First time at the track with my new UGR setup

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our track has open test and tune sessions on Wednesday and Friday nights and I'd been dying to get my car to the track, so last night was the night.

The track is closer to my office than to my house, so I got up yesterday morning, put on my suit and tie and just drove the Viper to work. I think I set off a half dozen car alarms while driving through my parking garage. The car sounds wicked cool in a concrete garage.

Towards the end of the day, I changed out of my suit, threw on a pair of jeans and tennis shoes and headed to the track.

I've never driven a car on ET Streets before, so I was very tentative about tire pressure, what RPM to leave at, etc. As such, I started out my making a couple of 1/8 mile passes. I learned pretty quickly that the ET Streets hook much better than Kumhos. I bogged the first couple launches and ran a 1.8 and 1.7 60'. Right at the 1/8 mile, I would stab the brakes to keep from getting booted.

First pass:

60' 1.856

1/4 11.46
MPH 82.36

That seemed to raise some eyebrows.

Let the car cool down and went back out and tried again.

Next pass:

60' 1.733

1/4 11.27
MPH 79.90

Now I've got people surrounding the car when I pull in. A couple of the old timers, who are obviously all too familiar with the NHRA rules, stopped by and joked that I must not have a cage if I'm on the brakes that hard at the 1/8. :) Spent a while answering questions, letting people take pictures of the car, look inside it, sit in it, etc.

One of the local street racing guys came over and asked me if I was going to make a full pass. I told him I was just working on launches and didn't want to get kicked out. He told me the guys in the tower were dying to see what it would do on a full pass and not to worry about running it out the back door.

So I got back in line and made another pass:

You must be registered for see images attach

After that, I was pretty much done for the night. Got back in the car and drove it home.

For a first time at the track with the new setup and new tires, I was pretty happy. You can tell that I wasn't too aggressive on the launch or the shifts. Plus, the DA here sucked last night. It was something like 3250'. I'm positive the car has a 9 second pass in it.

Drove the car to work, drove to the track, and drove home without any issues whatsoever.

Thanks UGR! What an amazing car.

Now that I'm a little more comfortable with it, the next time I'm going to let it rip. :)

V

Venomiss

Very nice and just in time for Dyno Day!!!:2tu:

It's good you got a run in before the tornado comes to visit.....is there any way to get a Viper in the basement?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth