Gen V on track - MSR Houston

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

We had a private rental at MSR Houston. It was my first time on this particular track, and the first time to take the Gen V on a course. Overall, I'm very pleased with the car. I probably made 20 laps in it, and improved as I got to know the track and the limits of the car. This is a 2013 SRT with track pack. My best lap was 1:48.

http://youtu.be/9lFhGhfXRGQ

I also took my daily-driver out there. Cadillac CTS-V sedan, makes about 520 rwhp. I went 1:57 in the Cadillac. Also the first time I've taken that car out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr4_B0OdFXA

The track was a little damp on the edges due to some hard rain that came through in the AM, but it was a blast. The Gen V is easier to drive with confidence than my Gen 3 is. I left the full electronics on, and they stepped in a few times to correct the car. Once I learned the limits of the computer nannies, I was able to maintain smoother lines without having them interfere. Tire grip and braking were excellent, no fade at all. It probably didn't do me much good to rotate each vehicle back to back, while the other cooled down. That made me less consistent, since I'd have to adjust my braking, traction and acceleration judgement based on two highly different vehicles. But, I had a blast.

You must be registered for see images attach

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk about a track with some run off room!! Great place to get the feel of a new car without worrying about "hard" stuff to bump into.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice video.. what gears did you use.

Mostly 3rd, and 4th at the top of the straights. I found the torque of 3rd gear was enough to accelerate out of most turns, without having to downshift. Even in 3rd, I couldn't floor it without spinning the tires or kicking the rear out. 2nd gear always resulted in tire spin, so I quit using it.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mostly 3rd, and 4th at the top of the straights. I found the torque of 3rd gear was enough to accelerate out of most turns, without having to downshift. Even in 3rd, I couldn't floor it without spinning the tires or kicking the rear out. 2nd gear always resulted in tire spin, so I quit using it.

That's a cool track. It is fun taking two different cars out on the track. At Laguna Seca I'm in 3rd gear most of the time too. Z06 and the ACR.
These cars have enough torque to do that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvXgWF3K3yU

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like a very cool track...I would have wanted turn-in and apex cones to make my life easier, but it seemed like you managed just fine.

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear there were 465 Gen V Vipers sold thus far before the 2014 release. It was my understanding that 2000 would be built in 2013. Is this true?

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 8XX were built in 2013, due to the late start of production and deliveries. Only 170 SRT models like mine built. Probably even fewer with my options :)

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done MSR a few times and its a nice track but not quit like TWS. Grab a good instructor next time and watch your times really drop. Good video.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TWS is my favorite in TX. Been there many times. I had my '06 coupe up to almost 180 on the banked straight :)

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a blast, Tony! Love the way that CTS-V screams. Good to see another Viper driven the way it was meant to be.

Speaking of which, I'm off to Spring Mountain Raceway for a few days to track the Viper along with some ZR1s, Grand Sports and Z06s. I'm taking the Ron Fellows Level 2 driving school. They're going to let me run the Viper each day for the last two sessions. Should be quite a learning experience, and a good comparo to the Vettes.

Todd

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd, get video of your runs at Spring Mountain! I'd love to see a nice detailed write-up comparing the ZR1 vs your Gen V. Whether for good, or bad.

Tony

Ian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like he missed just about every apex ? ? ?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a pro. This was my first visit to this track. This was my first event in this car. There is always room for improvement.
Yes,
No negative critique here. You are driving a new car at a new track -first/first.
Just testing the waters.

The car seems to have so much road course dominance available in it. I think with more familiarity -track and car, there isn't much out there that would be more fun.

Thanks for sharing the vid.

:2tu:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a pro. This was my first visit to this track. This was my first event in this car. There is always room for improvement.
....................I also noticed with myself, The better I get, the more I feel I have to learn. The more seat time I have, the more I realize I need more seat time.

I have had 17 track days so far this season, and am hoping to get a few more in as the weather turns colder.
........need the practice for next season.

:drive:

Gustfront

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good to see a Gen V on a road course. Were there any ACR's out also?. You said it's a 2013 SRT with track pack. How did that Track Pack work compared to ACR's with downforce?

Wade

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you had fun, who cares what you ran or how you drove. I am envious you just got out in a new Gen V which happens to be your own. Fun track!

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see a Gen V on a road course. Were there any ACR's out also?. You said it's a 2013 SRT with track pack. How did that Track Pack work compared to ACR's with downforce?

Wade

There were four ACR's (Gen 4) out there with us. One was highly modified, more of a track-only car. The other three were mostly stock. Only one had a timer, and we both ran identical times. 1:47-1:49 range, which is actually good for this track. But hey, I missed apex's. And I'll do it again.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were four ACR's (Gen 4) out there with us. One was highly modified, more of a track-only car. The other three were mostly stock. Only one had a timer, and we both ran identical times. 1:47-1:49 range, which is actually good for this track. But hey, I missed apex's. And I'll do it again.

You and I should have run together to see if there was any difference in our lap times since I didn't time any. I passed Cody a couple of times, I'm not sure if they were his in or out laps though.

Gustfront

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thank you. Once I get back to the States , I'll have to start tracking my car more. I took it to TWS with the BMW club and it was a blast. Scary, but fun. I'm used to the electronics doing all the work for me with the M6.

Last edited: