electrical!

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
alright guys and gals quick question, was curious if the electrical problems im seeing are related to something bigger or are just isolated incidents. About last year my high beams won't stay on when engaged, they just act as if you were flashing them, not turning them on. Additionally my cockpit lamps on the rearview turn on when the doors open, however when the doors are closed they cannot be turned on with the actual switches on the rearview. Finally im havin trouble with the drivers door, specifically the door handle sometimes does not work when the door is closed, and when the door is opened to its extreme angle the speaker cuts out. I feel this last issue may be due to the wiring harness in the door jam being crimped and losing connection, however just wanted to throw this stuff out to all of you. Again, is there a common electrical problem or do these sound like isolated problems that need fixing.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
They sound completely unrelated, except for the two door problems, which are probably due to the harness kink in the door hinge area, as you said. There have been many threads on fixing the door harness, use the search function.

Lastly, order yourself a service manual, it will help you in all kinds of ways, electrical, and a whole lot more.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your hi beams are coming on at all, then I suspect the relay and fuse are good. I would also suspect that the latching mechanism for keeping them on is in the multi-function switch itself. Which it appears yours is not latching. They are not terribly expensive, nor rocket science to replace.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, I had a wiper issue and looked into replacing the turn signal stalk... I'd send my car to you Dave, before investing time in that one. Did you really look or do you Texas guys have that much time and patience?

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the advice.

Vic, Im definately looking into the service manual. How detailed are they? do you have to be a mechanical wizard to understand it or can a greenthumb like me use it well?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Mahesh,
Why thank you, yours is a great color, too!

The Saphire Mutual Admiration Society meeting will adjourn now...

The manual is pretty straightforward. I used it to put in a new cam, and new heads. Pretty detailed, leads you step by step. If you are handy with tools, you'll do ok.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Im definately looking into the service manual. How detailed are they? do you have to be a mechanical wizard to understand it or can a greenthumb like me use it well?

You'll use spell and grammar check a lot less frequently in the printed version than this web site. :rolaugh:

Really though, I've got the 4 book set on my '01 and it is priceless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456