Gen 2 doors on a Gen 1.. Yes you can!

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I love that my 95 doesn't have windows, but at the same time, I hate "clip in" windows. There is zero info out there about bolting gen 2 doors to a gen 1, so I figured I'd do the fact finding for anyone wanting to do the swap.

Today I bolted up the passengers door with no problem. Door bolts on, closes and lines up with all the body panels. (well, almost, I didn't do any serious adjustments yet)

You must be registered for see images attach

Issues that I have to address/fix.

1) Wiring for the door handles (electric, not mechanical), windows, etc.
2) Window is probably 2" away from the windshield surround.

3) Gen 1 sports bar pad is too narrow and won't fit anymore since the rear door stantions are taller on the gen 2 doors than the gen 1's.
4) My Mach 7 3 piece top doesn't mate up to the gen 2 doors.

I can't even close the door, but since the top is made out of body fill and fiberglass, I can easily redesign the edges to follow the door and reapply the weather strip after.

I'm sure the purists are having a kitten right now, but this is just driving the price of your cars up. :)

P.S. No I shouldn't have just sold my car and bought one with windows! Who would want to buy an ol twin turbo Gen 1 anyway?

ront/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That seems like a worthwhile project, if you can get the bugs worked out. I think your onto something there!

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to try this for years.... glad someone finally tried it and proved it can work! I am really surprised the window is that far away from the windshield frame..... If you were in the U.S. you would also have to figure out your seatbelts.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be shocked if this hasn't at least been tried by someone before. The window gap looks smaller in pics and I am sure even with the gap it would have a better fit than the original drop ins.:lmao: I look foward to seeing your progress.:eater:

Reaction score
This procedure has been done before.

Here's what you can try that may fill the window gap. Order a window pillar gasket for a 1996 R/T10. It will fill most of the gap if not all of it.
Remember, it must be for a 1996 R/T. The gasket is not cheap.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's what you can try that may fill the window gap. Order a window pillar gasket for a 1996 R/T10. It will fill most of the gap if not all of it.

Good Luck!

Thanks, but I'm hoping to source the same weather strip that the mach 7 top uses, as it should be reasonably priced and will match the look of the top. I haven't decided weather I want to make the weather strip on the windshield surround permanent or have it removable with the top.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to try this for years.... glad someone finally tried it and proved it can work! I am really surprised the window is that far away from the windshield frame..... If you were in the U.S. you would also have to figure out your seatbelts.

I imported my '94 from Canada. The US model '94 has seatbelts that roll up in the door; the Canadian model has seatbelts like an airbag car. All the threaded holes were there; need to get the panel behind the seats with openings for belts (or cut your own) and inner door trim without the holes (or fill them.) Canadian belts roll up over the inside shoulder and latch next to the door. May be costly for parts, but is easy swap.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm hoping to source the same weather strip that the mach 7 top uses, as it should be reasonably priced and will match the look of the top. I haven't decided weather I want to make the weather strip on the windshield surround permanent or have it removable with the top.

Attaching the weather strip to the removable top instead of the windshield gets my vote. I once had a 1995 Mustang GT convertible. The weatherstrip was attached to the windshield surround from the factory. The weatherstrip flapped around when the top was down untill it eventually separated. The dealership reglued it and was fine after but I still would have thought it to be smarter if the strip was attached to the top.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good Luck!

So if you have a 96 RT you are suggesting the fit would be much better?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen 3 others try it...but it was poorly documented/executed and results were not very worthy of a Viper :( However, it looks like you are on the right track...that is the 1 thing that I sometimes wish the Gen 1's had...were windows that could roll up...vs. having to pull over each time you need to make a phone call and need it quieter, etc.

Looking forward to your progress!!!

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a much easier way to modding your car, just sell it and buy a gen 2:omg: after all you gen1 guys end up putting gen2 hoods, gen2 wheels, gen2..................................

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry it's been a while, but I've been messing around with a bunch of other stuff. I finally got the minor body work done on the doors and got them bolted on. I still don't have window regulators or door panels. I painted just the doors before putting them on, and I knew I should have blended at least into the quarter panels. They are off a bit, so I will probably repaint this winter.

I have the outside door handles wired with just a simple relay, since I assume that the micro switch inside the door button will not handle the current of the latch solenoid. I have a bracket made up so I can lock the windows all the way up for now if I want, and some make-shift weather strip. I want to find the same weather strip used on the Mach 7 top, but I can't for the life of me find any. I should call them, maybe they wouldn't mind selling me some.

I had to do extensive modifications to the top, but it is far from done. The fall is here and the weather is cooling down. I only have about 6 more weeks of driving the car, so I just wanted to get something together to keep the cold out.

Anyhow, here is how it sits now. I'm torn weather or not to paint the top yellow, or repaint it black.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II RT/10's look weird with the color matching hard top on. Black looks better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62