Doug Levin Motorsports 1300 HP S/C Viper !!!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right - he's done it again. With the "fast" pulley, it pegs the 30PSI boost gauge and lights up 345-width Pilot Sports through 160 MPH. You can hear the blower whine for blocks, and when it finally pulls up, people crowd around to gawk 4-deep. Insane power, insane looks, insane sounds -- you could expect nothing less from DLM.

That said, I'm finally ready to admit it: there IS such a thing as too much horsepower for a streetable Viper. In my case, that threshold occurs at 1100 RWHP -- about what you get when you take a built, cammed 8 liter V10 and push over 26 PSI of intercooled boost into it. At that power level, even on the widest street tires available, the horsepower ceases to be fun, and instead becomes a white-knuckle exercise in restraint. Lighting up both rear tires at 150 mph in 4th gear may sound entertaining, but it's a good way to end up dead, and that's not on my personal agenda any time soon. Also, the combo of the procharger and cog drive is loud. Exciting? Hell yes. Bragging rights? You bet! Something I'd want to drive on a daily basis? Well, no...

When we tried throttling the boost down to more modest levels, it became apparent that my previous setup was a better choice. So, although it pains me to say it, I told Doug to bring The Beast back to a mere 850 RWHP and a quieter blower. At that power level I feel in control (more or less), the RT's streetable, and I can occasionally hear the stereo. It's less impressive on paper, but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable in person. It's still a blast to drive, to accelerate, and to show off. It's still faster than anything I run into on the street. And it'll still run 145 in the 1/4 without spray

For the record, here's a pic of the beast in pure form -- procharger, cog drive, >30lbs of boost in 90F temps, and around 1300 BHP. I didn't really enjoy it, but I will miss it.

You must be registered for see images

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben-
Great stuff! I knew everyone had their threshold for streetable power.....even you!

So, when can we see the Dyno chart for your 1300hp beast???!!!!
-Wayne

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Holy Cr**! That is truly amazing? I do have one question though.

I often hear people talk about high HP cars and in the same sentence mention street tires. Have you thought about trying some R-compound tires? I know they would have a hard time keeping up with 1100rwhp but it would be night and day from the Pilot Sports. I had 650rwhp on my last car and I ran R-compounds exclusively. The main reason I did is was for the safety. I have broken traction at over 110 with regular tires and I felt like death was knocking at my door. I cannot even imagine it at 150! I would literally have to pull over and take a breather.

Thank you for sharing your HP experience. It is great to hear opinions from people who have tried different set-ups. You made some great points and it will help me in determining what power level is right for my Viper. Thanks,

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't do it Ben!

At least not before you try traction control. There was a post here a while back on a Racelogic group buy. With the Racelogic system, and your car's ABS sensors, you'll be able to dial in whatever level of "slip" you would like. Anything from no spinning of the rear tires, to smoke 'em into oblivion. It's all cockpit adjustable. Traction control could allow you to keep the insane motor yet still have a driveable car (it may even be easier to drive than the 850 RWHP without traction control).

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you need to at least go to the track once. thats more hp than the H_M_S turbo car isnt it?

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug can you please tell me what kind of gas do you need to run with 30PSI of boost. I might have missed it but is it also intercooled. Are the heads stock ported heads or aftrmarket heads

Thanks

CoryMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug can you please tell me what kind of gas do you need to run with 30PSI of boost. I might have missed it but is it also intercooled. Are the heads stock ported heads or aftrmarket heads

Thanks

With that much boost I can garauntee it's intercooled. 30psi is ALOT of air (HOT air without an intercooler), without an intercooler there would be crazy detonation. Unless he's running alcohol/water injection.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe this picture will answer the intercooling question :)

You must be registered for see images

However, we were also running 100 octane unleaded for the 30 PSI runs. The procharger was big enough that it wasn't particularly hot; it's just a lot of cyl pressure...

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good grief! :eek:

That must have been an experience you'll never forget!!!

One day someone will find a way to make cars safer and the bar will lift again. AWD setups will come to the aftermarket.... but cost serious money to adapt now.

I have enormous respect for what you posted Ben - lesser men would have followed their heart instead of their head and we'd be reading their obitiary in no time at all. Life's too precious to throw it away and it takes a man to admit there are limits.

I know that in the Pro-Mod car I was involved with - I was with that car from 800hp ex streeter to almost 3000hp in all its stages of development. By 1350hp there was no way you'd get me in that thing on a public road... it was undriveable at even half throttle. With 17" wide Funny Car slicks it just went sideways at every half throttle prod following the camber of the road... (rain has to run off so public roads cannot be flat - they just look flat until you make that kind of power).

The comment about the soft compound tires is valid to a point - they do make a huge difference - but you'll be replacing them at a great rate.... and it'll still be a totally loose unit. Traction control? don't know - I wouldn't be the guinea pig on that one - be interesting to learn from others experience at mega power levels.

AWD? Too hard - you'd have to cut the car up. It'd make a great project car though - a space frame with AWD setup (competition Skyline or similar that have run over 1300hp), then drop a carbon fibre Viper body over it.... that'd be a project!

DLM - wow. Looks like someone's gonna build a DLM 1300hp drag car now the cats out of the bag.... grin. It's a Pro Street setup not a daily - but someone who wants to run 8's (or 7's in a Pro Stock car) with a V10 has a new choice! That'll give the Procharger Mustangs something to think about! Wonder how far that block can be pushed!

Anyway - Nothing wrong with 1000hp at the engine Ben! Not many people could feel "safe" at that! You're still at the top of the tree.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben
Let Doug bring it to the track w/ slicks just one time. Be the first S/C to run in the 9 sec. range.
Why did you bring it up so high just to de-tune to the 850?
Had to be a good to great feeling
Rohn

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: You couldnt get that monster down the 1/4 under 10sec I bet...It probably wont hook up at all......I can understand how disappointing it is to have that much power and not be able to feel its true ability. Takes the fun out of it....I would have loved to see what it could have done in the 1/4 if it could safely be done...Too bad you dont just buy a GTS as a daily driver and keep the demon at 1300hp :D ......

BTW your torque figures have to be insane in keeping with other boosted Vipers...Probably close to 1500 tq if not more...

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on some great numbers!!!

Isn't your boost adjustable???? :confused: Couldn't you turn down the boost and run 10-12 psi on pump gas on the street and then add race gas and turn up the boost for the track??

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I wouldnt have done it, bring it back to a measly 850rwhp lmao :eek: Much respect and props for your wise decision :)

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the most incredible system I have ever seen :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Good idea to keep the power at a level to stay alive :) . Doug just builds them outragous.

Max

S

SUN RA KAT

BTW - Ben's Viper is YELLOW!

Once again, YELLOW Vipers are faster!!!

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see this generated a certain amount of traffic :) To answer some of the many questions:

* videos are coming; I need to get a tape from a 3rd party and digitize it, and then it'll go straight to the 'net.

* I did consider traction control & other alternatives. The issue was partially power delivery - the Procharger didn't have as much massive midrange as I'd hoped, but instead delivered violent top end. Boost control isn't very practical on a SC application because the blower's always spinning at a fixed ratio to engine RPM. For my current application, the NOVI is just a more streetable blower.

* 9's without N2O would have been really nice, but Moroso isn't the right track. Prep is nonexistent, and it's impossible to get a good launch. Even with the lower-power setup the car would spin slicks there. I've got a good track near home (Sacramento) and I'll be trying for 9's there. 850-880 RWHP should be enough :laugh:

* Finally, I've not given up on the quest for Ultimate Power. Doug and I are already plotting some good alternatives for making a streetable package which can still break records on the dyno and at the traps. Those'll be months in the formulation, however, and I want to drive my 1000 BHP RT while the weather's nice!

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug can you please answer me if the block and heads are the same. Of course the heads are modified but I wante to know if it was stock ported heads you use or is it aftermarket from Mopar or another source. As for the crank i thought the viper already had a steel forged crank in it.

Can you please give us more details. I had a highly modified Grand National and I know what usually has to be done to get a Turbo Motor into the 1000Hp range which is a real feat for a 231cubic inch tiny V6. I switched to the big block of the Viper for the lasting power and for the ability to make easy power that only a big block can make. Please give us more details on my questions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235