For those that had driven a Gen V at VOI

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did SRT do away with the lag caused by the drive by wire, or does it still feel like a Gen IV?

There has been references to "cutting the delay in half" and such, but I would like to hear from people who had enough seat time to really give a good opinion on this.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Digging up memories of the gen 4 convertable from VOI 11 and the Pebble Beach unveiling gen 5 a few weeks ago I can say that I felt a noticeable difference in that the throttle response felt sharper and more immediate, so yes I would say that the "cutting the delay in half" comment has at least some truth to it.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea...GEN V certainly seemed quicker on the throttle response. Made me put a deposit down on one. The car is just absolutely stunning in person.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent some time as a passenger with Dick Wilkens behind the wheel and he made a point of addressing this issue. He illustrated how the problem had been corrected by way of downshifting several times and pointing to the tachometer: the tach did not fall dramatically between shifts. The fact that he brought it up unsolicited, makes me believe that this problem has been resolved.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the 1st thing I asked about when I got in the yellow track pack car. I sat & blipped the throttle many times (Ryan teased me afterwards in fact for sitting there for 5 mins revving the car, lol) to compare to my Gen4. He explained that the delay has been halved from around 450ms to 250ms, and that with all the electronics and safety stuff they have to deal with there's no way to get it to be zero, but they made a concerted effort to improve this and they did. IMO on a gen4 the delay isn't that big of an issue, I know some guys talk like it's undriveable, I found that I complained a bit at first and then after just a bit of time in my gen4 that I didn't even think of it. In the gen5 I'm certain this "delay" is no issue. It felt great to me, everything about it, shifter is like an MGW equiped car, it had a real "tight" sense to the whole car and the throttle is part of that. So, if by fixed we mean a non-issue, than IMO it's defintiely fixed. If by fixed we mean zero delay, then no, there is a 250ms delay that my engineer with me said is the minimum they could achieve .. and IMO again, is a non-issue.

Hope that helps.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soooooooooo...why can't this be addressed in the Gen IV now?

A marketing guy at SRT would probably say - it can be fixed on the Gen4 with a simple upgrade .. to a gen5. lol

I guess it depends on how they improved it, if it can be a code / flash fix or not. I didn't ask the engineer what they did, just what were the results. But we're heading into 2013 and no tuning or flash options on gen4's from 2008 ... I'm not holding my breath. Sure would be nice to see SRT upgrades for the gen4 like they're planning on the gen5.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't feel like the lag is all that great on the Gen IV.... that being said, the Gen V is better.

However..... I thought the tac was lagging slightly. Maybe one of those things they are ironing out.

The car is amazing. Steering is more responsive, the gearbox is less military dockyard like... nice improvements there.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
compared to first three Gens it is huge!

I don't feel like the lag is all that great on the Gen IV.... that being said, the Gen V is better.

However..... I thought the tac was lagging slightly. Maybe one of those things they are ironing out.

The car is amazing. Steering is more responsive, the gearbox is less military dockyard like... nice improvements there.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
OK - so I gotta call bs. Not sure how babying the test mules ...... I mean "Driving" the Gen 5 for 200 ft, turning around, and driving back for 200 ft would give any real world experience or any real "feel" for how the throttle response was, how it shifted, or how it really handled. Interior was certainly a huge upgrade and felt a lot bigger inside than my Gen 4. Somehow I felt less connected to it and felt it was short in the "rawness department" of the Viper. Just my 2 cents......

As a disclaimer - my comparison to a stock Gen 4 may not be accurate as my Gen 4 has head work, intake, exhaust, Mopar PCM, and KW shocks - also consider that all of my Vipers have been and will be convertibles - so the whole coupe thing felt different. The sneak peak of the convertible did get my blood going though - and I also feel that the paint color and stripe schemes completely change the look of the Gen 5.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets