Eibachs in for install - any tips/suggestions?

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the Eibachs in. I am going to go ahead and drop her like its hot... :D

Anything that I should keep in mind before I do it? Any tips/suggestions that might save me a headache or two?

Thanks in advance! :2tu:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to do this a while back and make a "How To" thread on it. I never got around to it and still have the springs and caps in a box. Now that I just put diffuse blades on the back, Ill probably just put the springs on and sell the caps to a buddy or ebay em.

I'd be interested to see a follow up once you complete the install. I've heard it would be better to just take it somewhere and have a pro do it and align everything at the same time.

Someone will chime in no doubt... :eater:

:usa:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect timing for this thread. I plan to do this on my GTS, along with Iforged, SOON!!!!

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll need a spring compressor to compress the springs and get them on the shocks. At least I had to on my Gen I... so I removed everything and took the springs/shocks to A.R.T. and David Weaver put them on the shocks for me. Then I took them home and bolted them right on. Easy stuff... OH, ALSO, you might as well adjust your shocks for your aplication if you want... David adjusted mine for the drag strip. Better launch.

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spring compressors are in my friend's garage waiting...

so...for "in town driving" and the ocassional "spirited drive"...what setting on the shocks should be used?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spring compressors are in my friend's garage waiting...

so...for "in town driving" and the ocassional "spirited drive"...what setting on the shocks should be used?

I may be wrong, but I would almost say leave them at the stock setting for your application. I believe David set mine around 50% in the rear and 80% in the front, which made the ride somewhat stiffer all around, but let the front lift easier at the drag strip, which is what's needed for planting the rear tires to the ground (I may be bass ackwards on the %). For road racing, you would want them suckers equally stiff to limit body roll, so adjustments would be necessary (maybe a 50% / 50% or 80% / 80%). For just street driving like you are doing and nothing to prove at the drag strip every once and a while, leave them at the stock setting. The springs alone will provide a tighter, more "spirited" ride and you will be quite happy. Just mind the lower front and be careful pulling up to parking lots and go at angles when entering/leaving slanted drives.

Just a quick thought... if there are alot of bumpy roads that you navigate routinely, it may be wise to adjust the shocks a little and tighten them up (maybe the 80% / 80% setting), to prevent any bottoming out on really bumpy roads or roads with dips. Tighter shocks will prevent the car from dipping into bumps and scraping. Driving a lowered car actually takes practice and you will sometimes need to re-navigate certain routes that you would normally travel at leisure. Some gas stations may no longer be accessible and drives too, depending on the angles of the drives. Just use common sense and always go in angles. Drive a little slower than normal and pay attention to the road in front of you! Pay attention for any road construction as well.

zracer196

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought we just had rebound adjusting??

This should be the RATE (or how fast) at which the shock rebounds (extends). If you "tighten it up" and you have a series of bumps in a row (bumpy road), the shock will "pack" and not be able to follow the bumps quickly enough. The ride will get more and more harsh over the series of bumps.

If you want the front to come up at the dragstrip, I think you need to soften it up, thus allowing the rebound RATE to be quicker.

I raced streetbikes for a long time and have plenty of experience with tuning MOTORCYCLES...None on cars, but I think the process should be the same.

My .02 for what it is worth!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search this site for how to adjust the damping on the stock shocks (I recall some good posts a year or more back) and adjust your shocks so that the damping is at maximum. The Eibachs are short and stiff and need as much damping as you can give them to not be boingy.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to do this a while back and make a "How To" thread on it. I never got around to it and still have the springs and caps in a box. Now that I just put diffuse blades on the back, Ill probably just put the springs on and sell the caps to a buddy or ebay em.

I'd be interested to see a follow up once you complete the install. I've heard it would be better to just take it somewhere and have a pro do it and align everything at the same time.

Someone will chime in no doubt... :eater:

:usa:

How much for the caps? :D

SnakeCharmer99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
TW,
Here's what I did with the help from the Wizard ( 914-763-3136 ). Make sure when you put the Eibachs on you adjust the Dampners on the stock Koni's. Push the shock all the way in with the rubber stop off, turn the shock clockwise until it stops, then turn out 3 half turns.

This is what he suggested for a street aplication. Now of course you can play with this configuration and adjust it to your style of driving. And of course, I'm sure you allready know to get an alignment post any adjustment otherwise your ride will be squirrlier than a nutthatch being taken away to mental health. :)

You can try Koni's web too www.koni-na.com wealth of info there.
Hope that helps some.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets