Found Viper, Need Advice

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been shopping for a GEN I or II (love the original style best) and saw a 1994 car today. Its black with grey interior. It is rolling on '97 wheels, but originals are in the garage and come with the car. Pretty good shape, not perfect as it has very minor chips and lite scratches. Has custom Bellinger Exhaust, K&N air flow kit and heads have been ported & polished. The underside of the front bumper has scraps from pavement, but the front is not damaged. Looking underneath the car, it looks like the tranny is a little wet with oil. It is a second owner car with 22K miles. Could there be a trans seal leaking or a leaky main seal? Is there anything I should be aware of if I see this oil? Have these cars been know to leak around the tranny or main engine seal area? Are there things I should be specifically looking for that were problematic for this year? Also, how does the VIN# check on this site work? Do they just look up Vipers that have registered with this site or is it a nation wide search for information? :confused:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You best bet is to start with a Carfax(only a starting point), then have your friendly neighborhood Dodge dealer run the VIN through their computer for recalls and such. Have it checked by a knowledgeable Viper tech. Where is the car located?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck Tator can tell you the DC history. And give you sound advice. If you see any type of fluid, its leaking. Believe me. I've spent half the winter under mine. No fluid anywhere.

OP
OP
R

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is located in New Jersey. It has had 4 owners previous. Car fax came back okay, but I never believe them. 1st owner in Pennsylvannia until 01/03, 2nd owner bought 01/03 from Ohio, 3rd owner bought in 12/03 in Virginia and 4th bought in 03/05 in New Jersey. I also was recommended to use Chuck Tator by another Member as well. Will he do a search of the VIN # for me over the phone? His shop is about 1-1.5hrs from where I live. Is this uncommon to have so many owers over a 12 year period? The car also may have been repainted as its missing the side emblems. I looked real close and can tell where some sanding was done in the rear of the roof line, but all the body panels seem to line up.

93VIPERBOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck is Great, Give him a call he will tell you the truth.
His dealership is worth the trip. You will always see a bunch of Vipers in for service.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I am with you on the carfax thing

it's good to run it, but it doesn't tell the whole story

good luck on your purchase