Gen 1 coolant hose warning

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a temperature gauge that read too low and finally resulted in a jumpy needle, so I decided to replace the sensor (it was broken) and change the coolant. While doing so, I noticed the hose from the water pump to the passenger side metal tube had been worn to the cords by flexing upwards at least an inch (bumpy roads?!) and rubbing on the bottom of the tensioner pulley. From a quick visual check you would never expect contact, but it does rub.

Take a look to avoid a nasty surprise, and while you're under the hood, check the heater core hoses as the pass under the cowl - they rub on the back of the rocker cover, on the cable for the heater valve, on the cowl support and more.

PS The hose is called "HOSE, By-Pass Tube to Water Pump" and the parts listing shows a Gen 2 system, even in the Gen 1 catalog, and even at the local Dodge dealer.

PPS The OEM temperature sensor takes a 1/2" deep socket, the new one takes a 14mm socket.

PPPS To change the sensor, get someone with small hands.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another note:

One of the heater hoses may also rub on the stud the secures the airbox. You may have to lift the hoses up a bit to see it. It's pretty tight in that corner.

- Cheers

Last edited:

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, I just checked mine before going on a GORGEOUS Sunday drive with the wife, damn I love this car!!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"GORGEOUS Sunday drive with the wife, damn I love this car!!!"

He probably MEANT to say..."Sunday drive with the GORGEOUS Wife, damn I love Her...and the car's OK"...at least, if he wants to live a little longer!!!!! :)

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"GORGEOUS Sunday drive with the wife, damn I love this car!!!"

He probably MEANT to say..."Sunday drive with the GORGEOUS Wife, damn I love Her...and the car's OK"...at least, if he wants to live a little longer!!!!! :)

HAHAHA :2tu: