Got my rocker back, wow!

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is so perfect ;) The paint match was dead on, these guys were amazing. Total price out the door, 362.00 and that included a butt load of welding aluminum, etc to repair the damage right

I took some shots of it, it is on the right side in this picture:

You must be registered for see images

The only issue is the black is slightly darker on the new one and a little more sheen, you can see it here:

He told me for 50 bucks he'd mask off and spray the black part of passenger side which definitely needs it even though all the noticeable damage is all on the bottom. I figure 2 birds with 1 stone as I really need it painted for the shade/sheen to match anyway. Here is a shot of the newly painted bottom in contrast to the one that hasn't been painted. Then in the third photo I started trying to clean all the tar/grime and crap off, I imagine this will make it look really nice once I get to polishing it. The part you see when looking at the car/rocker is near flawless that is why I didn't have the passenger side painted, guess I'm contemplating it now but I feel like it is just a waste of money to do the whole thing when really it is just the very bottom that nicked up (besides the black part). I feel like I can polish out the bottom and make it look really good, besides I feel like it is just going to get nicked up along with the new one and who looks under the car anyway but me lol :omg: The insulation has been wrapped in aluminum on this side as well, so hopefully I will not have any issues with bubbling, especially since the cats are removed but if I do I figure I'll just do it then:

Fresh Painted Rocker Bottom:

Passenger side before trying to get the tar/grime off

Starting to work on getting all the crap off so I can polish, coming out very nice, there are some deep scratches but again you could only see these if you were under the car. You can see in the screw hole recess how bad the underside was gunked up :omg: :

Interested in anyone's thoughts, would you have the black painted, do you think I'm being crazy not to paint the whole thing even though the red paint is very nice? Lastly, can I just keep the clear stickers off? I like the looks of the panel better without them, or is this paint suicide, if so can someone tell me where to pick up the clear vinyl?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah you are probably right, but for 50 bucks the black can look new again and then match 100% I think that is why I'm going to drop it off tomorrow.

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 50 bucks why not? Plus if you're like me, it'll bug the crap outta ya knowing one side looks better (even if its just slightly) than the other. Do it, and enjoy :)

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just something to keep in mind so you don't have a bubbling problem in the future.... I dealt with this problem on my '93 years ago and was fortunate to have Chrysler pick up the tab for two new side sills and insulation packs. The problem is generated by the use of steel bolts (underneath) and the steel rivets (holding the insulation package).

Make sure before you install that you get new aluminum bolts and drill out the steel rivets and replace with aluminum rivets. Your side pipe cover looks great... even though you can't see both sides at the same time, I'd still get the other one done.

Be good.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I do know that, thanks. I had them replace the rivets with the aluminum and the insulation even on the one that wasn't painted was updated, hopefully they used aluminum rivets but maybe I should just replace them just to be sure? I also am going to put a nylon washer between the sills and frame to isolate them as well.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a paint protection film business and will be happy to get you the film. All I need to know is how much you are looking for. PM me your contact info and I will get some out to you.

Thom

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Care to pass along the name & number of the shop?? They do look really nice...mine could use a little tlc as well.... thanks

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks very nice. I'd also like to know the name and location of the shop. I need to get my passenger sill done at some time due to a dimple on the bottom side from a previous owner. Can't see it unless your on the ground and looking for it, but it bugs me. I'll be taking it to my local body shop for a quote, but I'd like to at least compare with your shop and potentially ship to them if my shop doesn't work out with price or repair method (i.e. no plastic filler).

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I had mine done it also did not match. If you look
close it's a very dark grey not black.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own a paint protection film business and will be happy to get you the film. All I need to know is how much you are looking for. PM me your contact info and I will get some out to you.

Thom

Care to pass along the name & number of the shop?? They do look really nice...mine could use a little tlc as well.... thanks

Sure guys, it is Oxmoor Toyota (owned) Collision Center on Electron Drive in Louisville, KY. Ask for Ryan and say that Jason (me) told you to call him. The number is (502) 423-3980. They work on everything, but have 2 certified aluminum welder techs that do nothing but Audi and Porsches. The work is absolutely stunning honestly, they polished it (wet sanded etc.) and it is a "show quality" piece that I have to do nothing to except bolt on. I looked at 10+ shops before deciding on these guys, they seem very fair and honest and the work is top notch. Plus the tech understood about the aluminum and dis-similar metals/rivets etc.

On a side note I just dropped off my other side to get the black painted to match and all the scratches/dings, etc. out of the black part. Well when the tech saw the damage (and there was a lot, especially around the exhaust opening, it looks like someone beat it with a hammer, very out of round) they had to charge me another 100. They said they could just shoot it as is but they doubt I'd be happy as picky as I was, so I went ahead and green lighted it anyway, I want the black to be factory again.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On another note, can I leave the protected film off or is that suicide for my paint on the rockers???? I just like the clean look with nothing on it, but if it is going to have them looking like crap almost immediately I want to get it. Also I read that you need to let the paint fully cure before putting the 3M stuff on, how long is that, and do you just not drive it in the mean time :omg:

DanB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the protective film reapplied.

On a small area such as that you should have no film problems with a qualified installer.

You do not want the area chipped up before you have a chance to have it installed.

Just ask the NSX owner that couldn't wait one day to have it applied to his front end.

Spent a few grand to have his front end refinished. Couldn't wait over the weekend to go for a show/cruise and brought it back with 12 chips.

We had no problem charging him to refinish it again.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have the protective film reapplied.

On a small area such as that you should have no film problems with a qualified installer.

You do not want the area chipped up before you have a chance to have it installed.

Just ask the NSX owner that couldn't wait one day to have it applied to his front end.

Spent a few grand to have his front end refinished. Couldn't wait over the weekend to go for a show/cruise and brought it back with 12 chips.

We had no problem charging him to refinish it again.

Dan, thanks, but don't I have to wait like 30-60 days?????? If I can just apply it now I'm good with that, it is waiting for 2 months for the paint to dry that gets me :omg:

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOLOLOLOLOL, Viper Tax at its finest, I just called dodge, for the 6 stickers (both sides) it is over 600.00, are you F$#%^#@$%&$! kidding me, lol, I just laughed when the guy said it, I'll be doing them out of a 3M sheet I guess...

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah you are right, guess I can drive it if I have too with them off???? Would that hurt anything?

I just ordered the 3M stuff, should be here in a couple days, I'll practice on the passenger side that has not been painted, hopefully I can remove the originals for an "outline" pattern.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have sent it to you for free. But you need to wait 30 days before applying the film unless the shop says they are fully cured. If not you may pull the paint off if you need to replace those pieces in the future.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOLOLOLOLOL, Viper Tax at its finest, I just called dodge, for the 6 stickers (both sides) it is over 600.00, are you F$#%^#@$%&$! kidding me, lol, I just laughed when the guy said it, I'll be doing them out of a 3M sheet I guess...

Well just an update for anyone that cares, I got my 3M material in and took a shot at tracing the pattern and cutting/installing my own. Took forever to get the original brittle film off. I've only done the middle part on the original rocker which I think will be the hardest b/c all of the curves. I followed a 3M install video and took a shot, turned out damn near perfect, 1 tiny, I mean tiny air bubble, guess I'll have to just puncture it if it starts to bother me, guess I saved 600.00, lol, I still can't believe they charge that, now I've got a pattern and I'll save it I guess in case I have to do it again. Feels good to have a new film on there, the old one was destroyed, but did its job I guess, here is a pic after my install, not bad for a newbie :dunno: