GEN II - Installing HID Fog Lights

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN II – HID Fog Light Installation

Parts:
  • DDM Limited Edition Slim HID Xenon Conversion Kits
    Wattage: 35, Bulb Type: H3, Bulb Color: 3000K (yellow)

You must be registered for see images

• 1’ x 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastening System (super velcro)
  • 2 x 2" PVC DWV Flexible Cap - Model/Part# PQC-102 (Home Depot)

• 4 - 6 o-rings (OD 15/16”, ID 3/4”, 4 thickish – 1/8” or 6 regular – 1/10”)
    I suggest using high temperature o-rings, the responses that I received while inquiring about the expected HID fog light temperature were mixed
  • 4 x 14-16 gauge Posi-locks (wire connectors)
    Posi-Lock(TM) - The Best Connectors You'll Ever Use!
  • Electrical tape
  • 3/8” x 4’ - Split seam flex tube
Tools:
  • Protective pad/blanket
  • Multi-purpose wiring tool
  • Pliers (flat or needle nose)
  • 5/16” socket or wrench
HID bulb color chart

I wanted to retain as many of the OE parts as possible in case there were issues with the HIDs. I wanted to keep the ability to return the fog lights to their original working condition. I also like a clean installation. The only OE part that needed to be used in a modified condition was the OE wiring harness on the bulb side of the connector. It needed to be cut so that it could be joined to the HID wiring harness.

Instructions:

Remove the front fascia. See - GEN II - Removing the Front Fascia

Place it on the protective pad/blanket.

Remove the OE fog lamps by removing the 3 5/16” hex screws on each lamp base.

Here is the fascia after the driver side fog lamp was removed and a few suicidal bugs were wiped off.

Pull the seal from the rear of the fog lamp. Squeeze and lift the bulb retainer wire away from the base of the bulb. Remove the seal, bulb and wiring. Disconnect both the brown (ground) and yellow (power) blade connectors.

Connect the ballast to the HID wire harness. Connect the black (ground) and blue (power) blade feeds from the HID wire harness to the brown (ground) and yellow (power) connectors on the OE seal. Insert the OE wiring connector back into the feed on the viper. Turn the fog lights on to make sure that there are no issues with the new equipment (wiring, bulbs, ballast, etc). Contact the manufacturer/distributor if the new HID bulbs don’t illuminate.

This is the OE fog lamp with the seal, bulb and wiring removed.

There is a deflector located inside the fog lamp that keeps the light from being blinding. This view is down through the bulb base towards the outer fog lap cover.

The HID bulb is longer than the OE bulb and comes into contact with the deflector when it’s fully inserted into the bulb base. Place 2 or 3 o-rings into the bulb base to keep the HID bulb from coming into contact with the deflector. Compress the ends of the bulb retainer wire (use a pair of flat or needle nose pliers) to compensate for the HID bulb being partially backed-out of the bulb base.

Remove the HID bulb upper protective cover. Break and remove the protective cover base. Insert the HID bulb into the fog lamp base. Clamp it down with the bulb retainer wire. A little maneuvering of the bulb and wire may be necessary.

Use a sharp blade to cut a crosshair design in the new fog lamp base cover so that the HID bulb wiring can pass through the cover.

Cut the grommet off the HID bulb wiring harness. Pass the HID bulb connectors through the new fog lamp base cover so that the fog lamp is on the inside of the cover. Position the lamp cover over the lamp base.

The only part of the OE installation that needs to be modified is the power/ground wiring on the bulb side of the connector. One of mine was clearly cut and then butt connected together at the assembly plant. Snip these in the middle so that they can be joined to the new HID wiring harness and can also be returned to OE if needed.

This OE connector will be joined to the HID wiring harness. Snip the blade connectors off the HID wiring harness (blue and black wires).
*(This picture shows the HID bulb attached, but at this point it is already installed in the fog lamp.)

Use the posi-lock connectors to join the wiring (power: blue to yellow, ground: black to brown).
*(This picture shows the HID bulb attached, but at this point it is already installed in the fog lamp.)

Use some electrical tape to tape the posi-lock connectors together.

Apply the 3M dual lock to the back of the ballast (2 3” strips).

Wrap the split seam flex tubing around the wiring.

Install the HID fog lamps using the 3 5/16” hex screws on each lamp base.

Both HID fog lamps installed in the fascia.

Continued on the next post...

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...continued from the previous post...

Clean the area inside the passenger side of the fascia. Remove the backing from the 3M dual lock on the HID ballast. Affix the HID ballast on the outside of the wheel well wall. Press firmly.

Connect the passenger side HID ballast power connector to the viper OE connector.

Repeat for the driver side.

Completed driver side.

Completed passenger side.

Position the fascia in front of the viper. Connect the driver side HID fog lamp wiring connectors to the connectors for the HID ballast. Connect the side marker lamp connections.

Repeat for the passenger side.

Turn the HID fog lights on to make sure that there are no issues with the new equipment (wiring, bulbs, ballast, etc). Contact the manufacturer/distributor if the new HID bulbs don’t illuminate.

Install the front fascia.

Done.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, you are GOOD! And before anybody asks, this is now copied to the Illustrated Upgrades for future reference as well. Excellent job Ken, and thanks!!!

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up. Can't wait for the headlights one because I've no fog lamps anymore :)

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good write up. Installed mine with the bumper on, didn't want the headache of realigning the stripes. I didn't use the o rings though I might revisit and use some. Did you touch the deflectors inside your fog lights? Mine were almost free floating, kinda loose as if they had previously had hid's installed in them. That is one of the only reasons why I have not done the O-ring thing yet, I am afraid that while driving the deflector is going to bounce up and down.

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you touch the deflectors inside your fog lights? Mine were almost free floating, kinda loose as if they had previously had hid's installed in them.

I did not touch the deflectors, but I did notice some fold down tabs that I thought must be keeping it in place. Mine were very stationary. I initially inserted the HID bulb and it did touch the deflector, that's why I used the o-rings to back it out a little. I believe these to be the deflector tabs holding it in place...

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up. Can't wait for the headlights one because I've no fog lamps anymore :)

Thanks. I certainly have all the pictures, but I wasn't planning on doing one for the headlights. There is a great YouTube video showing a viper installation, although I mounted my HID ballasts to the inside of the dust cover, not on the headlamp side like they did in the video...DIY HID Xenon Install: Dodge Viper 1992-2010

There is also a DIY on the SharpHID website...HID Headlights - 92-02 Dodge Viper

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R