Front Tire Choice

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion or experience on using non-Michelin tires? I've noticed that the Kumho, Nitto, and Yokohama are about 40% cheaper, and that's a bit more palatable for tires that I'm going to abuse the heck out of anyway. I need a tire that I can use for for some street use, but won't worry about too much if I melt or flat-spot them during afternoon lapping sessions. If there's a big difference that's one thing, but if the other brands are good then it's much easier not to cry over ruining a $190 tire vs. a $320 tire.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Andy,
I don't think you'll go wrong with any off those brands. There is another thread saying the Kumho's might even grab better due to the wear rating. I have a set of the pzero's on my car a they hold the road real nice.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mike

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a preference between the 3 alternatives?

Does one of these alternatives match better with the michelins?
ex: rears = pilots, fronts = alternative.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am actually due for a set of tires all the way around. 21,000 miles in every venue offered by VOI, and the originals are finally destined for the "Wall of Fame" at the local go-kart track (they begged me for them). I do not want to spend $1300 for new tires, but don't know if I have any choices in 18". Of course I want to retain the adhesion and reliability of the Pilots, which may limit me even more. Rumor is that you can buy tires for less at a Viper Days event. Any truth to that? If so, I may wait until May and see about changing them there...

Chris

P.S. to Bugeater: You will hear from almost EVERYBODY not to "mix-and-match" your tires, especially with different brands. Do a search on "tires" and you will see what I mean...

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, yes, I know. However, I think that after I get my current fronts shaved then I'm going to get maybe 2 more track days before I need to worry about replacing the fronts, and I'd like to get a cheaper set to burn out before the final Viper Days in September.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets