First drive new 02 RAM 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the chance to take part in southern 500 nascar race in Darlington yesterday in which Dodge rolled out the new RAM 1500.We made a lap around the track during driver intros with Dave Blaney driver of the #93 Amaco Dodge.And then brought the truck home to the dealer.all I can say about this truck is WOW.If you are in the market for a new truck this is the truck to have.The truck is powered by a 4.7 v-8 and the new 45RFE trans.traveling on the hwy we avg. 19 MPG running between 65-75 mph.It has a full 4 doors 17 in wheels all new frame,rack in pinion steering.There is no comparing this to even a '01 truck.DC really out did themselves with this truck.The only problem I have with the truck is I have to give it back to my dealer in the morning.

RockStar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you just made up my mind for me. My 99 Sport Quad Cab is due back in June 02. I have been trying to decide what to do. I think I just decided
smile.gif

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they going to offer the diesel soon? The gas powered V8 is way behind the BIG 2 in horsepower and performance. Good looking though. I heard the ride was great except with the optional 20 inch wheels.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To answer a few of the questions:

The diesel will be available for 2003 in the 2500 series Rams.
(We're supposed to start building pilot vehicles of them in December).

The 5.7 Hemi with 320 HP will also be available for 2003 along with a High output 4.7 with 270 HP. (Let the competition chew on that).

There's a fair chance I even drove the truck that you're driving Tom (out of the 9K that we've built so far I've probably driven about half of them at the plant at one time or another).

The ride is drasticly improved over the 2001 (even with the 20 inch wheels). There are some real engineering improvement over the previous model (there are also a few things that made me ask "What were they thinking" also.).

The quality of the paint finish is MUCH better than before. (New paint supplier and system, which was long overdue).

I think most people will will be suprised with the improved quality of the truck.
Now if we can keep management out of the "We want quantity over quality" mindset that they usually have.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 4.7 is not a truck motor and the 45 is not a truck tranny. I'll stick with my 5.9 thank you.Also the tranny seems to have been downgraded from the 46 series.The 47 series is used in the 3/4 and 1 ton.the 46 was used in the 1/2 ton.And the 45 series was for dakota/durango or light jeep vehicles.I beleive the 45 is based on their 904 which was a notorious exploder even when used in cars.Suggest you visit various dodge truck lists like Dirt or alt.auto.dodge truck for better info.Nicer paint etc. do not a truck make. Bruce

OP
OP
T

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 45RFE is a very good unit.Whisch is actually based on the old 41TE trans used in the mini vanonly on a much beefier scale.It started out in the grand cherokee and from a tech point of view I have had to build many,many more 46RE &47RE trans than The number of 45RFE I've have to work on.So at thispoint they have a very good track record.Although it will be interesting to see how it holds up in the new Ram.Based on past history it should do quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.