got my viper dyno'd - pic inside

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got my viper dyno\'d - pic inside

thanx to www.westcoastviper.com for hooking me up :2tu: i am very pleased with the result > 542 rwhp & 575 rwtq. they installed their CNC ported & polished heads and a custom camshaft similar to the comp coupe cam. i also have the mopar T&D 1.7 ratio roller rockers. the bottom end of the engine is still the stock 488 CI and the compression ratio is a 91 octane friendly 9.8:1. they dyno tuned my stock computers A/F ratio, timing, etc. i am running bellanger headers, 3" random tech cats and 3" corsa cat back. i am gonna get a set of toyo RA-1 tires for the street because 1st gear is useless now and with the stock michellin POS tires i can light up 2nd gear. once i get my tires i will probably change my rear gear from the stock 3.07 to a 3.33. gotta see if i can bust 200 mph before i do that, so....... :headbang:

2776scan1-med.jpg

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: got my viper dyno\'d - pic inside

Very nice NA rear wheel numbers. With your burnout addiction, you better get a bulk deal on tires especially with this latest addition of mods. :D

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fast Freddy,

Lets sum up what you have:
Ported heads,
Custom cam,
Header
Cats
3'' cat back
Stock PCM tuned
Stock compression

Congratulation !!!

Just a question have you done something to the cooling system ? My friend has a similar Viper to yours and always pretended having 600hp at the engin. I never believed him :) Now I do. However this friend has (or had) an overheating trouble in traffic.

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Schulman - 542 rwhp = 625 hp at the crank with the standard 15% drivetrain loss. as far as my cooling system is concerned. i have a WCV aluminum triple pass radiator with a 172 degree thermostat. i run nothing but distilled water and 'neo cools' keep cool additive. i have my cooling fans set to come on at 195 degrees and turn off at 185 degrees. this has dropped my temperatures approximately 20 degrees. my car is setup for road racing thus the reason no coolant for me. where i live it seldom ever freezes and when it does my snake is tucked away in its cage. arizona gets tire blistering hot in the summertime and so i only road race my car here in the winter time. when i want to road race in the summer time i head for higher ground like northern nevada and albuqurque, new mexico where the temps are not as hot. if i lived in canada like you i would have to keep at least 50% coolant in my radiator though or i would end up with a cracked block.

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very nice NA rear wheel numbers. With your burnout addiction, you better get a bulk deal on tires especially with this latest addition of mods. :D

i was hoping for a gasoline sponsorship :nana:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very nice numbers, do you know what correction factor was used, was it SAE. Like Viper D, said, a little on the lean side, better use 93/94.

futureacrowner

Enthusiast
Reaction score

13.8-14.2:1 A/F on a wide open pull on pump gas. hahahahahaha

I'd start saving your $$$ for a new bottom end and to get those heads rebuilt when it comes apart.

tick tick BOOM!

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've read that because of the full synthetics used in the Viper drivetrain, that the average loss through the drivetrain is 12% instead of the standard 15% in most other cars.

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

all the tuning done on my vipers engine was done by manipulating the stock computers parameters. no aftermarket controller such as the mopar race controller or vec 1 & 2, etc. was used to tune my car. to my knowledge WCV is the only tuner in the world that has the ability to alter the stock computers parameters without resorting to some other means. the owner of WCV was a viper tech at a dodge dealer for 10 years and has a ex-caldwell lemans series race team viper tech working for him.

WCV has access to an "ENGINE DYNO" that gives accurate A/F ratios as well as EGT's etc. taking a A/F ratio reading from a vipers tail pipe on a gen 2 GTS coupe will give you a false lean reading as the tail pipe sniffer is over 10 feet away from the cylinder head as was the case on the A/F ratio reading you see on the dyno sheet i have provided here in this post. also don't forget you are analyzing the A/F ratio from a 10 cylinder engine not a V-8. also if you are running catalytic converters in which case i am this affects your A/F ratio as opposed to a viper that is not. thats why there are 02 sensors not only before your cats but after as well. that is also why catless exhaust systems get 02 sims installed on their rear 02 sensors. the vipers computer has different fuel maps that can richen or lean out the engines A/F ratio depending upon the prevailing atmospheric conditions such as the air intake temperature sensor, barometer sensor, manifold absolute pressure sensor, etc. if you want maximum performance from your vipers engine you need to do more research on the subject and then come back and play.

my viper engines A/F ratio at the headers is a 1/2 a point richer than what you see posted on the dyno sheet above. as an example if you were to richen up the vipers A/F ratio on the chassis dyno you would see a loss of power as we did. this indicates that the A/F ratio is to rich. also if you lean the A/F ratio out more than it already is you would loose power as well. it would be foolish to simply rely on A/F ratio reading from a dynojet chassis dyno to determine whether or not your car is running lean or not. i suggest you have your engine dyno tested on a "ENGINE DYNO" as well as chassis dyno too. all of WCV R&D on A/F ratios have been verified on an "ENGINE DYNO". also don't forget to check your EGT's and take plug readings. the type of spark plugs you are runnin as well as the heat range and gap they are set at all should be factored into the equation. also the spark advance and timing have to be taken into consideration as well. last but not least you have to know what your engines compression ratio is, which in my case is 9.8:1. obvioulsy if you are running a supercharger, turbos or nitrous you have to run a richer A/F ratio than i am. my motor has none of these power adders.

WCV shop resides at an elevation of 1,000 feet above sea level. depending on the elevation at which i will be driving my viper at dictates which type of fuel i run. at high elevation race tracks like nevadas silver state classic which is 6,000 feet above sea level i will run 91 octane fuel only. in my hometown where i live which is 3,000 feet above sea level i run 91 octane + an MMT octane booster which will yield approximately 94 octane. at low elevation road race tracks like phoenix international raceway in phoenix, arizona which is at 1,200 feet above sea level i will run 100 octane unleaded race gas. elevation is the biggest factor your vipers computer faces in deciding which fuel map its gonna use more so than air temperature or humidity. its also important to note that your vipers computer is slow to react to these changes as well, unlike cars with engines that have mass air flow sensors which the viper does not have. so make sure you give your computer a little time to adjust when you trailer your car to a lower elevation race track than the one you ran at the week before that was several thousand feet higher in elevation. thanx everybody for all of your concerns but i am fully confident in WCV work and my ability to manage it. they have given me a 1 year warranty on their parts and labor.

you know it was funny to see all the cars stacked up in their parking lot shipped to them from across the country to correct other well known viper tuners work that was done incorrectly. i even got to see the bills that some of these fools had paid these other so called tuners to do a botched job on their car and i was blown away by how much they were overcharged for a job that wasn't even done correctly.

good luck on your choices fellas.

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i have another bit of adivice for you guys concerning tuning. since the stock vipers ecu works off of different fuel maps its always a good idea to verify that the fuel map which your vipers engine is deciding to use at different elevations is properly tuned with respect to the A/F ratio. so with that said in addition to reading your spark plugs at different race tracks that reside at different elevations i recommend getting you car sniffed out on a chassis dyno at that specific elevation as well. in my hometown of Tucson, AZ we have a dynojet chassis dyno which resides at 3,000 feet elevation. i will be taking my car there to verify that my car is running the correct A/F ratio at this elevation. also one of the road race tracks that i plan on running at is in Albaqurque, New Mexico which is at 5,000 feet elevation above sea level. my car will be dyno'd for A/F ratio there too.

:2tu:

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

KabazaBoom!!!

Your car will run leaner on the street than on the dyno , Az. heat and cream puff do not mix. Get some fuel , fool......... :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456