Gen III Startup

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for all of you: When you start up, do you step on the brake as well as the clutch or do you use the hand brake instead? Mine doesn't fire up if I step on the brake; it will turn over though.

21bubba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aftermarket alarm- anti thief device perhaps? Either way... it ain't right.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is weird. I just step on the clutch key on position and hit the start button. Never had to do any other funky song and dance for it to start.

DStJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on where I am parked. Typically I push in the clutch, step on the brake and then hit the start button

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Not sure what goes with your 05...BUT, I am in the same startup camp as "DStJohn"...set handbrake, pull gearshift to neutral, foot on brake HARD, clutch in, then hit start.

Reason for all of the above: If the slave cylinder faills without being detected by fluid leak/loss...and car is in gear, pushing the clutch in will not stop the car from moving. The "silent" slave cylinder issue in not uncommon... seems to ME that it occurs more frequently in cars without regular clutch fluid changes though I have no proof of same. There is nothing good about gritty, black clutch fluid!

The "silent" failure happened to one of our members in a Gen I...as car started (with clutch in) it went through the garage wall before guy could get it stopped.

OP
OP
V

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I wasn't able to duplicate the problem so I must have done something goofy at the time (column key switch lock I think). I have a LoJack but LoJack said I just have a basic tracking system that has nothing to do with the starting circuit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32