Driving Home in my 2001 Red GTS I just picked up!!! ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

2001 RED GTS with 20k miles.

Still learning about it as I drive ... but having a blast so far. I am sure I will have a TON of questions.

I was told it was stock minus the tinted light covers, wheels, and drilled/slotted rotors.

Started going through the receipts and have now seen it is FAR from stock.

Mods:

*Gears (not sure what yet, at 60 in 6th its spinning about 1450rpm)
*172 thermostat
*a $400 computer mod ( is that a tune or a handheld tuner? what one do you recommend, it didnt come with it... but I have a "Creader" code reader MANUAL)
*HRE 3-peice wheels
*Eibach springs ( is there just one set? how much does it lower the car?)
*Induction tubes and K&N filters
*Corsa 3" exhaust with high flow cats
*Drilled/Slotted Rotors
*I THINK it has a skip shift eliminator, I have driven it 1000 miles and it has NOT forced me into any gear

Then a bunch of visual mods I will list later.

I scrape on 1/2" lips on the road, do you recommend I get a bumper guard? (who sells a good VIPER RED touch up paint?)

What wheel locks do you recommend I get for these wheels? (what are the lug specs?)

Can I get a locking gas cap at an auto store like ADVANCE or OREILY?

Are owners manuals easy to find?

I cant get the power steering cap off ... was it tightened by a wrench to prevent it from coming off? Are they easy to break if I use a wrench to get it off?

I will do more searching when I get home, I still have 1000 more miles on my trip!!!

Thanks for your help , nice to meet you all :) ---

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great! Congrats! Is that an MGW cap or a stocker with a painted Sneaky Pete logo?

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I am not sure ... it latches shut ... I will do some research ... THANKS :) !!! ---

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I get a locking gas cap at an auto store like ADVANCE or OREILY?

I cant get the power steering cap off ... was it tightened by a wrench to prevent it from coming off? Are they easy to break if I use a wrench to get it off?

Happy Father's Day ! I'm sure that you are very proud of your new baby ! It sounds like it has most of the custome stuff that a lot of people do. The Corsa is a great upgrade, IMHO. As we always say, check the age of the tires; but, I'm betting that they are not too old, given the custom wheel upgrade.

A locking gas cap is easily found at Autozone/O'Reilley's CTS 5791

The power steering cap coming loose is a problem due to the heat and vibration. It is recommended to crank it down with some channel lock pliers. With the upgrades and the power steering cap so tight; you probably have a car that was owned by someone who did their research, or had it maintained by someone who was knowledgeable.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, thanks for the gas cap number!!!

The tires are brand new NITTOS , and luckily they havent rubbed a single time ... believe me I have hit some CRAZY bumps so far on my 1000 mile drive!!!

It does seem like the last owner knew his stuff :) ---

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is definately intimidating, but I have driven fast cars my entire life ... I just need to get used to it.

After this 2000 mile drive I should be pretty comfortable ;) ---

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is definately intimidating, but I have driven fast cars my entire life ... I just need to get used to it.

After this 2000 mile drive I should be pretty comfortable ;) ---

AC390, PLEASE rethink the 'I have driven fast cars my entire life' ... if it wasn't a Viper, then you're in a new world that you should tread lightly in! No, the Viper isn't the fastest car there is or the most manuveable, but I can pretty much promise you that it WILL bite you faster than you can react if you haven't experienced it a number of times in a SAFE environment.

As you can see, I have an '01 GTS also and just love the car, but the 'edge' that you can stay right on in any other car or even a sport bike is almost non-existent in the '01. You will be sliding through a corner one second and a milli-second later, you're ass over elbows going in circles! Get enrolled in a Driver Training course as soon as you can and learn your limits without killing your car, yourself or someone else.

Congrats on a nice car with some very nice upgrades. Avoid being too 'comfortable' just because you can drive it fast on the interstate ... the Viper is a beast and if you don't respect it, it will eat you alive!

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up , and for the polite comments ... I appreciate it everyone!!! :) ---

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on your "New to you" new ride. I like your custom wheels.

On a side note: Be sure to become a member and participate with your local VCA club as often as possible. It will open up new doors for you pursuant a wealth of information about your particular Snake, and offer you opportunity to meet and socialize with some awesome people.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will definately check out my local VCA , looking forward to learning and meeting some new friends :) ---

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the car! Good list of mods for sure!

Feel free to ask away. Thats why we are all here!

Also be sure to reach out to RX Viper. He will have some info for you for sure!

Welcome to the Viper Nation! You will love it here!

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to live in Chesterfield!!! HAHAH

I am so glad to hear the mod list is solid. I would like to know what gear set I have installed. I may try to call the old owner.

The car is out of Florida.

PM sent to RX Viper :) ---

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks ... just posted DYNO vid and results pic in the DYNO area of the forum.

425hp/460tq @ the WHEELS ... about 500hp/540tq @ the ENGINE :) ---