Events Notification

How do you wish to be notified of events?

• Web Site

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Event Calendar

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • All Three

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somehow I missed this thread. :dunno:

I check the forum regularly, because it e-mails me when something's up. I subscribed to everything in Washington, so that's what I get. Usually.

Scotty-tnt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because people dont show up on the forum and vote is why the events are down! That doesnt make sense.

The forum is still a newer piece to the club, and is pushed at every event. Im also sure if you talk to Mike L. the hits to the site have never been real big. Any increases may have been due to the New store which is already bringing in a little extra money and the forum here locally has "Helped"

EVERYONE gets a email and has notice to show up to show to an event AND are showing to the ones they like. ALOT of people are tired of the "SAME OLD EVENTS" over and over and that may also be the problem.

Take the "NEW" drive that Bill Sand put on a few weeks ago, It was just a few days notice and had six cars show up, and two that would have made it but overslept. So Emails DO work as well as this forum. The mailings are very costly as they always have been in the past, and with the mail expenses going up all the time our budget can not handle that.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Such hostility:D

I like the forum but it doesnt seem to get much attention from the club.

Email seems to be the answer.:confused:

I do think you are right about the "same old event" comment, maybe we could get some fresh ideas from the members at the planning meeting this year.

We just need to get some of the new people up show up to Toms house!!:dunno:

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that the forum is the most timely, least amount of effort and is not dependant on getting through spam filters or reliant on a person to update the web page. Maybe one of our messages to the membership for 2009 needs to be if you want to know what is going on, here is the primary source that we will use for distribution of information. We will do what we can via email and web page when time allows. This is the information age, the web forum is a great tool, we need to make the most of it going forward. (This is how news from National is distributed to the board and officers, usually with a follow up email, just in case.)

James

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of Events Notification, I've got a new event that I want to put together on short notice - How would I normally do this?

Here's the idea: Let's have a Car Winterization event at Maltby Motorsports some Saturday between now and the end of October. What I'd like to do is coordinate with Cam & Janet so that they could clear out some bays in the shop for like a 9am-3pm event, have a bundled special price for lube, oil, oil filter, ail-filter (clean or replace as appropriate), gas stabilizer, and anti-freeze check/replace. Club members (I would be willing) could show up and cook hot-dogs, provide cold drinks, and get quick turn-around on winterizing their cars. Cam & Janet would get a boost in business, which given their support of us through the years would be a good thing. The club would provide dogs, buns, and drinks, and get a social / functional event out of the deal.

Steve

snnseatl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get together with Cam and Janet, plan the event, post all the details on the forum, I will send out the details from the forum in an email to the club.

snnseatl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that the forum is the most timely, least amount of effort and is not dependant on getting through spam filters or reliant on a person to update the web page. Maybe one of our messages to the membership for 2009 needs to be if you want to know what is going on, here is the primary source that we will use for distribution of information. We will do what we can via email and web page when time allows. This is the information age, the web forum is a great tool, we need to make the most of it going forward. (This is how news from National is distributed to the board and officers, usually with a follow up email, just in case.)

James

Isn't fact that things were only being discussed on the forum and not through mailings and emails what started this
poll? :dunno:

OP
OP
M

mikelet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I started this poll I did not intend it to be a p***ing contest. I merely wanted to see what the members wanted.

Last edited:

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think this is a "******* contest" if we dont talk about what the problem is we will not find a solution.

Of coarse we could all tip toe around and not come to a solution, wouldnt want to anger anyone....

Last edited:

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the idea of the poll, it was a great idea Mike~! I agree different people look in different places for the information and not enough have looked at the forums up until now as a source of information.
If we as the club's leadership provide guidance to what we believe is the best method, then they won't be waiting for an email or looking on the wa vca web page or waiting for a phobne call for last minute changes, but instead checking the forums.
If the method is in place and sufficient notice, reminders and instructions are given, people can change their ways and in this case it would be more efficient and timely with less effort.

Think about it, 25 years ago, people listened to music on records & cassettes and certainly didn't have email, they have adapted and will continue to do so as technology advances.

The problem with emails is that a very high percentage (over 5%) do not have correct email addresses, either through National or the fact that they think there email is [email protected] instead of [email protected] which despite correcting, gets un-done every year when they re-submit their renewals.

In our club's welcome email to the new members and renewals we should inform them about our regional web page as well as the forums.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think this is a "******* contest" if we dont talk about what the problem is we will not find a solution.

Of coarse we could all tip toe around and not come to a solution, wouldnt want to anger anyone....

You are right, this was intended to be an open discussion about what VCA members want and possibly how to make things better for the club. :usa:

Seems like there are a few that resist change to the point that it is hard to make progress and actually improve something, that is getting complaints :( from the other members, but thank goodness they are in the minority. :)

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since we are talking communication methods, James, you have an old fashioned E-mail I just sent you.

Later,

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think about it, 25 years ago, people listened to music on records & cassettes and certainly didn't have email, they have adapted and will continue to do so as technology advances.

The problem with emails is that a very high percentage (over 5%) do not have correct email addresses, either through National or the fact that they think there email is [email protected] instead of [email protected] which despite correcting, gets un-done every year when they re-submit their renewals.

In our club's welcome email to the new members and renewals we should inform them about our regional web page as well as the forums.

James, I still listen to records and tapes. I do listen to cd's too but I'm probably NOT going to the next medium.
I like getting the e-mails, and that's the way I voted. The job of the officers is to communicate TO the members.
I really don't see how posting on the forum is less work when you can set up e-mailing lists. Those lists don't get re-set each year.
Look at the poll, and see how many folks want the info ALL THREE WAYS. I believe the membership cannot be OVER COMMUNICATED TO!
'nuf said.
PBR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets