just flex it some?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful if you tend to lift the door as you close it. Something I was doing until I got around to re-aligning it so the weather strip wouldn't rub. Worked great until I lifted to enough to have the stanchion hit the roof and crack. Repairable but not smart on my part.

OP
OP
J

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. Drtaco, I have a question. I found that thread - great write up! Still confused on one issue. Is there a front to back adjustment? needs to be moved forward slightly about 3/16" to increase the gap between the stanchion and body. I know it's limited to the placement of the glass, weather
stripping etc. The door is in perfect alignment otherwise so I do not want to mess with that. Here is the link if anyone else is interested: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/660612-How-To-Door-Stanchion-Removal-(pictures)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: took the first step and tried to remove the inner stanchion cover. The bottom screw just spins and feels like the nutsert (or whatever it threads into) is dislodged. Do I have to waste the cover in order to get it
out? If that is the case, is the outer cover shot as well?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave