GEN 1 and MSD Fuel Pump Voltage Booster wiring????

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done wiring for a MSD Fuel Pump Voltage Booster on a GEN1?

I have Roe blower with 8lbs pulley and will later run NX on top of it. I can see a 10lbs pulley later on too.
The wiring instructions from Roe are for a GEN2 and they do not have wiring for a GEN1...

I would like to set it so that it would activate at 6-8lbs of boost.
(Basically be safer while on boost and especially if I spray 100HP shot...)

Any ideas?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether it is Gen 1 or 2, you must interrupt the fuel pump wires after the relay. They are located in the drivers wheel well, remove the inside well skin and the access is immediately behind the well skin.

The Gen 2 has a problem with setting a code unless you pick up the power off of the starter, in other words don't power it off of the PCM power terminal. The Gen 1 may or may not have the same issue.

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone???

What wire is the booster cut into on the PCM?

The ROE wiring instructions for GEN2 explains the pin number on a GEN2, but not WHAT that wire is, so that I could cross reference it to GEN1... :curse:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you only want it running when boost is up, then you can power it from almost any key-on source, no? Ground it and feed the power from the switch that will sense the 6-8 lbs boost.

Jack is referring to the fuel pump relay. The relay always has 12V from a 14 gauge wire direct from battery. The relay is engaged when a) the key-on position provides 12V leading to the coil AND b) when the PCM grounds the downstream wire to complete the circuit.

Here is the service manual page for the relay. The K51 PCM ground is pin 51 in the PCM, the A21 key-on source is pin 9 in the PCM. Ground is at pin 11 or 12 or any metal. You have a choice to wire this at the PCM or in the trunk - these wires are easily accessible back there.

186Document_2_-med.jpg

(warning - thread hijack...)

I know because I have a delay timer relay to extend the pump run time upon key-on as a fix for bad check valves that allow the gasoline to drain back into the fuel tank. The fix hugely shortens your restart since normally the pump cycles on and off while you crank.

(returning to topic...)

I don't know how they work, but thought the booster increases voltage to the pump to run it faster. Therefore you'll need to use the 12V supply wire to the pump (14 RD/WT*) also?