Getting MGW knob on, holy Sh*t..........

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tools needed: 19mm & 17 mm wrenches.

Pull shifter boot down to expose jam nut at the base of the shifter knob. Loosen jam nut, unscrew shifter knob.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
I just did mine, 00 gts, and it was a pain to get that thing loose the first time. Must be a robot that puts that together. What worked for me was to put the wrench on the jam nut right of center, wrench on the shifter in center then pull them together. Good luck!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Here's the secret:

Attach an open end wrench to each nut, close enough to each other to squeeze them (as you would the arms of a pliers) in one hand. Squeeze firmly..and ****!

This will avoid slipping or burring.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did mine last night and I was amazed at how difficult it was to undo. But I did it with 2 openend wrenches. Took me four tries to get me to use enough force, but it will losen, you just gotta crank on it!

Dodge swears no robots asembling Vipers and I believe them. Must be one big guy though.

BTW I found the shift knob to make a world of difference. Scared the sh*t out of me on my first 1st to 2nd shift this morning. Thought I knew how to drive the car, back to school I guess.

Shifting at 5200 I used to see the tach drop all the way to 3000 between shifts. With the MGW knob revs never get below 4000. What a difference! Not bad for $80. Not bad at all.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to know I wasn't the only "weakling" out there. That little locking nut was @#$%#$ tight! George, if you read this add one little thing to your instructions:

"Place TOP (shift knob) wrench at 7 o'clock position and BOTTOM (locking nut) at 5 o'clock and then squeeze together."

I found not having done it before and it being so tight I wasn't sure if the thread was reversed and didn't want to keep yanking on it to the point that I damaged something. Finally got it but it would have helped to be sure I wasn't squeezing it tighter. In the end my locking nut still doesn't move, like it's fused on. I screwed on the new MGW one until it's tight and lucked out with the snake head facing where I wanted it because I couldn't move the lock nut.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but my shifter went on in about 1 minute without any problems.
You must be registered for see images

nutsRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed the MGW shifter,knobs,lighter and oil dipstick in about 10 minutes. The shifter was easy using 2 adjustable wrenches.Put the first wrench on shifter stem using the indents. The second wrench on the hex nut 7 oclock position and loosened the hex nut slightly. The stock shifter knob screwed off easily. I just reversed the process to install the MGW. The new shifter makes a 100% improvement in going through the shift pattern.

Perry

Reaction score
you guys are whimps I had no problems...just kidding my 96 RT/10 was a bear but worth the effort. Everything I've seen from George has been quality work and he never seems to busy to chat with you when you call.

regards

Reaction score
Why are you guys complaining? There is no nut on the older shifters. I had to used a pair of vice grips on my 94 and of course I added a couple of scratches on my interior in the process.