Fram vs. Mopar air filters..Any problems??

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott was talking about air filters,not oil filters.
I read a lot about the poor quality of Fram oil filter,not air filter.
Also I doubt that Dodge manufacture their own air filters and consequently when you are buying a Dodge filter you are really buying another brand.

On the K&N,I disagree with Matt statement "better filtration"
K&N do indeed flow better but than regular filters but doesn't "filter" as well.
It is a trade off between flow and filtration.
Luc.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air Filters (not Oil) - ah nevermind.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Scott J on 09-19-2001 at 02:40 PM</font>

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amsoil filters are lifetime. Wash em, oil em, and put em back in. They flow as much as the K&N, trap more dirt, and cost about $20 each.

Steve

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luc--I really don't want to start a war over this..but....it was a post like this awhile back that caused some of us to contact K&N directly. Their filters do indeed filter out smaller particles than a paper filter, while still allowing much better flow. DC puts 'em on every ACR, claiming 10 HP improvement (with hoses) and they surely would not install them at the plant if they did not filter out potentially dangerous particles.

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,I hope that you are right since I use K&N on all my cars,trucks and bikes.
But since K&N cannot be very unbiased on this subject, the best proof will be some comparatif data/test from a independant lab.

What surprise me is that K&N never made the claim that they filters "filter' better,just that they flow better and last longer.

luc.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would guess marketing deals with K&N and Mobil 1 are the only reason these products are used in Vipers. There are other products which will perform as well or better.

Steve

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
More regarding my AIR filter dilema....
The Mopar and Fram AIR filters look almost identical...the Fram was made in Mexico, Mopar was made in USA, the Mopar one also was "sticky" on the foam part, the Fram one was not.
I assume the sticky stuff would be there a attract dirt, but would it attract too much? Also does any one know who makes the filters for Mopar??
Just wondering..
Cheers,

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am usually all for using Genuine parts, me being a New car dealer parts manager and all (not DC), so I ordered a pair of air filters from my buddies at the Dodge dealer across the street.
To my surprise the pair listed for $125.00, they gave me a break but it was still over $85.00, Im not rich so that was a lot to me.
So then I ordered a pair of Fram filters from the parts house we use and they were only $30.00 for the pair......
Should I use these????
ps. I fixed the gap on my hood last night...thanks
Cheers,

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we are talking about air filters...go for K&Ns. About $70 for the pair, and they will outlast the car. Better airflow, better filtration. Oil filters..Mobil 1. AutoZone and some KMarts sell these.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding K&N installed by DC.

I believe in the maintenance schedule, if you have the K&N, you HAVE to use the SEVERE DUTY schedule!

I think there is no free lunch with filtration.

You increase flow by either increasing area or decreasing filtration.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I aggree with Bryan,"there's no free lunch when it comes to air filters." But not a sacrifice in filtration. Maybee in cost of the better filters and the slight increase in "hiss" noise. Loffted paper filters are inferior in every way exept that they are quieter and cheaper. The dustiest enviorment in the world is at a moto cross race, and they use oil wetted foam on all of them. K&N, Amsoil and the new S&B that Sean Roe sells for allmost half the price of K&N are all great filters. Loffted paper is proven to be very restictive compared to the others. As far as filtration they are all OK since most Viper Owners do not drive very many miles, and never in extremly dusty conditions. Check out the Archives on this and there is plenty of info on the subject.
Skip White

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave