GENII - problems with pass.door - not shutting properly

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After becoming more and more familiar with the new Viper (new to me as this is a 98 GTS), more and more little flaws come afloat.

I have noticed the passenger door has become difficult to shut. It seems that it needs to be adjusted as if I simply gently push it shut, it won't close properly - if I hold it up as I push it shut all the way, then it shuts no problem. I don't seem to have this problem with the driver's door as that one shuts easily.

But...on the driver's side, if I am parked on any kind of incline then the driver's side doesn't seem to stay open - the passenger side stays open no problem.

While both of these problems I can certainly live with, I would like to get them addressed if there are things I can simply do to adjust them.

I have searched and all I can come up with are replacing the hingers...is there a link that shows how to adjust them?

Thanks for the viper help! :drive:

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This must be a somewhat common issue, I think. I've noticed several posts about "door alignment". Do a search for it and you will find tons of info. Over time, the doors will sag and will result in the doors being hard to shut all the way unless they are held up while shutting. Good luck!

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks cyaford..found lots of posts about the hinges and how they can be adjusted.

NO I AM NOT BARRY, FOR THE RECORD! :D

I am trying to find a generous sould that might have taken photos of the 3 bolts that need to be loosen so that I don't accidently loosen the wrong one - I am going to adjust the pass. door tonight as soon as I can figure out how to do it.

As far as the driver's door not stayin' put, that will be a different chapter altogether...

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The door hinge is crap. The metal tab that flexes and holds your drivers side door in place has broken off. You need a new hinge. I've just learned to live with it.

The 3 bolts are very obvious. You have to take the panel off that covers the hinge/bolts.

Just make sure when you loosen the bolts you do not lose any shims that are behind them.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator for tips and a new hinge at a discount. Tator's Dodge: 914-763-3136

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The door hinge is crap. The metal tab that flexes and holds your drivers side door in place has broken off. You need a new hinge. I've just learned to live with it.

The 3 bolts are very obvious. You have to take the panel off that covers the hinge/bolts.

Just make sure when you loosen the bolts you do not lose any shims that are behind them.

Thanks man - I tackled the issue and while it took me about an hour of trial and error, I was able to line it up. Problem solved.

I also decided to tackle the other door. I took the cover off and discovered the henges were not broken...they might have been worn off due to use...so I was able to tweak it some and the problem is now solved (or at least it is considerably better). I will start a new thread with photos of the fix...thanks.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same problem with mine.

One of the retired CAAP workers said they would help me adjust my door but that never happened.

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem with mine.

One of the retired CAAP workers said they would help me adjust my door but that never happened.

the admins have moved the post I did with photos on how to do it - try it out - it is really not that difficult - it will take you about an hour to do...:headbang:

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any better pics? I tried to figure out what you did, and based on the fuzzy pics, am clueless.

sorry man, the flash kept screwing me up. If you are ready to do it, I will pm you my number - give me a call and I can explain better...:2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62