Down shifting question .....and other stuff

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All:

It's been a while since I've been on here and I see there are quite a few changes, new faces etc. - Last time I posted was about the 3" Corsa system with HF cats I had just gotten from Jon B, and I'm still happy as ever with this particular set up. I mean I drive the car every day and I've had a chance to hear other exhaust systems, ...this one is just right for me not too loud, not too quiet.

Corsa definitely sounds most rad when I let off the go pedal all together. That all too familiar popping and burbling is like music to the ears. Anyway, the other day I was haulin' asp east bound on Palmetto Park Rd, over the intra coastal bridge quickly approaching A1A. The light at the T-Section was red and I let off the accelerator, down shifted once into third and started gliding towards the light. I was down to about 20 miles per hour when I decided to dump it into first. Wow, what a freakin' sound! I mean it was poppin' and boomin' like I'd never heard before. A bunch of girls were lookin' and smilin' but you know you're dialed in when the guys start pointing and drooling too. (not that I had any particular affection for them) You can lip read em through the sonic boom going off behind the cockpit. They're saying "VIPER."
smile.gif

So my question is, how acceptable is it downshifting into first like this? I mean, am I just settin' myself up for tranny problems here down the road? Like the torque will take the car in second gear from a stand still without stalling.......maybe it's like a similar philosophy that the car can tolerate a first gear down shift at a certain rpm or speed, but not greater. Just speculating here. Your help appreciated, thank you.

Other stuff....got my new Florida tag on order. (viper related) State secret, but when I get it, I'll get a new avatar with it and a pic of my new tips.

Other observations....recently bought Mopar part "lacquer touch up paint." (sapphire blue) Good deal at $7. Nail polish type applicator works like a charm. - I also priced some "stickers." Ya know the clear ones that go LOW LOW on two spots on front facia. - Anti "chip" do dads. Dodge/mopar wanted $50 plus tax for that pair!! Made my own. better deal. - Lastly for you daily drivers who don't know (silly me, I just found out) Man those air filters get dirty in a hurry. Took out the K&Ns just to see how they looked. Gonna blow those out more often now. All else is good. Happy trails.....and what's with that new Viper site and all these defections? What/Who started all this? I'm outa the loop here. Thanks.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vvvviper:
So my question is, how acceptable is it downshifting into first like this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT size="6">YES!</FONT s>

S

SUN RA KAT

vvvviper -

You've really given an accurate description of how great the Corsa sounds.

As "quiet" as the Corsa is at regular cruising, the 2nd loudest sound I've ever heard was my exhaust system - Belanger Headers, Random Tech Ultra High flow Cats for 525+ HP, and the Corsa 3" Cat Back with 4" Tips - when I took my Viper to Colletti Motorsports last Friday for a baseline dyno run before I have my Sean Roe Supercharger installed. (436.1 HP, 480.6 Torque)

The loudest sound? A 5000 HP alcohol funny car at twice the distance (20 feet vs. 10 feet) as I was from my Viper on the dyno.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62