Gear lever broke (and shifters)

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rubber bush in the lower lever gave way (probably after having been turned too much)and the lever flopped. So I cut that section out and brazed it up leaving a shorter lever which shifts much better. However levers take a lot of abuse and I'm not confident of my brazings longevity. I also quite like the longer lever but with a shorter travel. I'm sure this has been covered before but should I change to a shorter shifter such as BM. Has anyone had a really positive result worthy of spending $300-$400 instead of the $20- $30 for a replacement "thing" for the rubber bush?

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Paul L changed to a B&M in his RT and spoke highly of it.
By the way does your viper have the Janspeed ceramic coated exhaust?

OP
OP
J

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Neil, Unfortunately the janspeed is gone and replaced with the standard exhaust which for some reason reminds me of the sound of an MGB! I'll be fixing that really soon!

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joel,

There are several people who can sell you a new machined part to replace what you broke. Many people have replaced it just to shorten the length and/or eliminate the "soft" feel intruduced my the rubber section.

I think David Title has some and I know there was someone else as well on this board. If you can't find one send me Email as I have an extra one you could have...

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joel, it's called an isolator. Believe me, it's not a $30 part. At least $100 from Dodge! It's very common. Did one yesterday! Call Rich Detert? I think he has a solid replacement piece.dj

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Joel,
I produce a replacement shifter shaft for the Viper that eliminates the rubber bushing which comes apart with age and causes sloppiness in the shifter.

I've got a website with info, here's a link to it.
Rich's Shifter Parts

You can e-mail me at
[email protected]

I've register a domain name and am in the process of building a website for all my Viper (and other car) pics and shifter parts and other stuff. I've been using free sites and thought it was time to take the plunge and put all my stuff at one site.

I'll post more about it when it's up and running. Now if I can just find more hours in the day, I've been working 10 hour days at work (Daimler Chrysler, building the New 2002 Ram Trucks) and that leaves very little time for much else.

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joel:
... the standard exhaust ... reminds me of the sound of an MGB!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People look at me so funny when I tell them this. At last someone who understands!