Fatal crash in NJ................. 2006 Viper

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Jesus.... R.I.P.

It angers me so much just to think that DC just put those roll bars as dummys... that could have saved this life, and many more...

If I decide on keeping my '04, I will definitely install the real thing, and weld it, not bolt it on.

I hope this does not happen again, god rest his soul.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesus.... R.I.P.

It angers me so much just to think that DC just put those roll bars as dummys... that could have saved this life, and many more...

If I decide on keeping my '04, I will definitely install the real thing, and weld it, not bolt it on.

I hope this does not happen again, god rest his soul.

unless there's a picture that didn't load for me, there is no mention of the body style, this could have been a coupe.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This accident happened just 20 minutes from where I live. I don't recognize the name, but there aren't very many Vipers in this area. I just saw a green RT10 a couple days ago right in my neighborhood. Hope it wasn't him.

Condolences to the family. A very sad day for the Viper community.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This accident happened just 20 minutes from where I live. I don't recognize the name, but there aren't very many Vipers in this area. I just saw a green RT10 a couple days ago right in my neighborhood. Hope it wasn't him.

Condolences to the family. A very sad day for the Viper community.

Article said it was an 06' Viper, so it wouldn't have been that guy unless he has more than 1 Viper

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad.

Let's hope the gen3.5 has real hoops.

Did I hear once before where the driver of an SRT/10 died and the passenger survived? Normally it’s the other way around.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very sad to hear about, thats why we should alway know, no matter how much fun it is to drive at 120, be careful out there. whats even worse is that woman who killed the person she hit while she was driving drunk. there is no excuse for that and she killed someone out of her irresponsibility. RIP

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"many more?" Is there an epidemic of Vipers rolling? And as Snampro said, this could have been a coupe.

What annoys me is people who buy a powerful sports car and don't put the effort into going to a track and learning how to handle it.

RIP to the deceased and condolences to family and friends.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that we should all reserve judgment here until the facts are known. There is no mention of skid marks or speeding in the article. This accident could have been caused by many things: equipment failure, swerving to avoid someone who ran into the road, a medical event ( heart attack, stroke, fainting spell ), an irrational act by the passenger, etc. I think that it is very important that the cause be disclosed. Especially if any equipment failure was involved. My prayers are with his wife and child.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it anyone we know? I've only been around here for 2-3 years... this is the first year where I've read of so many Viper losses. Is this the norm?

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhh.....................[******]!!

WTH....we lost two members in Canada over the last 5 months. I would not suprised if a coalition forms to ban these cars. That or insurance premiums will be hiked up like crazy.

Thoughts and Prayers.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can not express my sorrow to this family. I do hope that we will find out the real cause of this crash and if there was an equipment failure.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
WTH....we lost two members in Canada over the last 5 months. I would not suprised if a coalition forms to ban these cars

There are like 50,000 deaths from traffic accidents every year in the United States. Sports cars probably only account for a tiny fraction of those deaths. So banning sports cars probably isn't going to make a dent in any actuarial table, so I doubt anything will come of it.

Unless some sh*thead politician wants a convenient issue to ride into office on, and get the old conservative voters worked up into a voting frenzy.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WTH....we lost two members in Canada over the last 5 months. I would not suprised if a coalition forms to ban these cars

There are like 50,000 deaths from traffic accidents every year in the United States. Sports cars probably only account for a tiny fraction of those deaths. So banning sports cars probably isn't going to make a dent in any actuarial table, so I doubt anything will come of it.

Unless some sh*thead politician wants a convenient issue to ride into office on, and get the old conservative voters worked up into a voting frenzy.

When the Kawasaki 900 first came out, which is widely considered the first of the true Japanese superbikes, so many riders were killed in the first year of production that they nicknamed the bike "the widow maker". There was a short lived movement to ban bikes of that nature due to the high number of accidents they were involved in. This was over 30 yeras ago and the superbike industry is doing just fine today. I wouldn't be concerned about Vipers or any other sports cars being banned. However, a little pressure on the manufacturers to make them safer would be a good thing. No high hp convertibles should be produced without a true rollbar. Just seems like basic common sense to most of us. But keeping production cost as low as possible has historically been more important to auto manufacturers than safety. Very sad.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
However, a little pressure on the manufacturers to make them safer would be a good thing. No high hp convertibles should be produced without a true rollbar. Just seems like basic common sense to most of us. But keeping production cost as low as possible has historically been more important to auto manufacturers than safety. Very sad.

Thats interesting. Is Viper the only vert without a roll bar on the market today?

Patrick

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some information. I think at the end of the day it boils down to unsafe driving and people that just don't have respect for what the cars can do.......I agree take it to the track and learn. I was at the track this weekend and let me tell you , you have a lot more knowledge when your finished. !!!!

Much of the peril in the most dangerous cars has nothing to do with construction. There are four cars commonly on today’s roads that are extremely dangerous because of their price, their power, and their appeal to young men. The cars that pack the added wallop are Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, and Firebird. David Champion, the director of Automotive Testing Division for consumers Union, the nonprofit publisher of Consumer Reports says that these aspects of these four cars add up to higher death rates.

Beginning in 1984 the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) started tracking car occupant death rate and found that the rate for sports cars is nearly twice as high as for average cars.

For 1984-1988 models, here are some statistics. (At that time, the death rate was measured in deaths per ten thousand.)
Corvettes: 4.7 deaths per ten thousand
Mustangs: 4.3 deaths per ten thousand
Camaros: 4.3 deaths per ten thousand
Firebirds: 3.2 deaths per ten thousand
It’s important to note that the death rate for 1984-1988 Corvette’s is 2.5 times the national average, of 1.9 per ten thousand. And it is nine times the rate of the car deemed the safest car on the road, the Volvo 240 station wagon.

What is it about these cars that is so unsafe? The drivers. The cars themselves are not inherently unsafe. It’s the way people drive them. Kim Hazelbaker of the IIHS says that the vehicles encourage risk. Cars like these four attract young male drivers. It’s a combination of power, price, and style that draws young males who are already charged with testosterone.

Sports cars do handle differently so driving them requires extra care. Still, automakers don’t want to lay all the blame on drivers.

The most recent data from the IIHS measured models from 1995-1998. For those models, Corvette was replaced on the list as the most dangerous car by Camaro, having a death rate of 308 deaths per million compared to the national average of 89 per million. Firebirds came in at second, with 267 per million. And 1994-1997 Mustangs are showing improvement, with a drop to 138 per million.

One thing that these cars do have going for them is the fact that they are rear-wheel drive. Though front-wheel drive vehicles have their advantages, rear-wheel drive allows for more control when driving very fast. And, let’s face it. The people who buy Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs likely intend to drive at high rates of speed. In slippery conditions, rear-wheel drive vehicles have less traction, but the drivers can gain traction by adding ballast weight to the trunk, unlike front-wheel drive cars.

If you’re wondering how your car rates for safety, go to this Web site and enter your car and year to see crash test results for models from 1984-2003.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Patrick-

Those statistics appear to be refering to deaths per ten thousand, of what? OF Corvette owners? (et al) Ok... Putting it that way makes it sound like sports car deaths are astronomical, if the death rate of sports cars is emphasized, over the sheer number of deaths. I don't know whart the raw numbers are for sports car owner deaths, but I'll bet it pales in comparison with overall traffic deaths.

Sports car are generally smaller and lighter than family sedans and pick-up trucks, and that may help to skew the statistics to show the higher death rate for sports cars. "9 times the Volvo 240". Ok, thats a car that is built primarily for safety, so that figures, heavier cars with built in roll cages, or full size trucks and SUVs will have a lower death rate. I'm not trying to say that sports car drivers don't tend to risk their safety more than other drivers, I'm just pointing out that the statistic of deaths/per/ten thousand/owners alone don't show every aspect of the number of traffic deaths. The construction of the vehicle itself has some bearing as well. And the huge number of mid-life crisis Vette owners will likely be more prone to heart attack or other age-related complications stemming from a car accident, and that may skew the statistic also.

I wonder how the deaths/per/ten thousand/owners statistic stacks up to deaths per total miles traveled, deaths per year, etc.

Here is a statistic that goes against the insurance industry's statistical spin- There are more deaths on American freeways, with our 65 mph limit, than there are on the Autobahn, with its sometimes unlimited speedlimit, per miles traveled. If speed alone was the single biggest factor in trafic deaths, it would follow that the Autobahn would be the deadliest freeway system, but it isn't. Education, skill, training, can play a big part in it. I'm for a higher level of training for Americans at large, and maybe some optional courses for professional truck drivers and sports car owners. We can make American highways as safe or safer as the world's best.

Although the rate of deaths in sports cars may be higher than the national average, it is also true that there are far less sports cars than there are other types of vehicles, therefore, the raw numbers of sports car deaths may not be consequential, when compared to the total number of traffic deaths each year, all types of vehicles included.

Why do I care about all this stuff? Because I don't want some fat azzed, opportunistic politician to mis-read statistics, and make some knee-**** reaction, aided by some mis-guided, tree-hugging journalists, and pass legislation restricting our American freedoms, based on a shallow examination of the statistics. THats the kind of sh*t they'll do, if they are trying get (re)elected.

Its too easy for them to say stuff like "Speed is the biggest single factor in traffic deaths" No sh*t, that only goes without saying, because if every vehicle was stopped (Speed=0), then there would be no deaths. So its stupid statement frequently made by people who don't like cars, or are afraid of them, or are frequent bed wetters, seeking to shift the publics' attention.

Obviously, speed is a neccessary component to our economy, and its not the speed alone that is the problem, its also our cursory traffic education system, and lax pre-licensing training.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the safety of a convertible is a concern there is a pretty simple solution - DON'T BUY ONE. Or is that being unreasonable?

I believe they were outlawed for a few years starting in 1977. Apparently that had little impact on traffic fatalities in the following years.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traction and skid control should be standard of the Viper just like on the Z06. If you want to disable it, just flick a switch.

I'm sure people will flame me for this one, but many people who buy these cars underestimate what it takes to control it during heavy acceleration.

You just don't see so many of these articles on the Corvette forum and they make 10 times the number of vettes and 3 or 4 times the number Z06s. My guess is they are not better drivers, but the driving aids help keep the car under control.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traction and skid control should be standard of the Viper just like on the Z06. If you want to disable it, just flick a switch.

I'm sure people will flame me for this one, but many people who buy these cars underestimate what it takes to control it during heavy acceleration.

You just don't see so many of these articles on the Corvette forum and they make 10 times the number of vettes and 3 or 4 times the number Z06s. My guess is they are not better drivers, but the driving aids help keep the car under control.

Good point. So let them all buy a Vette.

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was not a member of our region, I found out about this Sunday at our 9-11 Respect Cruise.

I see your from Texas, how did you find out? Are you originally from NJ?

My guess is he was a newbie

RIP

Bobby

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good point. So let them all buy a Vette.
What Chuck said.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456