Reaction score
It seems like a pretty even-handed review:
smile.gif

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/76083/article.html

-Dean.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The article seems fine except for the part where Mr. Osamu Shikado states the Gen I and II's look cartoonish. I dont know if that is really such a bright thing to say. When was the last time anyone has heard that from anyone gawking at their car?After all arent his prior credits of actual production vehicles largely in designing mainstream Toyotas? Don't get me wrong, I actually think the styling of the new model is ok (not as outrageous as previous but very pleasing). I am certain the car is a dream to drive, but there will always be something special about the looks of the originals. Americans love outrageous cars and always have. What is more outragous than a Superbird or Daytona? How about the cartoon emblems on the Demons, RoadRunners and Dusters? Maybe they should hve deleted the angry face on the air grabber as well? My guess is he might have thought those cars were tacky at the time. Just my 2 cents.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes very cartoonish.That's why DC had to re-do the fender flares,The fender rise,and the tail kick up on his magnificent s2000 design. Bruce

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The article was just repeating comments from another interview by Mr. Shikado where he was talking about "flaws" that he saw in the current Viper design, which included the "cartoonish" and "broken in two look" comments.

It is the curvaceous, wild, brushstroke lines of the current Viper that appeal on a Visceral/gut level of cool dreams of what a supercar should look like.

I'm sure that Mr. Shikado was chosen for the new Viper design by the Daimler team who have moved away from the shapely 90's Chrysler concept designs to more stocky, mainstream car designs.

The **** Prowler, Viper, Sidewinder, Charger and Copperhead look has given way to the Chrysler Pacifica, and Dodge Razor, and blunt, cross-nosed versions of the '03 Neon and Stratus.

So the Viper is now more mainstream, just like the Porsche 911 has become.

-Dean.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the cartoonish statement has been made in the past and was referring to many of the new cars that Chrysler was making at that time. PT cruiser, Viper, Prowler.

I looked at a Honda Accord for my son, but could not get myself to buy it since it looked so plain.

The only negative to the Viper I hear is that sometimes it attracts too much attention.

Another comment is that when you're not driving the Viper, you realize it was the car they were staring at, not you.

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the new Accord is amazingly plain looking.
Most of the Japanese car designs range from plain/dull, to tastefully derivative, to akward/gaudy.

Just driving to get dinner last night I had a young lady yell out of her car "that's beautiful!", and separate two sets of kids on bikes yelled "nice car" as I drove past.

A couple days ago a woman passenger rolled down the window while we were stopped at a light, pulled out a digital camera, and started taking pictures of my Viper.
smile.gif

The style of the car definitely makes a statement!
supergrin.gif

-Dean.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
To this author's eye, the new design doesn't seem any "less cartoonish," but it does seem less cohesive.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smooth lines is where it is at! These new designers and there sharp angles make me sick! These shapes WILL NOT stand the test of time. 25 years from now everyone will still drool over the shape of the Gen I & Gen II. Gen III? I don't think so...

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the above consensus on styling, eloquently summed up by onerareviper about the new styling not standing the test of time like the GenI/II styling....

Now, with respect to performance, I was interest to read this:

"Performance, as one might expect, is almost otherworldly. Of course, the old car was no slug, and, truth be told, it wasn't instantly apparent that the new Viper was any quicker. Let's be honest, once a vehicle is making 460 horsepower, another 40 isn't going to change your impression of it. The previous Viper was fast. The new Viper is fast. Any statement beyond that will require a radar gun and a computer."

Since we "whiners" were promised that SRT performance would make up for all the styling shortcomings, I definitely don't like to hear that the new performance is indistinguishable from the old....

Though, once again, I have to say I am not surprised. My '97 GTS dyno'd at 425 rwhp, i.e., 488 bhp. How much more power could the SRT really have???

--Mike

(SRT on order....)

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike..take it for a ride and your opinion might change.
You must be registered for see images

I drove it and was given a wild ride in one. Its a outstanding car!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT10,

I know I sound down on the SRT today. FWIW, I am getting slammed at work, so maybe I'm "venting" by slamming on the SRT.

Anyway, I will take delivery of mine (if the frickin' CA emissions BS ever gets resolved
rolleyes.gif
-- oops, there I go again being negative), and I hope I will love it!
smile.gif

Seriously, after paying well over $80K for the thing out the door (and that is thanks to a "good deal"), I really do hope I will love it!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark O:
Eithr you like the looks or you don't. However, the big question is this: How much are you willing to loose once you decide to sell it?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How many factory stock 500 hp cars exist that cost less than 100k? Only the SRT. That in itself should hold some value.

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also believe that the depreciation will not be much different than the current Vipers.

There aren't too many SRT-10s being built, and the '03s are all spoken for already. This will probably hike up the prices.

And after the SRT prices stabilize then the new Vipers still will be a great value relative to the $80K NSXs, and regular Porsche 911s, and the $260K 360 Spyders.

-Dean.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth