Fuel Pump - any ideas?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, here is your challenge....

Fuel pump went out on Henry's race car. It's a Walbro pump. No one could cross reference the part number. Talked to Walbro - they sell this as part of the assembly - supposedly a stock Viper fuel pump module.

The part number ON the pump can't be located by Dodge. (4848563)

A new fuel pump module is over $400 and contains the pump, pressure regulator, sending unit, etc - all of which I don't need.

Any ideas about a stock replacement pump ONLY? Going prices on these pumps seem to be under $120, so I am, willing to be a little creative. :)

OP
OP
Janni

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guessing that if I could match the connector, flow rate, size, etc., I could cross reference. Tom Sessions will be here later and I'll glom some free advice off him, but thought that someone may have already crossed this pump to a less costly alternative that buying the whole darn module then throwing away parts.

I spoke again to the manufacturer, and since it is manufactured by their OEM division, she doesn't even have the specifications, nor can she get them. Amazing.

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed my fuel lines, tank, regulator and pump in my 1994 RT/10 with 12,000 miles on it. The fuel system was in perfect working condition. I am making a drag car with it and replaced the stock fuel system with a fuel cell and a Aeromotive external pump/regulator. Let me know if you need any of the parts I have left over.

OP
OP
Janni

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks folks - the optional Walbro 255 lph's may be reasonable for us to do since we have an external fuel pressure regulator (and since we don't have this thing as part of a fuel pump module)

It's my understanding that a stock pump flows significantly less than 255 lph, so this is overkill, but should work.

Will keep you all posted on what we end up doing.

Thanks again.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it just the wiring connector you need to match?

I don't know exactly what the Viper pump looks like, but have used a few Walbro GSS341s for Toyotas and Lexuses. Good intank pump, and the "high pressure" version flows even better. Sometimes they whine a bit though, but I hear MVP Motorsports in Florida has some foam sheet to wrap around them that cuts this right down.

They are cheap at about $100, and very very good.

Here are some pictures of the Walbro up close (the Denso pump is the stock Supra, the Walbro has the nice clean white filter on it): http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/denso_vs_walbro/index.html

Chances are you can make it fit the hoses etc for a few bucks, and hold it in with a hose clamp or something.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni:

The 255 is a difficult install, the connector is the least of the issues (you do have to reverse the crimp connectors in the external plug). The mounting height is the problem. The correct way to do it would be to have a neoprene spacer machined and placed below the 255. This would locate it vertically and horizontally. For information purposes, both units have the regulator built into the pump.

One of the biggest tricks is opening the bottle, two long small screwdrivers and a lot of dexterity is the key. If someone wants to send me their complete bottle assembly, I will have a spacer made to make the 255 an almost straightforward install, this way everyone would have access to a nice upgrade.

OP
OP
Janni

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, guys.

Here's what we ended up doing - took the easy way out and called Doug Levin who had a stock fuel pump around!

Since the pump was stock that came out of it, and it's flow rate is significantly less than the 255 lph, we figured we ought to just stick with that. We could probably do a 255 lph, since we have a different pressure regulator in the fuel cell setup, but decided against it. I am sure it is quite involved changing that in a stock setup - as you have the entire module to reconfigure - as Jack B says.

The fuel pump is pretty much naked down in the fuel cell - only thing it goes into is a smaller fuel cell type container with flapper doors to prevent fuel starvation in hard cornering. There is nothing else - no complete fuel module, so it should be a fast plug in replacement.

I'd hate to have to change it out in a stock tank / configuration - my guess is that anything to do with fuel is a PITA based on the tank location, the module itself, etc.

Thanks again for all the help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456