Franken-haust

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have read most (all?) threads about GenII exhausts mods.

Any thoughts on modding stock exhaust on an 02 R/T 10 as follows: HF cats, stock resonator, and muffler delete (muffler delete ala Dave6666, pre-side exhaust, pic here: http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/617045-random-tech-gts-muffler-delete-2.html )?:dunno:

I am after sound, cooler sills, and $avings, though sills much cooler since Roe SCT Tune. The main issue is keeping the stock resonators (again for cost reasons). Anyone heard setup like this or have a sound clip? Car is stock except for the tune & K&N’s. Want to end up with a loud refined:omg: sound appropriate for the car.

Thanks for any input.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have read most (all?) threads about GenII exhausts mods........Any thoughts on modding stock exhaust on an 02 R/T 10 as follows: HF cats, stock resonator, and muffler delete ..........
I am after sound, cooler sills, and $avings,......Car is stock except for the tune & K&N’s. Want to end up with a loud refined:omg: sound appropriate for the car.

thanks for any input.

back in June 1996, there were NO CATBACKS for Gen 2 cars. I had my GTS for 3 days and did EXACTLY what you suggest: I dropped the rear 2-1-2 (truck) muffler and replaced it with an H pipe at my local muffler shop. $125. Shortly after I dropped the OE cats for 2 HF universal RT cats. Kept the OE resonators and pipes. I liked the coolness, the loudness, but REFINED? HELLL NO! It was a bit ratty. It was droney and resonance was AWEFUL at 2200--2800 RPM. Thankfully, the 96 CAM was worth the UNREFINED sound. Lumpita-Lumpita-Lumpita.......

OP
OP
E

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank y'all for the input. This shade tree approach (on the cheap and at home, but mucho satisfaction) works for me now. Experience based comments most helpful and appreciated.

Dave, those bullets look good (thanks for the model and price info), will probably use 2 1/2 inchers

JonB, “It was a bit ratty. It was droney and resonance was AWEFUL at 2200--2800 RPM,” exactly the warning I was looking for. Imho a lumpy cam sounds best thru UNREFINED pipes (are they still called glass packs?)

GTS Bruce: Recently found out JonB has gently used parts, will check what he has before any Viper purchase from now on.

Thanks Again

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank y'all for the input. This shade tree approach (on the cheap and at home, but mucho satisfaction) works for me now. Experience based comments most helpful and appreciated.

On your rear muffler delete (the redneck pipe mod...) I would do as much of the welding as you can in place, but then drop it down to finish and/or inspect the top. Mine ended up with a hole in it and Rev 1 made it purdy and tight.

This is that area I'm talking about. First pass was MIG on the car. Second pass was TIG on the workbench.

You must be registered for see images

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HF cats, stock resonator, and muffler delete

was my exact setup for the first 4 years or so. but i bought the RT x pipe muffler delete from JonB and loved the sound and the sills were a lot cooler. not as cool as they are now without cats, but very decent

OP
OP
E

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would do as much of the welding as you can in place

Must have read my mind as i was going to try to match it on the garage floor 1st. (no lift yet and hate the burn hot metal leaves on my chest working off back)

is the short piece of pipe an "H" pipe or support?

thanks again

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must have read my mind as i was going to try to match it on the garage floor 1st. (no lift yet and hate the burn hot metal leaves on my chest working off back)

is the short piece of pipe an "H" pipe or support?

thanks again

The only problem with doing it off the car will be the fact the where it exits the rear fascia is 2 big tips and only one slightly larger hole. Your fitment skills will need to be superb.

The small pipe right by the bracket is a Corsa factory piece. Seeing as the bracket could be considered the brace, I will assume the pipe is a crossover of sorts. Don't remember for sure, but maybe someone with more immense knowledge of Corsa will chime in.

Don't weld and not drink! :beer:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets