Painting the Hoodpad on a GEN II

Parts:
  • Plastic sheeting/drop cloths
  • Rustoleum Universal – Gloss Canary Yellow
  • Rustoleum Universal – Gloss Cardinal Red
  • Rustoleum Universal – Gloss Black
  • Rustoleum Universal – Satin Black
  • Rustoleum Universal – Flat Black
  • New hood insulation retainers (19 for the hoodpad and 7 for the sidepad)
  • Painter’s tape (blue)
  • Masking tape
  • Paper Towels and water
  • Viper logo vinyl decal (20” wide and 5” tall)
You must be registered for see images

Tools:
  • Channel lock pliers (for hood insulation retainer removal)
  • 1/2” wrench (hood insulation ground)
  • Exacto knife
First, we’ll tackle the Sneaky Pete logo. Then we’ll do the Viper logo.

Remove the hoodpad.

Cover the engine with a piece of the plastic sheeting. This will keep any debris from getting into the nooks and crevices in and around the engine.

Remove each of the tree fasteners holding the 2 ground straps. The tree fasteners may or may not come loose from the hoodpad. There is an internal tooth lock washer on the back of the hoodpad keeping the fastener, hoodpad and strap together. Be careful as the hoodpad around these fasteners can be crushed during the removal process. Try to get a flat tool between the hood and the washer. I broke one of my tree fasteners which forced me to remove the strap from the hoodpad. I left the other ground strap attached to the hoodpad while painting it.

My plan was to replace all of the hood insulation retainers, so I didn’t try to baby them. Remove each of the plastic hood insulation retainers (19). I did this project during the winter. Heating the retainers with a blow dryer will make them more pliable and less prone to breaking off and staying inside the hood…ask me how I know. Really…use a blow dryer…you will thank me for this tip.

The lower part of the hoopad will catch on the hood springs and not drop on the engine. I used some painters tape to keep the upper part of the hoodpad from dropping down until I had all of the retainers removed. Pull the hoodpad out and away from the hinges. You’ll have to remove the painters tape from the top. A helper at this point will come in handy, but I was able to remove it by myself. The lower section of the hoodpad won’t come between the hinges easily. It will need to be finessed. You will hear some cracking/tearing/ripping noises as you pull the hoodpad from between the hinges.

Wash the hoodpad.

I washed the hoodpad using water and paper towels. Let the hoodpad dry completely.

Paint the Sneaky Pete logo.

Paint the Base layer Gloss Black.

Mask off everything except the Sneaky Pete logo. Use the tape to outline the entire Sneaky Pete logo. Cover the rest of the hoodpad with plastic sheeting. Tape the plastic sheeting off around the logo. Apply multiple layers of the Gloss Black paint following the manufacturer’s directions. Once the paint is thoroughly dry, remove the tape layers and plastic sheeting.

Paint the 2nd layer Gloss Cardinal Red.

Mask off the black and the area to be painted yellow. Cover the rest of the hoodpad with plastic sheeting. Tape the plastic sheeting off around the logo. Apply multiple layers of the Gloss Cardinal Red paint following the manufacturer’s directions. Once the paint is thoroughly dry, remove the tape layers and plastic sheeting.

Paint the 3rd layer Gloss Canary Yellow.

Mask off the black and red areas. Use a thin layer of the blue painters tape so that it can be bent around the edges of the logo. Finish up with the masking tape. Cover the rest of the hoodpad with plastic sheeting. Tape the plastic sheeting off around the logo. Apply multiple layers of the Gloss Canary Yellow paint following the manufacturer’s directions. Once the paint is thoroughly dry, remove the tape layers and plastic sheeting.

Touch up the edges with a paint brush and trim any uneven edges with an exacto knife.

Paint the Last layer Satin Black.

Mask off the entire Sneaky Pete logo and ground wire(s) with plastic sheeting covered with painters/masking tape. Apply multiple layers of the Satin Black paint following the manufacturer’s directions. Once the paint is thoroughly dry, remove the tape layers and plastic sheeting.

Perform any final touch-ups required.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint the Viper logo.

Prepare the Viper graphic.

I had my local graphics shop make a viper logo (Viper) that was 20” x 5”. The color doesn’t matter as it will only be used as a template. Tell them not to ‘****’ it. You will be using the part that is normally weeded out as your template. Remove the Viper letters from the graphic. The white in this picture is where the lettering was removed. I traced the outline approximately 1/2” around the perimeter. I used an exacto knife to cut the graphic into 2 pieces, the Viper graphic and the background graphic.

Paint the Viper background graphic Flat Black.

Apply the background graphic to the upper section of the hoodpad. The vinyl graphic doesn’t tightly adhere to the painted surface so I masked off the background graphic with tape so it will stay in place. Cover the rest of the hoodpad with plastic sheeting. Tape the plastic sheeting off around the graphic. Apply multiple layers of the Flat Black paint following the manufacturer’s directions. Once the paint is thoroughly dry, remove the tape layers, graphic and plastic sheeting.

Paint the Viper graphic Gloss Canary Yellow.

Apply the viper graphic onto the newly painted section. It should match perfectly. Mask off the viper graphic with tape so it will stay in place. Cover the rest of the hoodpad with plastic sheeting. Tape the plastic sheeting off around the logo. Apply multiple layers of the Gloss Canary Yellow paint following the manufacturer’s directions. Once the paint is thoroughly dry, remove the tape layers, graphic and plastic sheeting.

Touch up the edges with a paint brush and trim any uneven edges with an exacto knife.

I also painted the sidepad (located on the driver’s side of the hood) Satin Black. There are 7 plastic hood insulation retainers holding it to the hood.

Install the hoodpad and sidepad.

As info, I did this mod over 2 years ago and the paint hasn’t deteriorated at all. I clean it from time to time by wiping it with a damp microfiber towel.

Last edited:

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up Ken! Are you using the satin black layer so the rest of the paint will have something to adhere to?

I like the addition of the wording, just wondering why you choose to make an outline instead of just using the word Viper? I want to do this to mine, but I'll use the ACR logo instead :)

Thanks!

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up Ken! Are you using the satin black layer so the rest of the paint will have something to adhere to?

The satin black layer came after the entire Sneaky Pete logo was painted. I didn't give it a thought as to being a base layer for the other paint layers.

I like the addition of the wording, just wondering why you choose to make an outline instead of just using the word Viper? I want to do this to mine, but I'll use the ACR logo instead :)

Thanks!

It's been so long since I did this mod, I don't remember if Dave6666 suggested that I paint the background flat black or I may have seen it on someone elses hoodpad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh