Engine Bay

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been watching the adams videos in preperation for a ful detailing of my car. Cleaning the Engine

What special precautions do I need to make to detail the engine bay? I'll certainly cover the altenator and fuse box. I'm thinking of removing the air filter box the covering the throttle body intake. Do you think I need to cover sensors? There are several that are exposed.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most all under hood electrical connections and sensors are water resistant enough so that incidental water contact should be of no concern. Just because the average Viper owner does not drive his or her vehicle in the rain does not mean the car is not built to withstand the deluge of water that would spray the engine compartment in a downpour.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A lot of times it's good to keep the engine running and lightly mist the engine bay (rain effect). Listen to the idle and any sign of a rough idle, dry it off. More water, in this case, is not better.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i must have washed my engine 200 times since i bought it. i flood it... dont sweat it. an engine would get wetter driving in the rain. use the same soap as you use on the exterior.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe I blew out my temperature guage (GTS) due to excessive water when cleaning the engine.
The sensor sits in a recess in the upper block, and water can puddle in there and it will stay in the recess.
I can't say for sure that is why, but if you look at the geometry it makes sense.
Chuck had to replace it.

This was of course over time. Many months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never use high pressure water in the engine bay. The purpose of water when cleaning today's engines is to rinse off the initial dust and to rinse the soap off after the wash. Water should never be used to force remove dirt on today's engines. That is what will get you in trouble.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wash down my motor every time I wash the car. then I blow off the motor and car with an electric leaf blower .

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Tech @ Tomball Dodge (Morgan), reminded me to put a piece of tape over the breather hole of the clutch fluid reservoir cap, when using water under the hood. He found water in my clutch fluid :omg:

OP
OP
S

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Tech @ Tomball Dodge (Morgan), reminded me to put a piece of tape over the breather hole of the clutch fluid reservoir cap, when using water under the hood. He found water in my clutch fluid
See, now that was an important piece of advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave