gen 4 or gen 3 hood?

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the looks of the gen 4 hood viewed from the outside much better than the gen 3 hood. I have a gen 4 hood coming for my gen 3 coupe. After driving the gen 3 for a while I have decided that I like the look of the gen 3 hood better from the inside looking out!!!!

Quandry?

Are there benefits to the gen 4 hood over the gen 3 besides looks?

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said ...lol ! Enhances cooling and adds some down force at windshield base . :) I have the Gen 4 hood and love it !

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with you the gen4 from the outside gen3 from the inside... I had my first ride in a gen4 not that long ago and I remarked to my girlfriend that I like the look of my hood better from inside the car... And I spend way more time driving mine than standing next to it anyway.

That said, if you're looking for function over appearance then go for the 4

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there benefits to the gen 4 hood over the gen 3 besides looks?
With the original hood there is a lot of heat that rolls into the cab with the top down and windows down. It's still there with the Gen 4 hood but not nearly as bad.

Gen 3 hood was a lot easier to wash imo.

OP
OP
C

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an oem gen 4 hood from "he who cannot be named". I was pondering a cf hood but he convinced me that oem would be better.

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen IV hood hands down. I don't think I've ever seen a person with a Gen IV hood go back to Gen III hood, so this is a first for me.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We switched to a Gen 4 hood and like the looks much more from inside and out. Went OEM from VPA and skipped the silencer/insulator. Heard about an aftermarket hood flipping off and over a Viper at speed in Europe and it wasn't a risk worth taking to us. Blower sounds better too!

Reaction score
Yes there is a difference, the Gen4 is a bit taller opening so more air is available to the Gen4 air box creating positive pressure at speed, this is why we recommend sticking with the factory engineered air box and filter element over anything aftermarket. That said the Gen4 hood on a Gen3 car will not act the same as the Gen4/Gen4 setup.

Is there a difference in they way the air box seals to the hood, or has anyone ever look at that?

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with you the gen4 from the outside gen3 from the inside... I had my first ride in a gen4 not that long ago and I remarked to my girlfriend that I like the look of my hood better from inside the car... And I spend way more time driving mine than standing next to it anyway.

That said, if you're looking for function over appearance then go for the 4

Never drove a Gen 3, but love my Gen 4. So I guess ingnorance is bliss for me. I do drive my car a lot, but I have to say I do spend a lot of time just looking at the car and pictures of it.

Gen 4 good for sure!!

-Tim

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Carnival Ride.....Natchez Trace Nashville, TN 11/21/2012 I Vote Gen4

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang... I want to buy a Gen 4 hood looks great from inside and outside.... sell me your hood.... if it's GTS blue....that's even better!

OP
OP
C

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going ahead and put the gen 4 hood on the car. It looks better from the outside and has additional benefits in cooling the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456