Gen IV ported intakes

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone installed the Arrow Racing ported Gen IV intake? DC Performance has one with dyno numbers avg 17-24RWHP for $1200 for the basic unit, no polishing or paint. Arrow is $1550 for the chrome to black but no other information posted.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of folks out here have them, they were the first to offer a ported Gen IV intake. I think initally when they came out a year ago they were $800 exchange. DC's make more power than the Arrow unit unless Arrow has made a recent porting upgrade. Call Dan at DC.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
City, DC has posted dyno numbers, see their site. DC has also done back to back vs. an Arrow using the same viper. As for CEL I've never heard the ported intake would trigger one? But, everyone I know with the intake also runs the mopar venom controller.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
City, DC has posted dyno numbers, see their site. DC has also done back to back vs. an Arrow using the same viper. As for CEL I've never heard the ported intake would trigger one? But, everyone I know with the intake also runs the mopar venom controller.

how about warranty ?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how about warranty ?

I wondered about warranty too,...but I figured 99.9% of the Dodge techs that would ever work on my car would never, ever figure out I have a ported manifold unless it was throwing some type of code that made them take the plenum off.

I've got a Bad Boyzz ported unit that's going on in the next week or two. By far the best machine work I've seen and they're installing it for me. If the manifolds on the market are ported correctly, I think the horsepower is going to be very similar.

I'll also run it without the Mopar controller to see if it throws a CEL. So far I have the ACR-X headers and BBG lightweigt dual disc clutch and no CEL's yet with over 2000 miles on the clutch and 3500 with the headers. If it doesn't throw a CEL with the addition of the ported manifold I'll be impressed. Eventually I will do the controller to get rid of the skip shift and add a couple more hundred rpm on the top.

Cheers,
George

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but on a gen3, you have a fair chance at engine trouble it seems. (not looking to start that debate) if you have to pull the engine and send it back to arrow, they are likely going to see it. especially if they did the porting.

i swear i heard that happened somewhere. id hate to see guys get jammed up like that. thats why i ask.

i find it hard to believe BBG, DC, arrow etc will have much of a difference in power. 5-7hp either way wont make much of a difference IMO

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but on a gen3, you have a fair chance at engine trouble it seems. (not looking to start that debate) if you have to pull the engine and send it back to arrow, they are likely going to see it. especially if they did the porting.

i swear i heard that happened somewhere. id hate to see guys get jammed up like that. thats why i ask.

i find it hard to believe BBG, DC, arrow etc will have much of a difference in power. 5-7hp either way wont make much of a difference IMO

I do wonder if it would make a difference on the sniffer part of a smog test :dunno:

I bought another intake to have ported, keeping the stock one if I ever decide to sell the car, have to get it smogged, send back for a rebuild, etc.

Like you said, I think the hp gains will be very similar if ported correctly.

Cheers,
George

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We spent quite a bit of development time on our Gen 4 intake manifold porting. We have tried many differing configurations, including welding up runner areas and changing port alignment. All this has been tested on the dyno. The final results has been very repeatable and proven. I think what makes this modification work is all the testing we did. About 3 pounds of material is removed to get the flow where we want it. Our intakes are labor intensive and include many changes.

With all the manifolds we tested, there was no check engine lights or limp in conditions. Of the numerous intakes we have done there were no issues.

This modification will not change the emissions of the vehicle. In regards to the warranty, that is up to the policy of the dealer. Our policy is that if a failure is not related to an aftermarket part then it should be covered, if it is then it should not. You need to talk to your dealer about this.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In regards to the warranty, that is up to the policy of the dealer. Our policy is that if a failure is not related to an aftermarket part then it should be covered, if it is then it should not. You need to talk to your dealer about this.

Any dealer that feels differently is in violation of the magnuson-moss warranty act. By law, the warranty must be honored unless the modification is a direct cause of the malfunction.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is how Chrysler's warranty is. I called them and asked about installing headers and they told me if the problem is not a result of the modification then it would still be under warranty.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arrow intake on my '08 with no problems. (DC was not available when I purchased the Arrow).

No CELs and no problems. The car seems to pull stronger in the upper rpms. It was a good mod!

Reaction score
I had the Arrow intake done on my 08' when it was just out and although I already had Belangers, PCM, Corsa I made (on different, but similar conditions days) 24hp on top of my previous gains and it does pull much harder at the top end (perceived). I have since seen the DC and BBG intakes and they are much prettier (cleaner looking work) then mine, but I would think numbers would be similar in any case.

I doubt it by itself will cause a CEL and even headers will not cause one unless you drive around at 1500 rpm all day and the cats are too cool to be efficient. Then you will get a P code for that. This can be cleared with some spirited driving though.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a gen4 and am interested in a ported intake and heads.
what is the cost for this and how labor intensive is it. about how many hours to install?
i have the vnom controller and headers so do i have to worry abt tuning or no?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It depends on if you have headers or are adding anything else at the same time, but figure 10-12hrs.
If you really hustle you could do it in a day, but it takes time to clean everything up and you do not want to rush engine assembly work.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to let everyone in the Viper Nation know that we at BAD BOYZZ GARAGE are working on a new design element for the Gen 4 Viper's intake system. We are currently manufacturing our Proto-types & should be into testing late Feburary early March.

As soon as we have project fully tested & are confident that it will produce power only then will we go into production.

We at BBG are hard at work in the Garage on our R&D projects to produce high quality performance parts for your Dodge Viper!

Thanks for your consideration.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy Gomez - President

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER= :usa:

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I need to make a trip to Tomball and get mopar controller installed first.

In case you didn't know it's just 3 screws/bolts and 4 connectors. It would take you 15 to 20 minutes to do it yourself. I've swapped mine on my 08 and 09. The first time it may have taken me 30 minutes.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to let everyone in the Viper Nation know that we at BAD BOYZZ GARAGE are working on a new design element for the Gen 4 Viper's intake system. We are currently manufacturing our Proto-types & should be into testing late Feburary early March.

As soon as we have project fully tested & are confident that it will produce power only then will we go into production.

We at BBG are hard at work in the Garage on our R&D projects to produce high quality performance parts for your Dodge Viper!

Thanks for your consideration.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy Gomez - President

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER= :usa:

I have a little inside info on what Toddy's people are working on...if I were in the market for one I would hold off until you see what they are doing...

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are hard at work in the Garage developing our performance modifications to compliment our Gen 4 Race Ported Intakes & Cylinder Heads.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC. :usa:
Toddy

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case you didn't know it's just 3 screws/bolts and 4 connectors. It would take you 15 to 20 minutes to do it yourself. I've swapped mine on my 08 and 09. The first time it may have taken me 30 minutes.

I guess I should have been more clear, I needed to purchase the new "off road" controller and have Morgan do the install using the computers to program VIN, mileage, ect. Once that was done, he showed me how to swap it back to OEM for testing.

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent BBG my intake to do some port work and all I can say is WOW, what a fantastic job!!!:2tu: Have not hit the dyno yet, that is coming April 1 at Viper Round Up.

Before:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

After:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

If your thinking about this, BBG is the place!!!:usa:

Thanks Toddy, one VERY satisfied customer!:headbang: