Gen II ACR suspension question

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I use Eibach lowering springs and lowering caps with the stock ACR DS shocks? Minus a realignment, are there any issues I need to be aware of? Trying to find an alternatives to lower the car a bit for cosmetics (nice 4x4, I know...), but don't want to lose too much of the stock handling characteristics before I get to know the cars initial "stock" handling limits.

Thanks,
Pete

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe you can Eibach's on a DS setup. They are totally different than the reg. Koni's. You can lower the car by simply adjusting your coilover's. I also have a pair of rear 800lb springs for sale for the DS setup that you could install and remove your 1100lb springs. Should smooth out your ride quite a bit.

OP
OP
O

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MTGTS,

Thanks for the info, and I'll let you know about the rear springs. Picking the car up in Cali this weekend, and the 700 mile ride should make it clear if the 1000lb rear springs are gonna be too much. I do plan on lowering the DS setup, but I understood it was limited to about 1".

Thanks,
Pete

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than dimensional sizes, as a rule of thumb, a 25% change in spring rate will require that the damper is retuned internally to be compatible for compression and rebound adjustments.
Regards,
Mike

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Olddudesrule,

If you have the OE Dynamic shocks and OE springs, you can lower the car by adjusting the spring perches on the threaded shock body. You won't need new springs.

These shocks are also adjustable for compression and rebound, so no re-valving is necessary.

Dan

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete,
I did the change from the stock rear 1100 pound springs to the 800 pound springs. It is a definite improvement !!!

OP
OP
O

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and advise. I guess I'll get a better feel for the rear spring rate after getting the car home next week.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1100lbs is probably too stiff even for a racetrack unless its a billiard table. Then again if its a billiard table you don't need springs, shocks, FIRS or rear IRS. Just a go cart suspension will do. GTS Bruce

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The internal valving (for the rear) is tuned for the 1100 lb/in rate springs, changing to 800 lb/in should be ok (borderline) but not ideal. Adjustable valving is designed for +/- adjustment at the given setup / rate. Check to see if there are helper / secondary springs (under the primary spring) to accommodate the extra droop (extended) clearance you'll be creating when increasing the spring height distance (i.e. there's a free length of the primary spring). The stock springs that was supplied with the dampers are blue, by Hyperco. I have access to the part numbers at work if needed.

If you have any specific technical questions about your DS dampers, feel free to shoot me a PM. I do work beside the fellow (in our office) who actually designed your DS dampers back then.. always glad to help. We still have some misc. parts lying around, as I have sent some of those ACR DS adjustment tools to VCA members in the past who didn't have one.. here's a couple past Posts, the types of deals I can offer in exchange (i.e. not money)..

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...tripple-v-thanks-our-sweet-acr-tool-deal.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/616935-dog-has-no-nutz.html

Now we're just waiting for MTGTS to sort out some decisions.. he already sent us chocolate!!

Best regards,
Mike

Last edited:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now we're just waiting for MTGTS to sort out some decisions.. he already sent us chocolate!!

It looks like I'll be buying a Penske setup. That's why I offered my 800lb springs to Olddude. They are the blue Hypercoil ones that I bought in anticipation of receiving my DS setup. You know how that turned out...

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be buying a Penske setup. That's why I offered my 800lb springs to Olddude. They are the blue Hypercoil ones that I bought in anticipation of receiving my DS setup. You know how that turned out...

It's unfortunate you didn't get the correct or expected DS dampers from the seller. It sounds like it's the way to go in the end.

If anyone is planning to buy a set of used DS dampers, etc.. needing info, misc parts, feel free to let me know, always glad to help and support VCA members. We don't have complete sets available (just leftover parts in storage), but JonB / PartsRack does.

Regards,
Mike

OP
OP
O

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, just got back on Tuesday night from a 13 hour run from San Franciso to Chandler, AZ in the new (to me) Viper. Some impressions;

1. Ditched the Michelins right away do to excessive sidewall cracking. Looked like I was gonna throw tread. Installed BFG KDW NT's, and really enjoyed the ride. I heard complaints about noise, but they seemed fine to me. No quieter or louder than the Michelins they replaced, or any other tire I run. $1300 for all four (stock sizes) from Discount Tire.

2. I also didn't find the rear springs disagreable. From the FFR Cobra, I'm used to firm springs (2200 lb car with 800 lb rear springs), so I may be biased or just used to a very firm ride. I'm gonna run it for a while more before I make any suspension changes.

3. Freaking car ran like stink! The only hiccup during the whole trip was about 5 seconds of slight hesitation while cruising @ 80 mph. I wrote it off to a bit of bad gas, injector hiccup, who knows. Happened about 10 hours into the trip, and never happened again. The car ran @ 185-190 on the open road, and never got above @ 210, even in an hour of Los Angeles rush hour crap! Ambient temps were @ 80.

4. The motor sounds like a damn truck in 6th gear at 75-85 mph, but I was averaging @ 19-22 mpg.

5. I thought the stereo and A/C were very adequate. We'll see how I feel in July/August in Arizona.

6. This car has more personality in it's clam shell hood than my Z06 had bumper to bumper.

7. I can't wait to get in it tomorrow!:2tu:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I have nothing to compare it to, but I kinda like the ride on mine!

It's because you have that huge wing. The 1100# springs were necessary when WC/T-1 rules allowed the GTS-R wing and splitters. High speed/downforce combinations can put softer springs down on the bump rubbers and you lose wheel rate control. The Dynamics were generally panned because of being too stiff for non-wing, or non-racetrack driving.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth