Fix for airbox clips

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I couldn't take it anymore. I tried all of the fixes out there. Smash the clips so they are looser, safety wire etc. I finally broke down and ground down the front retainers for the clips and riveted the pivot points down. I'm pretty sure this will work long term. You can barely see any difference when the box is clipped shut. I seriously doubt anyone will ever notice, I'll dab some black paint on the rivots if it bugs me. I'm sure there is a better way, but this should do the trick.

4355Airbox1-med.jpg

4355Airbox2-med.jpg

4355Airbox3-med.jpg

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain. After having the air box apart multiple times over the last two years - last weekend I finally a one of the lower clips start playing the pivot pop out game. I bent the little pivots and made it worse. Bent them back and as far as I know it is still holding. Rivets sound like a great idea. No reason I can think of for the clips needing to be removable.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The fix is helluva lot simpler than that.
Throw those K&N's where they belong...........the trash.
Replace with S&B's.........problem solved...seriously, it's that simple.

OP
OP
C

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have S&B's. They would not stay put with the original paper filters either. In fact I couldn't keep them clipped together with no filters at all. Who ever designed these things is an a-hole. :rolleyes:

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. The clips would not hold no matter what I did. I like the rivet idea, but I just took the clips off, bought 8 stainless screw of the appropriate length and all is well.

OP
OP
C

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. The clips would not hold no matter what I did. I like the rivet idea, but I just took the clips off, bought 8 stainless screw of the appropriate length and all is well.

What did you mount to? Can you take a pic? I may buy an extra box to play with and try another way.

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What did you mount to? Can you take a pic? I may buy an extra box to play with and try another way.

I just screwed the 2 pieces together putting a screw at each corner. I'd post pics but I can never figure out how. If you want me to e mail you some let me know.

OP
OP
C

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found these in your gallery.

11062airbox_002-med.jpg

11062airbox_001-med.jpg

I was looking at doing the same thing, but didn't you have to drill holes in the air filter gasket too?

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup, I uploaded them last night. Thanks for posting them here. So far so good and the seal tight! I think I hit the filter gasket on a couple, but it really doesn't matter-not going to hurt any thing. It really is a good fix for all you guys who are just tires of the clips flying off. When I pulled my airbox to check the fliters all 4 of the bottom clips were missing and the airbox was cracked open. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how bad that would be if yuou got caught in the rain and some water/dirt got in the engine! Now I don't worry about it at all.