? for the junkman

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife's SRT-4 has road tar spots all over the doors. What is the best (easiest) way to get them off.?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm gonna take a guess and see if I'm right (I'm a grasshopper in training lol), I'd say lots of Adam's detail spray and clay it, am I right AJ?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus 1 on the clay bar with detail spray...I just removed driveway sealer from my rear bumper from the maniac contractor working on my driveway......clay bar is amazing

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife's SRT-4 has road tar spots all over the doors. What is the best (easiest) way to get them off.?

Clay is your friend. :)

I'm gonna take a guess and see if I'm right (I'm a grasshopper in training lol), I'd say lots of Adam's detail spray and clay it, am I right AJ?

You are correct sir! ;)

Probable not right here, but I know WD-40 works great for road tar.

You're right, not correct here.

I would get some proper bug and tar removal product.

That OTC stuff is worthless. Save your money.

Goo Gone is excellent, smells good and isn't too expensive..

Just make sure that you use the AUTOMOTIVE formula. There are two formulas and the other is not paint friendly from what I remember.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probable not right here, but I know WD-40 works great for road tar.

It's always worked for me in a pinch (unless you have alot of tar)but you will need to re-wax wherever you use it . This stuff can be used for lots of things, but be careful on your cars paint, like on any of them test a small spot first. Definitely cheaper than some of those Over-Priced detailer sprays.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's always worked for me in a pinch (unless you have alot of tar)but you will need to re-wax wherever you use it . This stuff can be used for lots of things, but be careful on your cars paint, like on any of them test a small spot first. Definitely cheaper than some of those Over-Priced detailer sprays.

The detailer sprays are not going to do anything for road tar. That's when you need something like Goo Gone. It is SAFE for your paint so you don't have to worry about using it. At $1.79, it's much cheaper than WD-40 at $7.00 a can.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Clay will definitely remove heavy stubborn stuff, but I usually throw the clay out after heavy stuff. I break off a really small piece so I don't waste too much.

I also use Adam's Waterless Wash to remove tar and other dirt. It works really well on bug guts and bird poo.

I used WW to remove all this tar off a Ford GT. I sprayed all the tar and let it soak till it dried. Then re-sprayed it and wiped it off with a waffled microfiber towel.

You must be registered for see images

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, for tar I would use a good bug and tar remover on a mf cloth. Sometime a good cleaner wax will remove smaller spots. When in a "pinch" you can also use kerosene.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried tarminator?

Yes I have. As a matter of fact, I have tried a bunch of OTC stuff that claimed to do all kinds of things just to prove that they are worthless (not all of them, most of them). Now I will say this, your success totally depends on how much tar we are talking about as everyone here may be imagining a different amount of tar (since no picture has been offered). If we are talking about this much tar:

... then you could use just about any kind of liquid to get it off. The damage to your paint may vary depending on your technique. Now if we are talking about something like this:

You are definitely going to need something like Goo Gone or better yet, 3M Adhesive Remover. It totally depends on how much tar we are talking about but Goo Gone Automotive Formula and the 3M product are both safe for your paint. A lot of your success depends on how soon you address the problem. Allowing it to sit on the paint for weeks will definitely affect your success. Whether or not your paint has wax on it will also affect the outcome.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used the Honda Clean and Polish spray (leftover from my motorcycling days) and it has always done a great job removing tar, bugs, you name it. I'm not sure that is made anymore, but give it a try if you find some.

Otherwise, a belt sander will do a fabulous job remove anything and everything on the exterior of your car. ;)

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Our racecar gets coated with rubber on the rear. I keep a bottle of Waterless Wash in the rig and it wipes the rubber right off.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Believe it or not, rubber comes off paint pretty easily. best to get as much off dry as possible. WD40 and Breakclean work well on bare metal, like wheelie bars, but turn the rubber into slime.

They should be able to peal most of that off once it's cool, then use Waterless Wash to remove the small balls of rubber.

It's part of the ruitine in our pit! We have to scrape the layers of rubber out of the wheel wells every weekend.

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I got the SRT-4 away from my wife. So I'll try the clay bar on it. I'll give an up date.

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Junkman is right the clay bar does the job. Is it easy.? no, it takes some elbow grease. The paint was in need of a cleaning with the clay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456