Gen V - "a naked woman on the beach"

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
According to Automotive News:

Chrysler Group LLC says the new Dodge Viper sports car is going to be “drop-dead beautiful” and is meant to draw buyers from Porsche SE's cars and General Motors Co.'s Corvette.

The new Viper's look was inspired by “a naked woman on the beach,” said Ralph Gilles, the head of Chrysler's design. The car will be released next year as a 2013 model-year vehicle, Gilles told reporters at the Automotive News World Congress Thursday in Detroit.

“It's an icon, and as a performance brand, it's important for me to have a performance vehicle,” Gilles, who also is head of the Dodge brand, told reporters after the event.

Chrysler, managed by Italy's Fiat SpA, wants to draw buyers from competing vehicles such as Porsches and the Chevrolet Corvette, Gilles said. The new Viper will be profitable, and its sales volume isn't important, he said.

Chrysler sold 392 Vipers last year, down from 482 in 2009 and 1,172 in 2008, according to researcher Autodata Corp., a researcher in Woodcliff Lake, N.J.

Dodge needs to do more to make the Viper an aspiration to consumers and the redesign gives them a chance to “make it a renaissance of that vehicle,” said Rebecca Lindland, an industry analyst with IHS Automotive.

“There are not a lot of younger people, and by younger I mean under 45, who aspire to own a Corvette or a Viper,” she said.

While production of the sports car ceased in July, the automaker's five-year turnaround plan included the possibility of bringing it back in 2012.

Design break

Gilles has overseen the redesign or refresh of 16 vehicles since Chrysler exited bankruptcy in 2009. After such a busy time, Gilles said he worried that his staff had grown stagnant and told them to halt work and take some time off. He declined to say which vehicle they were working on when they stopped.

“We've been working so quickly and so fast that we're not innovating like we used to,” Gilles said.

The new Viper won't use engines from Fiat's Ferrari brand, Gilles said. Dodge will be able to sell a small number of Vipers in Europe, he said, without being specific.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110114/OEM04/110119833/1115#ixzz1B31hLi00

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Absolutely!

Marv, Chris...... can we have a Gen V section?

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wake me up when at least a concept rendering and performance specifications are available. I'm not getting my hopes up until then.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the version sold to heterosexual women look like a naked man on the beach? LOL.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ralph cautiously floated that same statement at VOI-11 dinner...... except he might have mentioned a specific Oscar-winner actress in the same sentence......

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Be berry berry quiet bout the design. All Halle to the Chief , of design.

She will be a voluptous Viper and starting to sound like we should name her EVE..........temptress coming in 2012!!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't think of too many Oscar winning actresses that I would pay $85k to see laying naked on a beach....even if it was every day for 5 years. I want to know PERFORMANCE DATA.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wake me up when at least a concept rendering and performance specifications are available. I'm not getting my hopes up until then.

No kidding. These articles on the net do nothing but irritate those of us who still feel a bit screwed for not seeing photos of the concept yet. Another reason to question the VCA membership I had, when it was "unveiled" but not shared with the rest of the paying membership here. Who wants to bet that the media will get first dibs on viewing the concept since the VOI meet, and it will end up in magazines before the rest of the VCA members get to see pics?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My bet is both the media and the club get the go-ahead when the embargo is lifted within the same 24 hours. So you SHOULD see it here first by some hours.....it will NOT be in any printed mag before [2011] Members see it here first

And remember: The full-size model we saw in the Sneak Peek Room (by spending Waaay more than member annual dues) was, and is a work-in-progress. Not ready for prime-time-consumption. But worth the wait!

Last edited:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now really, shouldn't this post be put in a new section titled Gen V Viper?
Very good idea. This should have been done with the Gen IV (or 3.5) too but the idea was ignored. I think if it's a new body and new engine, then it should have it's own forum.

BTW, I think the inspiration of "a naked woman on the beach" is way too crude. Post some photos and spare us the the cheap talk. :dunno: And if you have been to a **** beach, then you know what that image looks like. :lmao:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most importantly, Dodge should get back into racing particularly Le Mans.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one here that feels that the legacy of the Viper has been sold out? The Gen V will compete with Porsche and corvette...........REALLY? The Viper used to be in a class of it's own, Fiat sold out plain and simple.............the new Viper is dead to me :mad:

They don't care about sales volume??? Sales volume is all they care about, rationalize it any way you want, you can put lipstick on a pig..................

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one here that feels that the legacy of the Viper has been sold out? The Gen V will compete with Porsche and corvette...........REALLY? The Viper used to be in a class of it's own, Fiat sold out plain and simple.............the new Viper is dead to me :mad:

They don't care about sales volume??? Sales volume is all they care about, rationalize it any way you want, you can put lipstick on a pig..................

I thought you sold your viper years ago, I guess us present viper owners have a more positive outlook on the situation

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen V will compete with Porsche and corvette...........REALLY?

While the Viper IS in a class of it's own the Viper has always set it's sights on the competition (i.e. corvette and porsche) and made sure that it pounded them into the ground. I have no doubt that when the GEN V does come out there will not be a thing on the road that can touch it for the cost. :D

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought you sold your viper years ago, I guess us present viper owners have a more positive outlook on the situation

How many freakin' people own a Gen V now? Don't you dare preach to me about what it takes to represent the Viper you putz! I'm entitled to my opinion as are you, I've done at least as much as you and probably more to promote the Viper, I've gotten more Viper owners on the track then you can ever hope to. So stop nut-swinging and think for yourself.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The legacy of the Viper has not been sold out. The legacy is to be the the king. Look at the Nissan GTR. Look at the ZR1. Look at the new Porsche GT3. Keep in mind the upcoming change(s) in government regulations. Other performance car manufacturers are aware of the intense competition for our performance dollars and continually upgrade their cars as technology gets better and better. Unless the Viper evolves, it will not survive in its automotive environmental niche. Some people like old technology in cars. I am not one of them. I have continuously upgraded the all around performance of my car and look forward to see what magic the SRT Engineers and Ralph produce with the Gen V.

I think that those of us who have spent time speaking with Ralph one on one have a different view of reality than some of those who have not. Ralph is a young, incredibly energetic, highly competitive car guy who races, who happens to be the head of the Dodge Brand and the Senior VP of Design for Chrysler. He is an artist-gearhead-executive with natural leadership ability. He does not have a phony bone in his body. He is highly unusual for an executive with the power he wields.

I know it is hard for some to do but trust Ralph. He will not disappoint us because he will not disappoint himself. He is proud of and loves the Viper. The Gen V will be a game changer and blow the collective mind of the automotive world just like the first Gen I did so many years ago.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a Halle Barry fan, so I hope the actual Gen V pics and design are something more than that!

The new car must have improvements in performance, ergonomics and style, with pricing comparable to Gen IV.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many freakin' people own a Gen V now?

:lmao::lmao::lmao:latched like a Shepherd.

In all seriousness, Ron has a point. Why not post a damn picture? I moved on to another car for the time being. A picture might make a person plan for purchase versus a cheese laden statement describing a car as a curvaceous woman. Was she fat, does she have huge cans, big lips, or is she now a European girl with armpit hair and bad teeth? Post a picture already. While Dodge feels they are building suspense, in my case, they are loosing a customer.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen V will not be available for approximately 18 months. If I saw the final version now, by the time the car was available it would not be as exciting. I like the tease approach. They are undoubtedly staggering the introduction of the SRT8 models across Chrysler's product lines to fill the void until the strip tease begins. I expect that we will start seeing a strip tease similar to what was done with the marketing of the new Chrysler 300 sometime starting in the late spring or this summer. Dodge's marketing people are pretty astute.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao::lmao::lmao:latched like a Shepherd.

In all seriousness, Ron has a point. Why not post a damn picture? I moved on to another car for the time being. A picture might make a person plan for purchase versus a cheese laden statement describing a car as a curvaceous woman. Was she fat, does she have huge cans, big lips, or is she now a European girl with armpit hair and bad teeth? Post a picture already. While Dodge feels they are building suspense, in my case, they are loosing a customer.

Brady,

All dodge is doing is building a car, they let a few people that paid thousands a head see a concept, it was a work in progress. They are not releasing pics because it gives the competition a leg up on what is in effect a trade secret at this point. It is not a slight of hand or teh work of the devil, it is just business. Most people wouldn't have disclosed the car at all, they didn;t have to, they decided to get opinions from Viper owners about what they had done so far. Those of us who did not make the treck to Utah, should not feel slighted we should just be happy that our bretheren had a vote to cast for those who did not go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave