First 1/4 mile pass in the Viper

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went down to NOPI on Sat just to hang out and be in the "car show". While I was watching some runs, they came over the PA and said anyone entered in the show could come run for free. They pretty much called out everyone in the "exotic" section of the show to get out there. Somehow, my helmet had ended up getting packed for the trip, so I figured what the hell? Something told me I might have a hard time just standing around. :)

Anyway, it was first time down a strip in 16 or 17 years and my first time ever in the Viper. Tires were still at 33 psi, full tank of gas and trunk full of luggage. To run 12 flat at 121 put a nice smile on my face. Managed a .526 off the tree, but a not so good 2.1 60 ft time. I have to admit it was fun to run again, but the Viper isn't going back to the drag strip. I enjoy road courses a lot more, plus I had to convince them that my Autoform roll bar was a real roll bar and if I got under 12.0, I would have been booted anyway. With that 60 ft time, 11's would be pretty damn easy to get into.

I didn't take a lot of pics, but I'm sure Chad did and he'll have them up soon.

Here's the two that I know of. Gotta love that they let me line up against Scott's (VCA GA Pres) new CTS-V and put a little beat-down on him. ;)

Attachments

• drag strip pass.jpg
    drag strip pass.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 128
  • BM6P4930.jpg
    BM6P4930.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't lie. That was in the back of my head. With the built trans and Quaife diff, the half-shafts would definitely be the thing to snap. I left the line really easy and slipped the clutch a good bit.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't lie. That was in the back of my head. With the built trans and Quaife diff, the half-shafts would definitely be the thing to snap. I left the line really easy and slipped the clutch a good bit.
Good man to be careful. Those drag race guys are always breaking stuff, even when their cars are set up for that kind of abuse. Hard launching is just so violent. I had to replace my rear diff cuz of that crap. (not racing, just idiot driving)

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's very cool. I am afraid to try drag racing with the Viper. -don't want to break anything.

I have drag raced most of mt Vipers and to me they were meant to race.......I have only had to replace 1 Clutch and 1 UNITREX half shaft........that can happen in any kind of racing.......The Viper is a really fun car to drag race.....I have had a 1.41 60' with 1 of my Vipers and most have been 1.50s.......I get DIZZY going around in CIRCLES...straight line for me.......:rolleyes: :drive: :D:beer:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice run Scott. 12 flat with no prep and a luggage load is pretty cool. Sorry to have missed the Commerce thing, dang schedule.....

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No circles for me either. I guess technically it does end up being a being a big loop, but lots of lefts and rights in between. ;)

It was a pretty cool event Bob. I had never been to NOPI before and I have to say there was a lot more variety of cars than I was expecting. I was thinking it would be all rice cars with fart can exhausts and body kits, which there were, but I saw quite a bit of classic muscle and modern pony cars. Not to mention some Vipers, a Phantom, Lambo and Aston.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you had some fun. Launching the Viper can get tricky, especially with those stiff springs. I used the same Autoform Roll bar excuse when I took mine to the track. They allowed me to go down to an 11.5 before they asked me to slow down or park it. Despite being in Houston, I guess our track doesn't see too many Vipers or exotics drag racing. My Viper actually made it to their Legal Street Racing snail mail cards.

You must be registered for see images attach

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235