Engine Covers......... Why?

Flylow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I absolutely love the GenV Viper. I think that the people at SRT did an outstanding job with this super car - except for the engine plastic covers. Sure, they look OK - but am I the only one that thinks it's a shame to cover the engine? Why? To pretend that it looks better than it actually does. If that is the case, clean up the actual engine and save the pretty cover.

On a "real/pure" sports car, with manual transmission, limited amount of electronics, and where all vents are there 'not for looks but function', why would you not keep it "honest" under the hood as well. I sure enjoy looking at the engine in previous Gen Vipers. In GenV, I get to look at a cover instead of the actual engine components, what a shame. Would it keep me from buying one - not really - but I much prefer the real stuff rather than a cover.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most covers are there for the reduction of noise.

If you are bothered so much, I believe you can take them off in under 5 minutes...problem solved.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like a Cadillac engine. I'd have the covers removed before taking delivery. Otherwise I'd be embarrassed to open the hood.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most covers are there for the reduction of noise.

This. The auto manufacturers have found that customers generally don't react well to hearing mechanical things...you know, the "why is my engine so clicky?" types of questions where the response is "that's how it is supposed to sound." Oddly enough, some people don't buy that explanation, and also don't like hearing it every time they drive. Enter the engine cover.

Thankfully, they are easily removed for those that don't mind listening to the engine do its thing.

OP
OP
F

Flylow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Noise reduction - OK then. I guess that is an "improvement" over previous Vipers. I already saw pictures of C/F versions, is that even better noise reduction then? Cause it sure would be lighter without any shields at all - C/F or not.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most covers have insulating pads under them, as stated for noise and sometimes radio interference reduction.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most covers have insulating pads under them, as stated for noise and sometimes radio interference reduction.

I believe Nine Ball is on to something. Yes, audible noise reduction is an issue, but manufacturers must also insulate the sophisticated electronic systems too. I work in the electronics industry and EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) is a major issue. It's probably another reason why many manufacturers started adding engine covers. It's probably cheaper to shield the coil-packs with covers than filtering out the "electronic noise" within the wires/cables, connectors or within a module. In terms of pricing, the automotive electronics industry is very cost sensitive. I've lost business for less than a penny on automotive applications in the past. Think of the interior alone. You've got a TFT dash display, and an 8" touch display. Although the interference may be minimal, it's there and could cause a glitch. Just a theory. Maybe someone thought the covers looked good. : )

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its also cheaper to build a ugly motor, and put some plastic beauty covers on it to dress it up

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its also cheaper to build a ugly motor, and put some plastic beauty covers on it to dress it up

Bingo...one of the coolest comments about my car when people look at the Viper motor is "wow, I can see all of your engine...that looks so good". If you remove the plastic covers, you're usually going to get a rats nest of ugliness to deal with.

Hopefully it's not like that on the new Gen 5, but I haven't seen one with the covers removed.

Cheers,
George

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bingo...one of the coolest comments about my car when people look at the Viper motor is "wow, I can see all of your engine...that looks so good". If you remove the plastic covers, you're usually going to get a rats nest of ugliness to deal with.

Hopefully it's not like that on the new Gen 5, but I haven't seen one with the covers removed.

Cheers,
George

The look of the engine wasn't a big concern for me, but on the Gen 3 it is a thing of beauty-- Long, clean, and symmetrical. It reminds me of a nice Italian car with a clear hood.I love to open the hood and look at the engine.

On the new car, the look under the hood is about the only thing I don't like. I do prefer function over form, but I like how Ferrari has figured out how to achieve both.

At least on the new car the plastic is under the hood rather than all over the interior ;)

~Jay

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has been a tradition for each generation of Viper to have dressed engine compartments.

Take a look. A lot of effort has been spent to make the engine compartments look good.

WIres are tucked away, intakes look cool, valve covers make a statement.

The new covers add a splash of color, and can be easily changed out, painted, or removed at the choice of the owner.

Biggest piece of eye candy on the new car is the really cool aluminum alloy X cross brace that tucks close as it goes over the engine to provide additional stiffness to the chassis.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the look of my Gen IV engine. I do not like the covers on the Gen V.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what it should look like. No covers needed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what it should look like. No covers needed.

Yes, we all want everything a 300K vehicle comes with for less than half the price.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, we all want everything a 300K vehicle comes with for less than half the price.

All the previous Viper engines looked just like that Ferrari engine... for less than the cost of the new Viper.

The reason it has covers is simple, and was stated above- its cheaper to change the look this way. The Gen-5 engine is mostly identical to the Gen-4, and they probably wanted to detract from that fact given the new car.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the previous Viper engines looked just like that Ferrari engine... for less than the cost of the new Viper.

The reason it has covers is simple, and was stated above- its cheaper to change the look this way. The Gen-5 engine is mostly identical to the Gen-4, and they probably wanted to detract from that fact given the new car.

Ummm...SRT should have looked at your Avatar and followed your Gen III to IV conversion if they were curious how to dress up an engine. Your Avatar with the CF X-Brace would have been sweet!!!! (or will be when someone does it)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ummm...SRT should have looked at your Avatar and followed your Gen III to IV conversion if they were curious how to dress up an engine. Your Avatar with the CF X-Brace would have been sweet!!!! (or will be when someone does it)

Well.... I didn't want to toot my own horn or anything, hahaha

Thanks for the compliment though.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.... I didn't want to toot my own horn or anything, hahaha

Thanks for the compliment though.

Anytime Dan. We've had some good email conversations. It is nice to know that you put engineering thought into your products and solutions. Most shops don't.