Failed Inspection Because of Wiper Blades! - Vent

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, 2 weeks ago, I picked up my 2003 SRT-10 from a dealership up in Connecticut and looked forward to the long drive home with my brother-in-law. The car was very nice but did have a few issues that I was aware of when both my bro-in-law and I did a full inspection of the car before the purchase. After the very long drive back to MD (400+ miles and 7 hrs), I was excited to get the car MD state inspected and on the road to enjoy. Needless to say, I did not anticipate the hassle that this car was going to give me over the next week.

When I got the car inspected at a local shop, the shop failed the car for 4 things(a couple of which I expected :hitfan:):
1) Window tint - Anything other than factory installed tint on any car requires it to be state police inspected and must be higher than 35% tint (which it was not).
2) Tires - The tires were factory run craps and I had planned on getting new tires after the purchase. I was just hoping to get past the initial inspection so that I had some time to get the tires on the car.
3) Blown Driver/Front Shock - The shock was leaking oil and the mechanic said that he could not pass the cars suspension as being safe with one of the shocks leaking oil. Luckily, Jon B at PartsRack hooked me up with a used coilover at a great price (thanks Jon!) and I can probably do the installation myself.
Finally.....
4) Wiper Blades :mad:!!!! - This A$$hole of a mechanic said that the wiper blades needed to be replaced on the car before he would certify the car. I was pretty ********** that this guy is being so petty that he won't pass me because of old wiper blades. I wish I had said to him "What else do they have to do other than touch the glass?". What made me even more mad is that I'm finding out that not only do no commercial wiper blades fit on an '03 SRT-10, but the Mopar replacements are $40 each :curse:!!! I knew I was going to have to pay a Viper tax on things, but this is a 100% markup from the most expensive blades I could get at a local auto store.

Sorry for the vent, but that whole experience (which is not over yet) is complete bullspit.

:soapy:End rant.

Shout out to Jon B at PartsRack though. He really did hook me up.
And yes...:needpics:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well that sux.

in Illinois we inspect our cars differently. for instance, this morning i walked past my car, produced a big grin, and started my day. inspection passed.

however, this morning i did see a few cars on the road that needed an inspection BAD.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i for 1 feel safer that you have good wiper blades :rolleyes:

was his 1 chance to have power over a viper owner, be satisfied you made his day :hug:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bright side is in MD you only have to do it once. Here in VA... every year... and yeah, wiper blades are the money maker 'round my parts.

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pretty minor stuff, IMO. At least you didn't get dinged for something like no cats, which would have run much, much deeper into your pockets.

Sounds like petty stuff, get it fixed and start having fun!

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What tires did you end up going with?

Where in MD are you at?

Hey Hank,

I'm in Elkridge, MD. I live right near the intersection of Rt. 175 and I-95 about 10 miles south of Baltimore.

I ended up going with a set of Kumho Ecsta's from TireRack. I really wanted to get a set of PS2's because of all the positive comments from people on the forums for the tires, but I could not justify spending $400 more on the set when some reviews I've read said that the Kumho's perform really well, if not better, on dry roads (which is all I'll be doing).

Would have gone with Nitto Invo's but reviews from Car and Driver online said they were not as good as the Kumhos.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My very first mod to my Viper!!!! =D

I drove home in the rain when I first got it and found out my wipers sucked!

You must be registered for see images attach

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The bright side is in MD you only have to do it once. Here in VA... every year... and yeah, wiper blades are the money maker 'round my parts

Same here in PA. Even though when it goes in at the end of this month for inspection, and even though she'll have only 2500 miles since it was inspected last year, they ALWAYS find something.:cool:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't have safety inspections here in California...yet! The state has a big enough racket going with the smog inspections and registration fees and nearly 10% sales tax.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No inspection in Nor Cal :omg: Dang here in So Cal they look at everything...

I had a Prowler that failed once because of a little air filter on the valve cover instead of the plain rubber hose bypass..

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, 2 weeks ago, I picked up my 2003 SRT-10 from a dealership up in Connecticut and looked forward to the long drive home with my brother-in-law. The car was very nice but did have a few issues that I was aware of when both my bro-in-law and I did a full inspection of the car before the purchase. After the very long drive back to MD (400+ miles and 7 hrs), I was excited to get the car MD state inspected and on the road to enjoy. Needless to say, I did not anticipate the hassle that this car was going to give me over the next week.

When I got the car inspected at a local shop, the shop failed the car for 4 things(a couple of which I expected :hitfan:):
1) Window tint - Anything other than factory installed tint on any car requires it to be state police inspected and must be higher than 35% tint (which it was not).
2) Tires - The tires were factory run craps and I had planned on getting new tires after the purchase. I was just hoping to get past the initial inspection so that I had some time to get the tires on the car.
3) Blown Driver/Front Shock - The shock was leaking oil and the mechanic said that he could not pass the cars suspension as being safe with one of the shocks leaking oil. Luckily, Jon B at PartsRack hooked me up with a used coilover at a great price (thanks Jon!) and I can probably do the installation myself.
Finally.....
4) Wiper Blades :mad:!!!! - This A$$hole of a mechanic said that the wiper blades needed to be replaced on the car before he would certify the car. I was pretty ********** that this guy is being so petty that he won't pass me because of old wiper blades. I wish I had said to him "What else do they have to do other than touch the glass?". What made me even more mad is that I'm finding out that not only do no commercial wiper blades fit on an '03 SRT-10, but the Mopar replacements are $40 each :curse:!!! I knew I was going to have to pay a Viper tax on things, but this is a 100% markup from the most expensive blades I could get at a local auto store.

Sorry for the vent, but that whole experience (which is not over yet) is complete bullspit.

:soapy:End rant.

Shout out to Jon B at PartsRack though. He really did hook me up.
And yes...:needpics:

What a croc! I love the way some states need to save us from ourselves. Auto inspection was a good idea gone to far!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No inspection in Nor Cal :omg: Dang here in So Cal they look at everything...

I had a Prowler that failed once because of a little air filter on the valve cover instead of the plain rubber hose bypass..

No, they still inspect for original emissions equipment, but they don't look to see if the tires have tread, or if brakes, lights, horn and wipers work. As long as it passes smog they are okay with it.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow that ***** man, here in KY it is BS too, the Sheriff gets up from his donut, walks out and makes sure the vin # matches the paperwork then checks headlights/brights/horn/turnsignals/running lights and yes, wipers so I'm sure we would get a fail too if they didn't work.

sn95gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Emission notice soon to follow. By the way I'm over by the mall.

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Emission notice soon to follow. By the way I'm over by the mall.

I'm hoping that with the dual side exhaust, the technicians at the inspection station will look at the car and say "Uh, we don't know how to test that. Go one through! You're done." and then leave it at that.

I love driving the car, but between finding parts for it and then finding someone who can work on it (the tires in this case), it's been a pain in the caboose since I've gotten it.

I can't wait until we get consistent good weather to go down to the Great Falls Cars and Coffee and the one in Annapolis too. The car is a beast, but people drive too slow around here!:D

sn95gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By time my credit card was approved the emission test was done. I think just tires in Glen Burnie did my 2001 rear tires replacement without any issues. And there is an auto shop in Columbia that I felt comfortable enough with to do my inspection and the owner used to own an SRT10 pickup.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the guy that flunked ur car for wipers, its not his fault, why should he risk his ass for you car? he doest make the rules the state does, but its his ass if he gets caught not following them, not your ass!

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a car fail the safety inspection in NC due to a tiny tear in the wiper blade. I knew they were getting old, and should have replaced them before getting it inspected. No biggie, as the inspector was just doing what he's supposed to do.

$40 is a bit stiff for a replacement wiper...but your Viper is a lot more fun to drive than a car that uses a $5 blade.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bring it to my shop and ill flunk your ass for wiper blades too. and ill charge your ass about 60 bucks for them...